Author Topic: Will the attached 100Hz flickering light output cause a problem for CCTV?  (Read 1857 times)

Offline ocsetTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Hello,
Supposing there is a LED streetlight which flickers as in the attached. (that’s actually the light output, not a voltage). As you can see, the light output actually goes to zero every 10ms.

Will this cause a problem for CCTV  cameras at night ?
Will this cause a problem for Number plate recognition cameras at night?
Will this cause a problem for police dash-cams at night?
Supposing if the exposure time is 1ms, and it takes 1 picture per second, then surely in theory the images could all be black?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 06:49:26 pm by treez »

Offline Karlo_Moharic

• Regular Contributor
Your best bet is to just grab a CCTV camera (type & model you are planning to use) and try it in real life conditions. This is because different cameras use different sensors so the only way you can be certain in anything is to just try it out.

The following users thanked this post: ocset

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
You've already asked...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/100hz-flicker-in-lighting-is-a-problem/msg1775726/?topicseen#msg1775726

P.S. That .jpg you've attached is just full wave rectified AC waveform, not the light output waveform of an LED Streetlight.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 07:46:09 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
Treez, why are you still trying to find a justification that your crappy 100Hz flickering LED is somehow an acceptable design? All that after two pages of discussion in that other thread where it was clearly explained to you that cameras are likely the least of your problems there!

Put a bloody capacitor at the output of that rectifier and be done with it. This is beyond ridiculous. What will you do when your employer gets sued because someone got distracted by that high powered stroboscope of yours and crashed their car?

BTW normal CCTV camera will likely not capture the individual flicker (they run much slower than 100Hz) but the automatic gain control will likely be mightily confused by that flicker, with some frames being overexposed and some underexposed.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, ocset

Online eliocor

• Supporter
    • rhodiatoce
DEAR treez PLEASE DO NOT GIVE ME A 'THANK': I found offensive to your person your way of thanking everyone!!!
Will this cause a problem for Number plate recognition cameras at night?

to my knowledge (at least in Italy*) every plate recognition camera (also Police ones) during night works:
- using pulsed infrared light (at various levels to be sure to not be fooled)
- using the retoreflector treatment on the plate to get an high image contrast
The same can be said for almost any CCTV camera: under a certain level of light they disable the IR cutoff filter and turn to IR vision.
So your question(s) [at least for those case(s)] are useless because visible light will not affect camera vision.

*) I think also in the rest of Europe, being car plates almost "unified": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_the_European_Union
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:44:35 pm by eliocor »

Offline CM800

• Frequent Contributor
DEAR treez PLEASE DO NOT GIVE ME A 'THANK': I found offensive to your person your way of thanking everyone!!!

I'm so confused. What's wrong with him thanking people for their response...

How is it... offensive?

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
The same can be said for almost any CCTV camera: under a certain level of light they disable the IR cutoff filter and turn to IR vision.
So your question(s) [at least for those case(s)] are useless because visible light will not affect camera vision.

Um, careful!

Most cameras cannot "disable" the IR filter - that is a physical piece of glass in front of the sensor and most cameras don't have any mechanical means to move it out of the way. In fact, many cheap cameras/lenses have the IR filter even glued on. The "IR vision" with CCTV typically only means increased gain (and noise) and turning on an IR illuminator (a ring or panel of IR LEDs). 

Visible light will very much affect such camera - they don't filter visible light at all, so if you shine a bright light there, it will saturate the sensor, rendering the image useless until the automatic gain control kicks in again (never seen an image of a security camera recording an approaching car with the lights on?). The sensor doesn't have any special "IR" mode - normal CCD and CMOS sensors are simply sensitive in the near infrared as well so they can see the reflected IR light from the illuminator. That's also why the IR filter is there in the first place, otherwise you would get a reddish cast over the image due to the saturation with IR during the day.

Online eliocor

• Supporter
    • rhodiatoce
It was an oversimplification...
Even because it is clear (see your previous answer) that treez does not care at all to read what other people write/suggest/explain! He thanks only!

@CM800: So I can write the crappiest answer and I'm sure I will get a 'thank' without any hitch

The following users thanked this post: CM800, ocset

Offline CM800

• Frequent Contributor
@CM800: So I can write the crappiest answer and I'm sure I will get a 'thank' without any hitch

Yes  :-DD :D

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor

Most cameras cannot "disable" the IR filter - that is a physical piece of glass in front of the sensor and most cameras don't have any mechanical means to move it out of the way. In fact, many cheap cameras/lenses have the IR filter even glued on. The "IR vision" with CCTV typically only means increased gain (and noise) and turning on an IR illuminator (a ring or panel of IR LEDs).

Even the cheap shit generic Chineseium cameras (Hikvision I'm looking at you) have motorised IR filters and have had for years, so I'd suggest (based on years of experience of actually testing them) that "most cameras have a switchable IR filter".

The following users thanked this post: tooki, ocset

• Super Contributor
Thanks, from these posts it seems that  severe 100hz flickering light, which goes to zero every 10 milliseconds, is certainly not a "definite" for ruining CCTV images.
The Automatic Gain control will take care of it...it seems.
I wonder what the shortest exposure time is for a general CCTV camera?
If its >10ms, then there really is no problem at all.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
Shortest usable shutter speed is about 1/60th of a second. Longer than that and things start to smear on a budget camera. Quality cameras don't go down that low unless there is no artificial light present.

I have cameras here that will still use 1/1000 at night under streetlight conditions and struggle with strobing on HPS, so an unfiltered led will strobe to shit. Having said that, if the security consultant is any good they'll characterise the light source for both consistency and spectrum to ensure it will work with the specified cameras.

Frankly I hate LEDs in cheap shit light sources, but you can spend money on better lights or spend money on better cameras, more often than not a $4K camera and lens is much cheaper than upgrading the lighting.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor

Even the cheap shit generic Chineseium cameras (Hikvision I'm looking at you) have motorised IR filters and have had for years, so I'd suggest (based on years of experience of actually testing them) that "most cameras have a switchable IR filter".

OK, taking back the "most". I am more familiar with industrial and machine vision cameras than specifically surveillance products and there this kind of functionality is not at all common.

• Super Contributor
Shortest usable shutter speed is about 1/60th of a second.
Thanks, thats 16ms approx exposure time.
Do you know what proportion of CCTV camers in use at night (in say city centres) go below 10ms exposure time?
And how many go below 5ms exposure time?

Online eliocor

• Supporter
    • rhodiatoce
0.0237015%
0.0033377%

@CM800: QED !!!  ;)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 08:02:35 pm by eliocor »

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
Shortest usable shutter speed is about 1/60th of a second.
Thanks, thats 16ms approx exposure time.
Do you know what proportion of CCTV camers in use at night (in say city centres) go below 10ms exposure time?
And how many go below 5ms exposure time?

Lots. Most cameras will wind the exposure time down as far as 1/10000 to control exposure. Cheaper cameras with smaller imagers are pretty insensitive and want lots of light though,so will struggle to go below 1/60 at night. Plenty will though.

Frankly I think you're approaching the problem from the wrong end, but that seems to characterise most of your posted topics on this board.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf