Author Topic: SMD reflow temperatures?  (Read 3191 times)

Offline peps1Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • if you can't open it, you don't own it!
SMD reflow temperatures?
« on: June 06, 2013, 12:19:37 am »
Hey guys, just got one of the cheap YIHUA reflow workstations, and was wondering what temps I should be work with on SMD?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: SMD reflow temperatures?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 01:32:20 am »
Try 280 for starters. I wouldn't usually don't need to go over 300, but it is highly variable and depends on the thermal mass of the component and pads etc, lead or lead free solder, nozzle size, your technique etc etc

Offline peps1Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • if you can't open it, you don't own it!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 01:41:46 am »
Thanks mate,

Was testing it on some scrap PCB full of 1206 package caps at 300 Celsius (default heat) and it was just flowing in seconds, so guess dialing it back to 280 or less makes sense, if I don't want to damage anything! (It's a really fun bit of kit!) 

Now I have Just enough knowledge to be dangerous!  :-/O

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 09:09:00 pm »
Make sure your components can handle it.  I had some 3.5mm stereo jacks, along with some resistors and caps that needed to be reflow soldered.  I was watching it through the window as it was heating up.  Before all the solder even began to melt and flow, the stereo jacks started melting.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 12:52:17 pm »
Sorry if you know this already but since this is the beginner's forum I'll mention that unlike the heat of a soldering iron, the air from the gun does travel some distance so you'd best mind where it's pointing if you don't want to accidentally melt/burn things.

Offline millerb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 01:06:09 pm »
Sorry if you know this already but since this is the beginner's forum I'll mention that unlike the heat of a soldering iron, the air from the gun does travel some distance so you'd best mind where it's pointing if you don't want to accidentally melt/burn things.

Good advise. I bought an 18"x18" ceramic tile from the hardware store for 4 dollars, and I set that on my desk when I'm using the hot air tool so I don't burn anything. I keep a fire extinguisher near by just in case. I have the SMD station plugged into one of those "energy saving" power strips, where it only provides power to the outlets when one specified outlet is drawing current. On that specified outlet I have a desk lamp. This way the SMD station can only be powered up if the desk lamp is on. Can't be too careful in the electronics dungeon.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf