Author Topic: Question on schematic snippit in Art of Electronics  (Read 641 times)

Offline Dan MoosTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Question on schematic snippit in Art of Electronics
« on: June 06, 2023, 12:05:37 am »
I'm looking at at figure 9.18 on page 610 of the third edition. Voltage regulator chapter.

What is the purpose/function of Rc and Cc. The 'c' in the part reference suggests to me that this is a compensation filter, but if so, how does it work? From my understanding of what an lm317 looks like internally,this wouldn't be a miller cap.

I also thought it might be a noise filter, which would make sense as it is a small signal controlling a large voltage, and noise error would be greatly amplified.

Thanks!

Offline barshatriplee

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Re: Question on schematic snippit in Art of Electronics
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 07:55:23 am »
Hi, I think you forgot to attach the picture.

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 09:10:07 am »
or thinks everyone has the pdf from the internet

Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

The following users thanked this post: Andy Watson

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 10:15:19 am »
I'm looking at at figure 9.18 on page 610 of the third edition. Voltage regulator chapter.

What is the purpose/function of Rc and Cc. The 'c' in the part reference suggests to me that this is a compensation filter, but if so, how does it work? From my understanding of what an lm317 looks like internally,this wouldn't be a miller cap.

I also thought it might be a noise filter, which would make sense as it is a small signal controlling a large voltage, and noise error would be greatly amplified.

Thanks!
It is for compensation of the control loop. Although the LM317 normally doesn't need external compensation this circuit adds extra loop gain, from the LM358, and extra phase shift through the DC-DC convertor so additional compensation is required to stabilise the overall feedback loop.

The capacitor Cc rolls off the gain to reduce the loop gain at higher frequencies to give the feedback loop sufficient gain margin. Unfortunately, it also adds an additional 90 deg of phase shift which degrades the phase margin and hence the loop stability. The addition of Rc compensates for this by adding a zero in the compensation ultimately reducing the extra phase shift introduced by Cc and enhancing the phase margin.

Offline Dan MoosTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 01:37:23 pm »
Perfect answer! Thank you!

The following users thanked this post: sab

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf