Author Topic: Stable and reasonably accurate 5V from USB source (i.e. improved USB out)  (Read 293 times)

Offline bolgeraTopic starter

Hello,

For my project I want to built not so expensive (~30 eur) relatively stable 5V DC signal that would take 5V from USB power (PC or wall plug). I want to solder elements on the board myself and will source parts individually online. Power requirements are approximately 5 watt.
The way I understood the logic of the scheme. First, I should rise the voltage to some higher level (with something like TL431 but ranked for higher amp), let's say to 10V and then regulate it down with LDO to 5V?
Could some-one advise/share an electric scheme and maybe suitable components as well? If i want to do add some noise filtering what is the best way to do it?

Apologies if my question is repeating. I tried searching but have not found, so feel free to redirect me.
Andrey

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Boost converter to increase the voltage to say 7V, then a precision regulator to provide the 5V you need will probably be best.

Offline bolgeraTopic starter

So something like this from aliexpress DD03AJTA plus LM340 should be sufficient?

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
I did it the other way around. Dropped the 5v USB power to 4V using an LDO linear regulator, then used a 2MHz boost converter to get voltage back to 5V. The linear regulator cleaned up low frequency noise coming from USB, and provided clean supply voltage to the boost converter. And it was easy to filter out 2MHz switching noise after the boost converter.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Alex Nikitin

• Super Contributor
  • Femtoampnut and Tapehead.
    • A.N.T. Audio
Something like this DC-DC converter might be just what you need.

Cheers

Alex

Offline BennoG

• Regular Contributor
That is 5V 1A and add the losses so you pull about 1.2A from the USB port.
USB2 is rated 0.5A
USB3 is rated 0.9A
I know if you are lucky you can pull more than that from a standard USB port but if you want something to work on every device than that are the limits.
USB3 PD is an option then you can negotiate 12V and buck it down to a stable 5V 1A  (your buck converter should at least be capable of 1.5A to deliver reliable 1A)

Benno

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf