Author Topic: FS: Steelcase Volley VESA mount arm (for Rigol DHO800/900 Oscilloscopes)  (Read 754 times)

Offline neverendingstudentTopic starter

• Contributor
Hey all.  Electronics nerd here.  I also buy at auctions and sell on eBay / Craigslist.  Recently I bought a skid and a half of mostly new in box, out-of-production Steelcase Volley monitor arm kits.  These monitor arms do not use gas pistons or springs, no upward force, NO MINIMUM WEIGHT.  They stay at whatever height you move them to by a clever adjustable one-way friction mechanism.

Anyway, a lot of us have one of the sexy new Rigol DHO800/900 series oscilloscopes since (among other things) they're tiny and come with VESA mount capabilities, which is sweet.  But the problem we have been running into is all these monitor arms have loaded upward tension and are designed with a higher minimum weight than the Rigol, since they are expecting TVs or computer monitors.  Some people are locking down the arms with hardware mods, others are adding lead tire weights to get around this.  I have a bunch of VESA mount arms that will just work without mods, and they look nice too (cast aluminium arms, built-in interior cable routing, brushed finish...).

Ebay link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/256495160268

I'm using one for my DHO914 and it works and looks great, see pictures.  You will want to use 20mm countersunk M4 screws and 12mm M4 interior sized nylon spacers for airflow (or at least that's the solution I used to make sure I wasn't blocking any of the heatsink vent area with the VESA plate).  Those are on Amazon in kits for super cheap.  That, or contact me on eBay before purchase and I'll thrown in a 4x set of each screws and spacers.  Be aware that without contacting me, those extra screws and spacers are not included - I need to know to put them in.

Video:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 03:32:39 pm by neverendingstudent »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
How much roughly did you have them tensioned for the demo video?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Contributor
Very low, but not the lowest it can go while still holding height.  I just played around with the vertical tension before replying and it can go a tad lower and still stop where you lower it to, but it can be detensioned even further to where once it is pushed down it will continue until it has reached minimum height.  You can tweak it pretty finely by adjusting only 1 of the 2 hinges at a time.

Coefficient of dynamic friction will (except for weird materials) almost always be lower than the coefficient of static friction, so there is a 'grey area' of tension you don't want to use that is just short of zero.

Oh, and as for the horizontal swing tension: the base is pretty free-rotating (there is a limiter pin you can reposition to give it 180 or 2 different sections of ~80 degrees, or remove for 360 degrees) while the middle hinge is tensionable by popping off a cap on the underside - it uses the same 5mm hex nut as the other adjustment points do.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 11:31:00 pm by neverendingstudent »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Thanks for the head's up,but what blew my mind is your magnetic holder strip with all those WERA screwdrivers ready to fight!
I like your bench, congrats!
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: neverendingstudent

• Contributor
Thanks for the head's up,but what blew my mind is your magnetic holder strip with all those WERA screwdrivers ready to fight!
I like your bench, congrats!

Aww!  Thank you.

I have a bench tour of an earlier version on my YouTube channel, though I've had major additions and alterations since then.  I also have yet to post my bench to the 'Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.' thread.  It's on my to-do list, probably after doing a video update showing all the current setup so I can link that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf