Author Topic: WorkBook w/Solutions Resistive Networks???  (Read 704 times)

Offline watchmakerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
    • Precision Timepiece Restoration and Service
WorkBook w/Solutions Resistive Networks???
« on: December 08, 2023, 11:22:19 pm »
Is there a workbook of basic circuit analysis problems with solutions?  I have completed a number of lectures up to Thevenin/Norton and Superposition and would like to strengthen my confidence.

I searched w/Google to no avail.  Practice exams w/no solutions are no help.  My basic failing is that I get correct solutions but I frequently miss the obvious easy solution.  This is an experience issue.

I do check my answers against a breadboard setup, but it would go faster if I could compare my solution against solutions in the back of the book.

Thanks.

Regards,

Dewey
Regards,

Dewey

Offline liaifat85

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Re: WorkBook w/Solutions Resistive Networks???
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 12:08:14 pm »
You can check the solution manual for the book Electronic Devices and Circuit Theory by Boylestad/Nashelsky.

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 03:02:11 pm »
As in the example you posted earlier, Many textbook examples are purposely drawn in a confusing way forcing you to examine the layout and see if through intuition you can reduce the circuit to simple terms then solve the problem. Intuition is hard to teach and comes more from experience. In the real world you won't run into easy circuits purposely draw in a difficult to understand way. Thevinin and Norton you won't experience unless you are into some high level design stuff or power grids and power grid current flow from multiple suppliers can be ugly due to leading / lagging phases and power factor. In theory a customer with a poor enough power factor could melt 14 gauge copper wires and yet only be showing a 100 watt load. Sadly, I can't think of any textbook on resistive circuits that will help teach intuition. I taught it with a blackboard (which was really green) and chalk. I would draw a stupid circuit and then help my junior co-workers work through it. Eventually they gained confidence and scary looking circuits no longer scared them. Think about some visual examples where you inherently already know the math and the answer pops into your head without hardly any thought. Example two 10 ohm resistors and a 5 ohm resistor all in parallel. I take one glance, the two 10's in parallel = 5 ohms which is in parallel with another 5 ohm so the answer is 2.5 ohms. This is how I taught parallel circuits. A student can understand how to solve the circuit without me using oddball combinations. As always they must understand R1 X R2 divided by R1 + R2. Another one is a 10 ohm resistor paralleled with a 5 ohm resistor. When ever I see that 2:1 ratio I know the answer is .666 X the lower resistor value. Intuitive? Best wishes, Cheers mate!!
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 07:29:37 pm »
You can check the solution manual for the book Electronic Devices and Circuit Theory by Boylestad/Nashelsky.

I had his book on electronic devices, but now I found his books (Intro to Ckt Analy and the Lab Manual, latest editions)).  Purchased.

I am going to search for a set of solutions.

THANKS!

Dewey
Regards,

Dewey

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2023, 10:01:48 pm »
I bought the Boylestad books (Texts and Labs).  I bought both the Ckt Analysis and the Devices books.

Thank you for recommending them, they are precisely what I was looking for.  Not only step by step, but lots of practice at reducing "actual" circuits, not just simplified circuits to be solved.  This is giving me the experience I sought.

These are not cheap books, but can be found used.

His comparison of series resistance parameter functions to parallel resistance functions (he calls it duality) simplifies what I have to keep in my head. 

I definitely recommend these well before Art of Electronics for someone who wants to understand the foundations of electronics before putting together a set of devices.  And forget NEETS!  (But Dave's EEVblog videos and the Real Analog lectures are useful).

Thanks again!

Dewey
Regards,

Dewey

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf