Author Topic: Audio Hub, do these exist?  (Read 7563 times)

Offline RPuccettiTopic starter

Audio Hub, do these exist?
« on: February 01, 2012, 10:38:31 pm »
So I am looking for a device that will direct my computers audio where I want it.  I have speakers, headphones, and a cable from my lab in the other room for speakers there.  Is there such a device in existence?  I can't find the right wording to search for it i guess.

Roman

Offline siliconmix

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Audio Hub, do these exist?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 10:46:09 pm »
i'm not sure if i understand fully.are you asking about wireless speakers or headphones ?

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 11:08:38 pm »
Hmm no not wireless speakers.  I want to take the audio output my computer and put into a box, then connect my 3 or 4 speaker systems to that box.  With the box I can control which set of speakers gets the signal.  Is that making any sense?

----> Computer Speakers
[Computer] ---- audio out ----> [Box] ----> Headphones
                                                          ----> Speakers from the other room

So I have the speakers, I just need the "box".

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 11:58:25 pm »
Premade audio switches are quite common
etc.
http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=AC1655&keywords=audio+switch&form=KEYWORD

Or you can build your own with a rotary switch that has two separate sections (for Left and Right channels)

Or you can build an electronic one using audio switching IC's
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 12:04:12 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 12:15:40 am »
I'm sure some won't like it, but I think a combination of AirPlay (an Apple protocol for streaming audio via WiFi from iTunes and any of their devices to compatible speakers, Apple TVs or their WiFi router, the Airport Express. The Airport Express has a 3.5mm output and a USB port for plugging your printer into it and printing from anywhere. It's handy if you frequently travel and you only have an Ethernet connection.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/airplay/

Airport Express

Expensive box that happens to support AirPlay

The other way is to use Bluetooth, but the range is very bad. If you are using this in a single room it will be OK, otherwise, you will need to use something to extend its range or use other technology to get the audio to the other room (just don't run an audio cable without any shilding through the same tube your mains wiring is  ::)). I have been looking for a Bluetooth to 3.5mm adapter since I got my first Bluetooth device. I finally found it:

A lovely Belkin F8Z492-P.

I have been looking for this for years.

Now you just have to get some of these for your speakers and a set of bluetooth headphones. I don't like the ones that hang behind your neck, but hey are the most popular. Getting ones with microphone can be handy too. Here's something ironic:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ericsson-Bluetooth-Stereo-Headset/dp/B003DQ1DCM/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1328141323&sr=1-10
It comes with a 3.5mm output as well, so you can use it as an adapter like the ones above and as an FM radio.

That's for wireless solutions. I will come up with wired solutions later because my mind and I are tired. You can put the switch on the post above in a nice box. I have one and I have thought of doing it, but the shaft is too long and I have to put more stuff in the box so it is useful and heavy enough. I am thinking about adding an FM receiver or maybe repurposing an old CD-ROM with an ATAPI interface into a remote controlled CD-player (oh wait, I have no CDs because I'm a 21st century "kiddie").

Edit: perhaps I could add an equalizer and a loudness switch to the audio switch.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 12:21:49 am by ivan747 »

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 12:23:40 am »
Make sure you use a headphone amplifier for devices that are designed to drive speaker inputs and not headphones. Make a CMoy amplifier or something like that.

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 01:06:57 am »
Aha! Audio selector this is perfect, thanks guys

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 01:33:10 am »
Aha! Audio selector this is perfect, thanks guys

Just be aware that we don't know whats inside that jaycar audio selector.
99.9% likely that it's just a switch, so will work in either direction. (input->3output   or output>3input)  but we don't know for sure.

Offline ron

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 03:41:41 am »
Since you are switching line level signal, make sure you use shielded cable (not speaker wire).

Offline Kilroy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 04:33:46 am »
Speaker selector box.

Any decent audio/video/home theater store should have them.

The fool generalizes the particular; the nerd particularizes the general; some do both; and the wise does neither.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 05:40:37 am »
Since you are switching line level signal, make sure you use shielded cable (not speaker wire).

It's not too bad, PC soundcard output is more powerful than line level, it can drive headphones directly.
but yeah, should be shielded cable anyway.

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 07:03:54 am »
Sounds like you are looking for a studio monitor switch box.
There are many of these available and I also knocked up my own (2 stereo ins, 4 stereo outs, fully balanced with a big K system calibration knob). Behringer just released one at NAMM ( or http://www.behringer.com/EN/products/CONTROL1USB.aspx) which looks cool.
Was it really supposed to do that?

Offline ron

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 08:00:51 am »
Typical soundcard output is line level -- I didn't say mic level. 

OP didn't give many details.  If he his card has front and rear outputs, he might connect remote speakers to rear and switch with software.  Many cards have a separate headphone jack as do most computer speakers.  So headphones aren't a problem.

If there is only one output OP could just use a y-splitter and use the the on/off or volume controls on the speakers.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 10:08:17 am »
My computers onboard sound is 1.5VRMS with 440Hz test signal, (just tested it) so 50% more than line level.

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 10:13:07 am »
All you've shown is that it gives an output of just under +6dBu at some output level setting.
If you want 0dBu out then turn down the signal.
Was it really supposed to do that?

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 12:30:06 pm »
So I am looking for a device that will direct my computers audio where I want it.  I have speakers, headphones, and a cable from my lab in the other room for speakers there.  Is there such a device in existence?  I can't find the right wording to search for it i guess.

Roman

Have you checked your audio out puts on your computer on mine they are directly switchable from the desktop, i can switch between output sockets front back etc with a click of the mouse. If you cant on your computer it might be an idea to get a separate audio card.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf