Author Topic: FS UK Synchros Resolvers 115V 26V Size 11  (Read 4081 times)

Offline woodchipsTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
FS UK Synchros Resolvers 115V 26V Size 11
« on: December 26, 2016, 10:23:24 am »
More tidying up and clearing out.

It was rather unexpected to provide so much amusement to other forum members with my previous posts. All I can say is that no one seems to buy at auctions and can't value what they are looking at. That unsoldered pulls have no value in particular, pah! I got £170/kg for pulls removed from conformal coated boards with a chisel and mallet, best socketted pulls was £280/kg for SRAMs.

This is a collection of synchros and resolvers built up over the last 20 years or so.

Mostly size 11 with some size 08 and 15. Mix of CX, CT, TR, TX. In estimated quantities greatest is CX and CT, not many torque type, a museum took them all some years ago. About 85% size 11, rest mostly size 08, few size 15. Resolvers about 15% of total, both size 11 and size 15, not seen any size 08. About equal numbers of 26V and 115V. All 400Hz.

Most of these have some from test sets so minimal use.

They are all pulls, so mostly the connecting leads have been cut rather than unterminated. Some still have the final signal input gear attached to their shaft. There are a number of coupling units from Vulcans and similar, these look to be new, so far not disintegrated.

Manufactured mainly by Muirhead and Moore Read, Muirhead ones frequently only have their own in house type numbering on them.

Almost all are standard accuracy, 8 minutes of arc or so, few precision ones, might be one or two lower grade.

I have counted 700 of them. Whilst I knew I had a few this number came as a bit of a shock. 

Price ??? I was selling these for £40-60 each as is, even at £10 each that is £7k, what offers?

This lot of synchros and resolvers comes with a collection of test and other equipment. A Muirhead tester, H&W angle tester, a H&W No2 Microptic Theodolite, simulator using resistors, various 400Hz supplies, angle indicators, AC potentiometers, books and sales info. The angle testers were intended to test the devices to an accuray far beyond their inherent accuracy, but never got round to making the various adapters. The AC pots were to check the windings, also try to identify the Muirhead to commercial equivalence.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: FS UK Synchros Resolvers 115V 26V Size 11
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 07:23:07 pm »
That unsoldered pulls have no value in particular, pah! I got £170/kg for pulls removed from conformal coated boards with a chisel and mallet, best socketted pulls was £280/kg for SRAMs.

Are you sure that wasn't the price per ton... hard to see what value there is in scrap chips
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Hensingler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 03:06:16 am »
Are you sure that wasn't the price per ton... hard to see what value there is in scrap chips
Priced per kg? Gold.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 11:13:13 am »
Priced per kg? Gold.
Very few chips have any gold these days, and even the old ones only had a plating, which even at today's gold prices wouldn't be worth £250/kg of unprocessed chips

Offline woodchipsTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 03:29:36 pm »

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 03:48:53 pm »
So presumably old ex-military parts ?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 03:57:33 pm »
All I can say is that no one seems to buy at auctions and can't value what they are looking at.

Not quite. 

A better statement might be "All I can say is that no one on this site seems to buy that type of component at auctions and the value to them is less than the value to other people.

I suggest you simply concentrate on whichever disposal route gives you the most profit, and don't bother about the others.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline philpem

• Frequent Contributor
  • That Sneaky British Bloke
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 08:53:38 pm »

Well. In that case, I'll eat my words. Apologies for my sharp tongue.

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal. Enjoy your nest egg of scrap silicon and MoD parts!
Phil / M0OFX -- Electronics/Software Engineer
"Why do I have a room full of test gear? Why, it saves on the heating bill!"

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 11:37:51 am »

Well. In that case, I'll eat my words. Apologies for my sharp tongue.

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal. Enjoy your nest egg of scrap silicon and MoD parts!
Interesting

In Aug 2011 gold was about £34-35k per kilo.

The refiner was working on the basis of 0.89% Au (by weight, presumably) for "ceramic chips" - a bit of googling suggests that old Intel/AMD CPUs would be in this range, maybe a bit lower.

£34k * 0.89% is £302 making the £258 that you were offered a pretty good deal. I would not have thought there was enough margin at that price but I'm not in metal refining.

You live & learn :)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 12:59:36 pm »
Money laundering???
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Bakunin

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 05:20:32 am »
Money laundering???

Not necessarily. Bullion price and spot price are two very different beasts, with bullion price being non-negligibly above spot. It gets very complicated the further down the rabbit hole you go, but essentially there is substantially more 'spot gold' being traded than could be delivered within the spot timeframe - spot gold is actually fiat partially backed by already extracted gold with the rest being 'will/could be extracted if necessary'. However, the latter is an agreed-upon fiction hence the prevalence of gold leasing and relaxation of gold reserve requirements for central banks to allow holding spot instead of bullion. It gets very surreal and rather scary the more you understand the make-believe involved.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 08:33:09 am »
Money laundering???

Not necessarily. Bullion price and spot price are two very different beasts, with bullion price being non-negligibly above spot. It gets very complicated the further down the rabbit hole you go, but essentially there is substantially more 'spot gold' being traded than could be delivered within the spot timeframe - spot gold is actually fiat partially backed by already extracted gold with the rest being 'will/could be extracted if necessary'. However, the latter is an agreed-upon fiction hence the prevalence of gold leasing and relaxation of gold reserve requirements for central banks to allow holding spot instead of bullion. It gets very surreal and rather scary the more you understand the make-believe involved.

That's true of money in general.

I've often wondered what "money" actually is, in the same sense physicists wonder about what an electron actually is. The best definition I've come across is written on each and every UK banknote: "I promise to pay the bearer....".

Provided people believe the promise, all is well and good. But if people doubt the promise... look at Zimbabwe to see what happens.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Bakunin

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 07:38:25 pm »
Money laundering???

That's true of money in general.

To the general public, perhaps. For anyone who has even the most general grasp of economics in the post-gold standard era, money being fiat is not a surprise. On the other hand, gold reserves which are supposed to be partially backing said fiat *also* being fiat is very much a nasty surprise. When you're next having tea with the governor of the Bank Of England, ask him how much of the gold reserves he's supposed to physically have in his vaults is actually there. You'll be out on your ear faster than if you'd passed the port the wrong way.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 10:40:32 am »
It is there, but at the same time is being used by others as well. My gold, your gold, the neighbours gold, all the same bar. Kind of like the bank, lending you an umbrella but wanting it back in the rain.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf