Author Topic: Wake up receiver  (Read 2238 times)

Offline SrbinovskiTopic starter

Wake up receiver
« on: August 17, 2013, 04:50:08 pm »
Hello all,
It will be very much appreciated if you can give me an answer to my question below.
I want to build a wake up receiver as presented in the picture attached. I want to build this receiver for 433MHz. As it can be seen in the attachment It is based on an envelope detector, used for an OOK demodulation. A voltage multiplier (VM) is used as an OOK signal envelope detector. This demodulated signal is fed to the data slicer, which raises the demodulated digital signal to voltage levels that can be used in later digital circuitry. The comparator threshold is adaptive, rather than constant and is determined by the wake-up signal strength.
I want to optimize this circuit so I found an equation for the optimum number of stages of a VM: Nopt=3/4 *( Vout/Epk) +1/8. To be able to calculate this I have to know the peak voltage of my signal.
Let's assume that a wake up signal arrives at -50dBm which is very close to the min sensitivity of the selected diode HSMS-285C (-57dBm@916MHz). I assume that it will be similar for 433MHz.  If we assume that we have ideal matching for the 50ohm antenna, will this mean that the voltage that my VM will see will be equal to Epk=1mV (-50dBm -> Epk=1mV)  or there will be a drop because of the load? The load obviously is the voltage multiplier circuit plus my comparator (which has fairly low bias current 2nA) and the R&C combination on the - input of the comparator used for "adaptive thresholding".
Maybe I am wrong but, I think if there is ideal matching circuit the energy transferred from the antenna to the VM will be equal  and the VM will see a Epk = 1mV.
Many thanks in advance for your replies and all the best,
Srbinovski Bruno.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf