Author Topic: Question about a 555 timer power pin setup  (Read 1579 times)

Offline uk.casmithTopic starter

• Contributor
Question about a 555 timer power pin setup
« on: August 30, 2018, 12:50:22 pm »
I'm following an electronics book and I was wondering if someone could help answer some questions for me:

I've got 9 volts connected to a 2.2K resistor going into PIN 2 of the 555 timer. In the book it states:

"The 555 timer receives positive power through the 2.2K resistor, which is 2.2K. Because the input resistance of the timer is very high, the voltage on pin2 is almost a full 9 volts. "

1. Can someone explain to me why the voltage is a full 9 volts because the pin resistance is so high? Wouldn't the 2.2K drop the voltage as well? Why does it seem to not have any effect?

Also, connected to PIN 2 is an open switch connected to a resistor (I don't have the value with me right now) then to ground. When the switch is pressed this creates a voltage divider.

2. I know on paper what a voltage divider is, but if the resistance on PIN 2 is very high will this not interfere with the voltage divider?

I've only seen voltage dividers not connected to anything and on paper.

Thanks for your time,

Cameron.

Offline odessa

• Regular Contributor
Re: Question about a 555 timer power pin setup
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 01:50:51 pm »
Pretty sure pin 2 goes to one of the non inverting inputs of the internal comparators, which has a very high impedance ( not the same as resistance). Google 555 internal circuit and you'll see what i mean.
When  I die I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandad ... Not all shouting and screaming like the passengers on his bus.

Offline dazz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 02:15:11 pm »
1. Can someone explain to me why the voltage is a full 9 volts because the pin resistance is so high? Wouldn't the 2.2K drop the voltage as well? Why does it seem to not have any effect?

Look at it this way: that's like having that 2K2 resistor in series with pin 2's input resistance, so the equivalent is a very high resistance. Very high resistance means very little current flow through the 2K2 resistor and into pin 2, and by Ohm's law, very little voltage drops across the 2K2 resistor.

Also, connected to PIN 2 is an open switch connected to a resistor (I don't have the value with me right now) then to ground. When the switch is pressed this creates a voltage divider.

2. I know on paper what a voltage divider is, but if the resistance on PIN 2 is very high will this not interfere with the voltage divider?

Precisely because pin 2's resistance is so high, it's almost like there's nothing connected to the voltage divider. Very little current flows into pin 2.

Check this out: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/28897/how-to-choose-value-of-resistor-in-voltage-divider

The following users thanked this post: uk.casmith

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 06:40:49 pm »
"The 555 timer receives positive power through the 2.2K resistor, which is 2.2K. Because the input resistance of the timer is very high, the voltage on pin2 is almost a full 9 volts. "

"High impedance" means very little current will flow into/out of Pin 2.  If you check the 555 datasheets it shows trigger current is only 0.5 microamps for the bipolar version, and a tiny 10 picoamps for the CMOS version.

Ohms law says V=IR (voltage = current * resistance). 

For the bipolar part V = 0.5E-6 * 2200 = 1.1E-3 or approximately 1 millivolt drop across the resistor.
For the CMOS part V = 10E-12 * 2200= 0.22E-9 or approximately 2 nanovolts drop across the resistor.

Since almost no current flows into or out of pin 2 then the operation of the divider is virtually unaffected.

The following users thanked this post: uk.casmith

Offline uk.casmithTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 07:19:55 pm »
Thank you that was an excellent answer and links!

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 08:18:13 pm »
Now do you understand what the switch and resistor to ground does?
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline 6PTsocket

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 06:45:14 pm »
Lets look at it this way. If 2.2K is in series with an input that is high resistance, you have a voltage divider. The 9 volts will
will be proportionally divided between the external and "internal resistor". If the "internal resistor" inside the 555 is much higher than the
2.2k resistor almost all of the voltage will be at the input pin.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf