Author Topic: Reading datasheets (transistors, specifically)  (Read 3802 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline brendan-petrolTopic starter

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 46
  • Country: au
Reading datasheets (transistors, specifically)
« on: May 29, 2012, 10:10:37 am »
Hello,

I am trying to make a high gain - run a 1-2A load off a 74HC595 - multi-channel driver board with 5v logic and 12v supply for the load. I have a heap of 2N2222 transistors, and a few 2n3055s floating around from other projects - kits mainly, but I still have trouble reading datasheets.

Would someone be able to point me in the direction of a good resource to help me learn how to read the datasheets so I don't try to overload the transistors?

Thanks,
Brendan
 

Offline deephaven

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 796
  • Country: gb
  • Civilization is just one big bootstrap
    • Deephaven Ltd
Re: Reading datasheets (transistors, specifically)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 11:46:22 am »
This is quite a good document for explaining it all: http://webtools.delmarlearning.com/sample_chapters/04.pdf
 

Offline brendan-petrolTopic starter

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 46
  • Country: au
Re: Reading datasheets (transistors, specifically)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 12:26:58 pm »
Ahh, that's fantastic!

That PDF is going straight on my Kindle. Does anyone have any other tips for good books to use to learn electronics (I think mostly my tinkering has been luck... I don't know how much of it has actually worked due to real "skill"!
 

Offline T4P

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3697
  • Country: sg
    • T4P
Re: Reading datasheets (transistors, specifically)
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 12:38:49 pm »
It was a lot of blood(No kidding!) and sweat and smoke but i eventually knew how to properly "decode" a datasheet.
Yes it was effort paid off and another gate opened.
 

Offline TerminalJack505

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1310
  • Country: 00
Re: Reading datasheets (transistors, specifically)
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 01:57:23 pm »
An oldie but a goodie...

GE - Transistor Manual 1964
 

Offline brendan-petrolTopic starter

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 46
  • Country: au
Re: Reading datasheets (transistors, specifically)
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 01:22:28 am »
I wonder if there would ever be a blog post on decoding datasheets!
 

Offline brendan-petrolTopic starter

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 46
  • Country: au
Re: Reading datasheets (transistors, specifically)
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 04:30:28 am »
OK, Now that I've learnt a heap about reading datasheets (thanks for that you guys!) it's made me understand a whole lot of the detail about the 2n2222, enough to know that I will have to use the 2n2222 to drive a higher power transistor. Would the 2n3055 be suitable? I want to run PWM through them - 2A max.

I have read about Darlington transistors (that is what this would be, right?) and it says that they switch much slower. Is there a number associated to "much"? I also read that a base-emitter resistor on the second transistor can speed up the switching speed. Would a Darlington transistor made up of a 2n2222 and a 2n3055 with a base-emitter resistor on the 2n3055 be suitable to PWM through?

If so, how would I pick the base-emitter resistor?

I am going to feel like a complete idiot if that is in that first PDF linked to, I am about halfway through it.
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->