Author Topic: INA 219 current sensing maximum wattage  (Read 890 times)

Offline lots o totsTopic starter

• Contributor
INA 219 current sensing maximum wattage
« on: April 27, 2018, 03:08:14 am »
I have an INA 219 and want to calculate the current, but i dont know if it is too high for the INA219. https://www.adafruit.com/product/904
According to the specs it can monitor at up 26V and up to 3.2A.  the current sense resistor is 2W.

The voltage in the circuit will be 19.5V.  i wanted to be able to run current through this at up to 3A.  exact current value is unknown at the moment.  The load will probably be 50% to 75% duty cycle.

Does the current sense resistor at 2W mean that if i run at 19.5V, i cant sense more than 0.1A without burning the sense resistor? (0.1A x 19.5V = 1.95W).

if i cant monitor anything past 1.95W, i will have to use a low value load only through the resistor like a small LED and just add a correction factor to the real load.  i dont really want to do that if it can be avoided.  Is there something that i can wire into the circuit that has a precise load that will provide a constant voltage, constant current that the INA219 can safely sense.  Also(there will actually be 2 seperate circuits and i want the loads in those 2 circuits to be as close as possible to each other.)
thanks
-LOT

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
Re: INA 219 current sensing maximum wattage
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 07:14:25 am »
To work out the maximum through the resistor you need to know it's value.  It will drop a certain voltage (used to sense the current) for a given current.  Multiple that voltage by the current to get the power dissipated by the resistor.

So if it's a 0.1Ohm resistor at 3.2A it will drop 320mV.  That is 3.2*320mV ~= 1W.  You might note you can just do  Current2 Amps * Resistance Ohms = Power Watts dissipated

Ohms law.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

The following users thanked this post: lots o tots

Offline lots o totsTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: INA 219 current sensing maximum wattage
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 01:08:30 pm »
I see, so we muliply the current by the voltage drop and not the voltage for the voltage in the circuit, as the rating is for the heat it can dissipate.
interesting
Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf