Author Topic: [US] Keysight DSOX2014A w/warranty  (Read 2571 times)

Offline bitbangerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
[US] Keysight DSOX2014A w/warranty
« on: August 14, 2019, 01:21:18 am »
Purchased new from an authorized Keysight distributor. Carries original 5 year factory warranty, good until 5/23/2021.

Unit was well cared for and has absolutely zero issues. I'm only selling because I came across a deal I couldn't pass up. Otherwise amazing scope. The only "issue" is some scratches around the channel BNC's where the 10x probe pin scratched. No big deal.

Latest Keysight firmware.

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/1prfB3E

$1250 shipped within the US. $1200 outside PayPal (venmo, etc, saves me on fees). If sold for asking price I'll include 4 ProbeMaster scope probes, otherwise not included. Price reflects good condition, warranty, going price, cost to ship+insure, etc. This is far below the price you'll see on eBay, Keysight refurb,....

I've been a member here for a while, with 100% eBay feedback (PM for details). SN obscured for my privacy - PM and I'll be happy to provide (so you can verify warranty/cal on Keysight's site)

Any questions feel free to ask!

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 04:02:52 am by bitbanger »

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Re: [US] Keysight DSOX2014A, 4Ch, 200MHz + options w/warranty
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 06:09:37 am »
You likely shouldn't be advertising it has "options" if you used a hack to enable them. If it has a licensed option bundle then by all means list it as such.
VE7FM

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 11:13:20 am »
I think I made it clear enough how those specs came to be, but I concede that you're right it's best not to confuse them for factory options
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 11:14:57 am by bitbanger »

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 12:42:36 pm »
You likely shouldn't be advertising it has "options" if you used a hack to enable them. If it has a licensed option bundle then by all means list it as such.
I don't understand this comment. Hacking has become very accepted here and the OP was very clear how the options were enabled. If I were the seller I might have handled it differently, but that's just a personal call. Has the OP done something wrong?

• Regular Contributor
Re: [US] Keysight DSOX2014A w/warranty
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 02:05:57 pm »
To be clear the post and subject have been edited since (however I did state BW + options were "liberated").  I did have "+options" in the subject which may have been mistaken as factory options. Most (including I) would value a factory bundle over a hack, so I suspect this was the point of contention.

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 02:33:38 pm »
OK, I was commenting on something that had changed without being able to see the original post so TheSteve may have had a valid point. He is well respected here.

Offline Ismsanmar

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 02:44:52 pm »
I don't understand this comment. Hacking has become very accepted here and the OP was very clear how the options were enabled. If I were the seller I might have handled it differently, but that's just a personal call. Has the OP done something wrong?
He is announcing it with guarantee. Imagine that the oscilloscope has to be sent to the factory for any catastrophic problem and they change the oscilloscope for a new one. The buyer would lose all those options unless he hacks it again.
I also don't know how it works in Keysight, but I may have lost the warranty for it if they start inquiring.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 03:08:41 pm »
He is announcing it with guarantee. Imagine that the oscilloscope has to be sent to the factory for any catastrophic problem and they change the oscilloscope for a new one. The buyer would lose all those options unless he hacks it again.
I also don't know how it works in Keysight, but I may have lost the warranty for it if they start inquiring.

I respectfully have to disagree. There has been no obfuscation, intentional or otherwise on my part - not advertising it as a 2024, not advertising it as legit options, not demanding any premium for those options. This does not negate the fact that the hardware carries a warranty.

Sorry but I don't believe it's my sole responsibility to explain all of the 'caveats' that come with purchasing such a thing; the buyer carries some of that.

But let's keep this moot discussion up, it's good visibility.

::edit:: typo
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 03:10:30 pm by bitbanger »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 04:40:21 pm »
I don't want to cause this forum, which I consider "home" to be subject of more corporate scrutiny, so I'm deciding to restore the firmware back to stock status for sale. 100MHz, no options. I'll update the original post to reflect this.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 06:42:02 pm »
I feel the original post was clear enough. I don't know why this discussion pops up so often. We all know it's the exact same hardware with the same capabilities but different labels stuck on. Maybe people feel they need to protect their official upgrade investments?

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 08:24:45 pm »
Specifically in this case I think some people wanted to make sure it was 100% clear so that if it did go in for warranty you'd know to take precautions before it was sent in if he reverts the changes now it's a total non issue. I was fine with the original ad anyway, seemed reasonable to me, but it's never bad to clarify.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2019, 10:30:57 pm »
Bump - added pictures. Would love to see this go to an EEVblog member!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 10:37:32 pm »
I'm surprised this hasn't been snapped up yet!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 12:04:27 am »
There are alternatives in the market today for around $999, new
Maybe when feature and firmware maturity improves but even then it's not really the same segment.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 12:09:43 am »
Not to be negative but for a thousand dollar, not insignificant I know, you can get a brand new one with full 5 year warranty and probes. So it's not a great deal, just a good deal.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 12:14:04 am »
Not to be negative but for a thousand dollar, not insignificant I know, you can get a brand new one with full 5 year warranty and probes. So it's not a great deal, just a good deal.
Where do you buy a 2000X series for $1000 new?

It just occurred to me you probably meant a thousand dollars extra with the extra part being omitted from your post. Looks like that's the ex VAT price so depending on local taxes consumers might pay about half of what a new unit would cost.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 12:27:59 am by Mr. Scram »

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2019, 12:37:32 am »
Yea, an extra 1000$, sorry. Also yes, I didn't include taxes so it's possible it's about half price. About 1/3 the warranty and no probes. Maybe more pictures would help because it's still a good deal.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2019, 07:15:17 am »
I think they are in the same segment of the 2000X.  I agree the 3000X or 3000T is another level, but the 2000X is not worth $1,500 these days.  I am a Keysight/Agilent/HP fan, but have you tried the Rigol MSO5074?
Uni-T makes half decent multimeters but there's a reason people prefer Fluke. Big numbers on the tin obviously aren't the whole story and polish, livability and support do count. The closest competitor in its class is the Rohde & Schwarz RTB2004 which starts at a slightly lower price than the 2000X series but appears to have a steeper upgrade path. Those are also very nice oscilloscopes. The main attraction of the 2000X is that it is for a lot of intents and purposes the same oscilloscope as the 3000X. Exceptions are obviously the option of increased bandwidth and the rare application the 3000T has which the 2000X doesn't, but in day to day use it's often effectively the same oscilloscope. Dave recently remarked they're still the nicest oscilloscopes to live with in no small part due to their ASIC. Of course the 3000T you're comparing others to is 4 to 5 times price asked for this 2000X for a similar bandwidth and many times more when you get into the higher bandwidths.

I'm all for an open and honest forum but I'm not sure how courteous it is to actively attempt to sway people away from goods on sale. I'm sure people interested in budget options are able to find the relevant threads.

The following users thanked this post: bitbanger, s8548a, maginnovision

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2019, 11:01:01 am »

I think they are in the same segment of the 2000X.  I agree the 3000X or 3000T is another level, but the 2000X is not worth $1,500 these days.  I am a Keysight/Agilent/HP fan, but have you tried the Rigol MSO5074?

I've largely kept quiet because traffic is traffic but seriously man, take your opinion and this discussion elsewhere. How would you feel if someone showed up at your garage sale and stood for the entire time debating the price relevancy of something you were selling? If you think you're "saving" the buyer by helping inform them, there are plenty of people who would gladly pay this price (and more) for these scopes.

I bet you're a riot in the vintage test gear threads.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2019, 11:57:39 am »

I've largely kept quiet because traffic is traffic but seriously man, take your opinion and this discussion elsewhere. How would you feel if someone showed up at your garage sale and stood for the entire time debating the price relevancy of something you were selling? If you think you're "saving" the buyer by helping inform them, there are plenty of people who would gladly pay this price (and more) for these scopes.

I bet you're a riot in the vintage test gear threads.
My mistake, sorry.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2019, 12:09:31 am »
Bump - make me an offer. Best price you'll see here or eBay (plus you're buying from a trusty EEVBlog member :) )

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2019, 12:57:23 pm »
Price drop

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf