Author Topic: Why my dc-dc buck converter is consuming 8mA of current with no load connected?  (Read 583 times)

Offline nishantnidariaTopic starter

• Contributor
I am using a TPS5430 buck converter on my PCB which is converting 12V to 8V, if i shutdown the buck converter using enable pin, it consumes only a few micro amps but if i let it enabled with no load connected, it consumes about 8mA constantly.

Datasheet: https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps5430.pdf?ts=1664439034845&ref_url=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.com%252F

According to the datasheet quiescent current should be 4.4mA (max).

My questions are:

Is it normal?
Is it consumption or power loss?
How can i avoid/fix it?

Thank you in advance for your help and guidance.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 10:25:19 am by nishantnidaria »

Offline temperance

• Frequent Contributor
The data sheet states:

VSENSE = 2 V, Not switching,
PH pin open

Your device is switching.
Some species start the day by screaming their lungs out. Something which doesn't make sense at first. But as you get older it all starts to make sense.

• Contributor
Thank you for your reply, when we say "Not Switching", does it means the IC is active but there is no load connected?

Offline hubi

• Regular Contributor
The 4.4mA is specified when the device is not switching. You measured 8mA while switching.

• Contributor
I am confused, what is the difference between "Switching" and "Not switching" ? understanding the difference will help me a lot i think.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
"Switching" means the internal MOSFET is switching on and of at the set frequency (500kHz). "Not switching" means the MOSFET is gated.

The "VSENS=2V" requirement means this 4.4mA figure is not achievable in reality. If you need a smaller no-load current, choose a different part.

Why? Because this condition is artificial. The regulator will switch off the MOSFET when the feedback pin is at a voltage higher than the internal reference voltage of 1.221V. But in normal operation, the feedback voltage will always be equal to the reference voltage. This is how the regulation works.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf