Author Topic: TEK 2232 analog scope questions  (Read 2239 times)

Offline cobblerTopic starter

• Supporter
TEK 2232 analog scope questions
« on: December 11, 2015, 08:44:16 pm »
Hello players, I have a very simple circuit where a line goes high to 5V for three seconds and then low to 0V for three seconds.

I am trying to learn to use my TEK 2232 scope which has the Measurements feature while in STORE mode (digital storage). Having a problem getting the voltage measurement to read accurate on the scope.

I attached the two methods the Operators Manual describes to read voltage.... in "normal mode" (the distance between Cursor1 and Cursor2), and "Referenced to Ground".

I followed both procedures in the manual and no matter what settings I use, the cursors never display any voltage greater than 0.6V ! :-BROKE

In the attached screenshot you will see the Fluke DMM is displaying correctly 5.0V but the Tek is displaying only 0.6V

Can any old players help a young player out of this trap?

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 08:48:01 pm by cobbler »

Offline gmarentette

Re: TEK 2232 analog scope questions
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 09:50:58 pm »
It says to put one cursor on a low point and the other on a high point. Are you doing that?

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 10:26:12 pm »

Quote from: gmarentette on Today at 03:50:58 AM
It says to put one cursor on a low point and the other on a high point. Are you doing that?

Yes you can see here in this pic I am using the "between cursors" delta method, it still reads incorrectly 0.500V

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 10:29:58 pm »
You are using a 10x probe that does NOT have the sensing pin that tells the scope that it is a 10x probe.  So, the scope doesn't know that the voltage scale needs to be multiplied by 10x, hence your voltage is off by a factor of 10.

http://www.jmargolin.com/projects/TekReadout_files/image003.jpg

You can also tell that this is the case because you've got a 5V step, but the scope is showing 1 division of deflection and it shows that it is on a 0.5V/div scale.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 10:37:35 pm by w2aew »
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 11:10:58 pm »
Ok thanks w2aew, now changed it to 1X on my generic probe and it is reading correctly.  BTW thanks for your great videos, today I finally figured out how to view "two waveforms" using the A/B delayed sweep from watching your video on that... the buttons/dials were completely different than your scope but finally figured it out!  That has been puzzling me for weeks.

Off to ebay to find some used tek probes!

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 11:16:07 pm by cobbler »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf