Author Topic: FNIRSI DWS-200 - Known Issues.  (Read 2548 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Zero_EgoTopic starter

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 64
  • Country: de
FNIRSI DWS-200 - Known Issues.
« on: June 15, 2025, 06:14:13 pm »
UPDATE_2:  Everything has already been covered in the following review.   

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/fnirsi-dws-200/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE_1:  If you own one of these or similar - please feel free to share your experience both good and bad.   I am trying to build this thread for all newbies like myself.      Below is the extent of what I have learned  about possible issues, most notably:

The tip is measuring 90VAC? 

No earth reference grounding?   

Static charge zapping components?

Note: This is all based on a youtube video recommended to me on this forum titled "The Ultimate Microsoldering Tool Guide" - the URL can be found following this post.   I also recommend reading the comments as it addresses these issues directly.   


Hi,

I am simple after some advice one how to minimise the static charge from destroying components when using the FNIRSI DWS-200.


I have seen the reports about earthing issue.   I am also aware of the high voltages measured @ the tip.

I know some people are grounding these themselves - however I will not be grounding.  ( Unless you guys highly advise I do so? ) 

I was planning to keep it floating - possibly doubled isolation transformer or similar     


There has also been some reports of SMPS squealing?   (Mice?)     Anyone know why it might do this?  (Weird)


Unfortunately due to financial limitations - one has to make do with such tools.   (Gotta start somewhere)

 
I am simple after some advice one how to minimise statically destroying components because as I understand it, THIS IS ONE OF the biggest problems.

(Yes safety first always,  I know one can still potentially cause a short if another piece of test gear is connected and is earth mains referenced and connected to the same board under test.   )   


Again this is where things are not so clear hence this post.


Can I use an Anti-Static Mat (that is grounded) and/or even wear a grounding wrist strap reduce the static on the tip?    (Or by wearing such a strap have I just connected myself to my own electric chair?)


Hangon.   The static is on the tip - not on me?  So how do I discharge the static on the tip or is it not possible?

   I'm not a static electricity expert.    I know during my study years - we were warned about carpet and static - I have NEVER seen a component die form normal body static.   (I'm sure it happens)     


This unit is just too good to pass up at this price.   There is NO WAY I can get anything close to these sized tips not to mention savings on power consumption as you are only heating when necessary.   


These toots are out there and it would be great help knowing all the issues and risks for all to read.   

Here is a video of a guy struggling to deal with the issue he starts off with. . . "for *uck sake!". . .  under his breath. 

I think he is frustrated.    (I don't blame him)   



There is a reason this unit is not grounded and I'm no engineer so I would only be guessing why.   

Are there any positives in having the iron floating or is it all bad news?    (Rechargable irons are floating?)

I'm hoping someone can throw more light on the hazards users should be aware of using such units?   

I know some of you are going to tell me to throw it in the bin.     (

I have included a pic of what I am upgrading from- I purchased it back in the stone age - no fancy temp settings.   It's not really about the iron but the time you hold it on the component.  Trust me I have built massive kits with one of these.  Like anything you get a feel for it.   

Like tightening a nut - you soon don't need the torque wrench - it's feel.   (You can tell by the look of the solder)   

Temperature controlled units sat in the labs at uni.      (Far out you must be an old dude - yep very old  :phew:) 


If you do hate these please give me your reasons.   


Thanks in advance.


ZE    (Images show  what I am upgrading from - I hope you agree this is an improvement)


My 40 year old Weller is still perfectly operational along with it's 50Watt big brother.    (When needed)   

« Last Edit: June 21, 2025, 03:21:17 am by Zero_Ego »
Das Ohmsche Gesetz ist kein Verbrechen.
 

Offline Zero_EgoTopic starter

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 64
  • Country: de
Re: The Static Tics of an FNIRSI DWS-200
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2025, 04:46:34 am »
For others researching.

The  above choice to purchase the DWS-200 over the Hakko is  based on advice someone posted in another thread of mine.   (Insert here -  when I find it)

In that thread someone posted a link to this youtube video [below] where he talks about both the Hakko and this unit.

Time stamped - (just before he puts the Hakko away) and talks about this DWS-200.   

https://youtu.be/zgAKy6vBiv4?si=i56Hzax0-hBHp0T6&t=119

I only found out about some of the issues after researching the DWS-200 myself much later.     

Here is the complete video.   

 










« Last Edit: June 16, 2025, 05:02:48 am by Zero_Ego »
Das Ohmsche Gesetz ist kein Verbrechen.
 

Offline MariuszD

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 686
  • Country: pl
Re: The Static Tics of an FNIRSI DWS-200.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2025, 07:01:20 am »

Voltage at the tip is not statics, it is the leakage current from the mains through the Y capacitor. Not harmful for humans, but it can destroy some components.

The Y capacitor is necessary. Connecting the tip to PE is simple solution but it has drawbacks.
Similar topic:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/y-capacitor-question-how-to-make-this-smps-safer/
 
The following users thanked this post: Zero_Ego

Offline Zero_EgoTopic starter

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 64
  • Country: de
Re: Static Tics of FNIRSI DWS-200 - Known Issues - The Definitive Guide
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2025, 08:17:41 am »
Thanks you MariuszD this is helpful and interesting. 


I am learning cool stuff   :popcorn:


Das Ohmsche Gesetz ist kein Verbrechen.
 

Offline Zero_EgoTopic starter

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 64
  • Country: de
Re: The Static Tics of an FNIRSI DWS-200.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2025, 11:13:05 am »

Voltage at the tip is not statics, it is the leakage current from the mains through the Y capacitor. Not harmful for humans, but it can destroy some components.

The Y capacitor is necessary. Connecting the tip to PE is simple solution but it has drawbacks.
Similar topic:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/y-capacitor-question-how-to-make-this-smps-safer/

How does this work please and what is the PE?

Does the Y capacitor continually charge up DCV over time or is it always passing AC?

What if I had something to short the tip out - similar if some one was to wear a wrist strap to discharge any static.   Something like a grounding point to discharge it or is it forever present along as it remains un-grounded?   

I'm very puzzle how the tip voltage is near mains when it's floating?    Is this because IT IS floating and this is one of the drawbacks?   

Can you possibly expand a little.   (Or a lot)     

It CAN be earthed but I would rather keep it floating.     I just need some way to discharge the tip or will there always be  an AC measured at the tip regardless.     It's just the nature of the design.

Could I (on occasion) via say a low value resistor connected to earth mains - short out the tip to discharge it?   

Or am I not understanding that at all.   

Any help very much appreciated.   

Update on my definitive guide.    (Man it's running hot)    :scared:    Slow down everyone.   

This soldering station must be perfect!   It is  hard to find legit reviews these days.    So frustrating. 
Reviewers get free stuff sent to them - but if they bag a product they know - NO MORE FREE gifts.   (Fact)


Here's something for my German friends.     I will  post any relevant comments addressing in the following German review in  English soon - along with any other pertinent information I find.   


BTW:   I don't particularly care about this cheap unit.    If it works, I'll be very happy.   

I'm defiantly going to ventrally get latest version Hakko.   Plenty of tips - massive transformer - a true work horse.     
 

End of Rant.   


XrControl Channel (Berlin)  did a review on the DWS-200. Suggest read all the comments  to help keep your gear safe.   Here is one such question. (translated)

@Buranion
Hi :)
Your video is now 5 months old.
I have a question...
Many people report that the tip is not grounded and has about 90 V on it.
Apparently, some have already experienced damage to PCBs because of this.

@xrcontrol

1 month ago
@Burarion Can you send me a link where damage to a circuit board is described?

End.

[ZE: I read that to mean he is rightfully sceptical as PCB damage has nothing to do with this really.  Too much heat yes.   Soldering Irons don't destroy PCB's unless there has been massive heat.  IMHO.

Full (German) review 

The video title reads: "Fnirsi DWS200 – 200W soldering station – Belongs on every workbench!"   




Ein guter Lötkolben ist wie eine Beziehung mit einer Kardashian – nur heißer und viel gefährlicher!


ZE  :phew:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2025, 01:12:53 pm by Zero_Ego »
Das Ohmsche Gesetz ist kein Verbrechen.
 

Offline Zero_EgoTopic starter

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 64
  • Country: de
Re: Static Tics of FNIRSI DWS-200 - Known Issues - The Definitive Guide
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2025, 09:04:53 pm »
Below is an excerpt taken from a Reddit threat.    [Only updated (2) days ago. ]

It's an interesting read.    Full source link at the end.

In that thread they mention a Polish (youtube) guy tests one of these and apparently. . .

". . .  but then he compares it to grounding on himself and he's saying that it's lower than that? "

As  a side note - youtube has an Auto Translate to from Polish to English.   (New to me) 
Click the CC  to engage auto Polish captions - then click on the gears - Subtittles Auto-translate choose your language)   

Hope this is helpful to someone.    (Other than me   :-DD )

Points to interest (for me)  from the reddit thread as follows.   

FlowTail  (Said)
•
9mo ago

There is a youtube video of a Polish guy testing it and at about 17 minutes he tests it for dc ac ground


timtucker_com
•
7mo ago

If I'm interpreting the auto-translated comments correctly, he's saying that the grounding is OK?

I see that he's getting a reading, but then he compares it to grounding on himself and he's saying that it's lower than that?


call_me_tomaski
•
2d ago

a "bit" late to answer but yes, that's what he was saying. He measured no DC voltage on the tip and then when measuring AC he said that the measurement must be on the edge of multimeter capabilities as the reading barely changes but for some reason when he is measuring himself, he gets 3V

Source:
https://www.reddit.com/r/soldering/comments/1fjrdtc/fnirsi_dws200_f245/


I will have a look at the manual next.     (This is the Definitive Guide)    Gotta have a manual right?  :=\
« Last Edit: June 17, 2025, 10:00:59 pm by Zero_Ego »
Das Ohmsche Gesetz ist kein Verbrechen.
 

Offline thm_w

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9811
  • Country: ca
  • Non-expert
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures
 
The following users thanked this post: Zero_Ego

Offline Zero_EgoTopic starter

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 64
  • Country: de
Re: Static Tics of FNIRSI DWS-200 - Known Issues - The Definitive Guide
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2025, 12:32:53 am »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/fnirsi-dws-200/

IMO avoid anything fnirsi makes.

Okay.  Thanks for the URL.   

Cheers
ZE
Das Ohmsche Gesetz ist kein Verbrechen.
 

Offline Zero_EgoTopic starter

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 64
  • Country: de
Re: Static Tics of FNIRSI DWS-200 - Known Issues - The Definitive Guide
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2025, 11:28:09 pm »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/fnirsi-dws-200/

IMO avoid anything fnirsi makes.

Clearly the definitive guide has already been written.   (I'm referring to the above thread)   Thanks for not roasting me - I should of searched first.     

Anyone reading this thread I urge you to read the REAL definative guide.  (again above URL)

This one is  DOA.

I came in knowing absolutely zero about these 'new' irons and as Dave predicted I did get bashed over the head by various fanboys.   ( But In good way   |O )       Nothing but helpful.   

I came and learned much.    :phew:

Here's the bottom line for me after weighing up all the pros and cons.

Purchase a genuine Hakko and slowly build a good collection of tips over time.   (Purchase the cheep ones off Amazon and blow through those first)

  As that thread above points out - how can you trust an iron that may or may not zap your components?    That's pure insanity as it defeats the soldering irons purpose.     

If you do own one follow the advice of the pros in the above thread for any necessary (or unnecessary) modifications.   

I will be using mine with caution.



« Last Edit: June 21, 2025, 12:48:45 am by Zero_Ego »
Das Ohmsche Gesetz ist kein Verbrechen.
 

Offline geonicz

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 19
  • Country: lt
Re: FNIRSI DWS-200 - Known Issues.
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2025, 03:45:43 pm »
As a person which had 4 devices from fnirsi, 3 of them dead or faulty right from their store or within a week(scope which showed 3.7v on 5 DC - 1013 maybe model; sag-55 hot air gun with random temperature right from the shop; dead power supply after plugging typeC cable in it dps150)  , I'd avoid this company totally.
The only thing they make is shiny looking garbage.
 
The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline RogerFx

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 3
  • Country: es
Re: FNIRSI DWS-200 - Known Issues.
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2026, 03:31:56 pm »
Hello everyone,

I have something new to add in case some is interested in reading it and it is a concern about the quality control of this product.

After seeing three very positive reviews of the FNIRSI DWS-200 soldering station, I became so enthusiastic that I decided to purchase one myself.

Don’t get me wrong—the unit itself works beautifully. It heats up very quickly, has excellent features, and, so far, performs exactly as I expected. However, I became quite concerned about the assembly quality, or at least the quality-control process.

Let me explain why.

When I opened the box of my brand-new DWS-200, I suddenly heard a small rattling noise. When I gently shook the main unit (the control and power-supply section), I could clearly hear something loose moving around inside.

At that point, I decided not to turn it on, and I am very glad I made that decision.

Although I knew that opening the unit could potentially void my warranty, I decided that safety was more important and opened it to find out what was causing the noise.

To my surprise, I found loose drops of solder inside the unit. There were three in total: two were loose and moving around freely, while the third was stuck to the plastic cover close to the AC input connector.

I removed all three pieces of solder.

Had I switched the unit on without checking, those loose solder pieces could potentially have caused a short circuit and possibly damaged the equipment—or worse.

After removing the solder, I reassembled the unit and switched it on. Fortunately, everything is working perfectly so far, and I hope it continues to do so.

However, the experience has left me wondering about the quality-control process. I am not sure where the problem occurred. It could have happened during FNIRSI's assembly or quality inspection, or possibly later in the distribution process. The unit was purchased through Amazon from one of the sellers, Omykou or Jadeshay, so I cannot say where the issue originated.

I am sharing this because, despite being very happy with the DWS-200 itself, I think it is worth checking the unit carefully before switching it on if you hear anything rattling inside.

Hopefully, this was just an isolated case and everything will be fine with my unit in the long term.
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->