Author Topic: How much is a fair price for a Fluke 287 with these conditions ?  (Read 16788 times)

Offline BravoVTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Re: How much is a fair price for a Fluke 287 with these conditions ?
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 02:24:13 am »
@retiredcaps,

It came with Energizer alkalines, all gone into the dumpster even they're still fresh  >:(, now its powered by black XX eneloop 2400 mAH cells.  :-+

@M. András,

That was just plain luck, don't think I can easily bump into this kind of deal again.  :P

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 04:04:12 am »
A surprising development, due to unplanned & unfortunate  >:D chain of events at the seller, I'm ended up with these with total expenditure 220(1st)+120(2nd)=$340. For sure wifey will not going to sympathize me for blowing off my electronic "hobbyist" budget.  :-[

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2013, 05:15:27 am »
I'm ended up with these with total expenditure 220(1st)+120(2nd)=$340.
At $120, I need one.  It is easily the best deal I have seen on a 287.

You could easily resell one in the $300 range and have one left for a net price of $40.

Offline ElectroIrradiator

• Frequent Contributor
  • More analog than digital.
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2013, 09:48:36 am »
A surprising development, due to unplanned & unfortunate  >:D chain of events at the seller, I'm ended up with these with total expenditure 220(1st)+120(2nd)=$340. For sure wifey will not going to sympathize me for blowing off my electronic "hobbyist" budget.  :-[

:o

That pair would cost [the equivalent of] 1530,- USD at an authorized Fluke dealer here in Denmark. Excluding sales tax. I'll take one of them off your hands for $300 if she complains too loudly.

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2013, 09:53:41 am »
Agree, that is a very tempting thought about selling one.

These deals were made possible also because of the good relationship with the shop, and personally I know the shop owner very well for years. The price for the 2nd one actually came out from the shop owner's mouth himself as part of the chaos happened at there, not very clear though, its like they're cleaning up some inventory to chase up with the 4th quarter sales target/number or something related  :-//, and this shop is part of the bigger company group that well known as a distributor for branded TMM & Medical appliances.

As I mentioned before, I need two data loggers, and with these twins, I can save my hand held Tek scope from doing this "dirty" job.  So sorry, I'm not feeling to let go one of them now. :P

To be honest, this 287 is the most advanced hand held DMM I had ever own personally, and not only one, got two at the same time, no wonder I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with joy now.  :bullshit:

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:02:36 am by BravoV »

Offline ElectroIrradiator

• Frequent Contributor
  • More analog than digital.
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2013, 10:07:09 am »
As I mentioned before, I need two data loggers, and with these twins, I can save my hand held Tek scope from doing this "dirty" job.  So sorry, I'm not feeling to let go one of them now. :P

:D

Makes sense, I'd probably do the same in your situation.

To be honest, this 287 is the most advanced hand held DMM I had ever own personally, and not only one, got two at the same time, no wonder I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with joy now.  :bullshit:

It was certainly the deal of the week IMO.  ;)

alm

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2013, 01:42:23 pm »
Definitely a great deal. The 287 is probably up there with the most advanced hand held DMMs, and apart from the size I wouldn't mind using it for daily use, even though I don't think Dave liked it for that.

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2013, 03:02:31 pm »
lucky man, seriously could you score me at at the same prices? :)

alm: the 28x series fluke is not that large if you have a normal size hand, and i have sllightly below normal size and i can hold the meter just fine, and its not a compact meter like those little chinese stuffs
btw for the price my 289fvf kit was approx 1k usd from an authorized distributor here. and they gave me a huge discount considering with taxes etc the price was the farnell price minus vat. and here the farnell charges our 27% vat |O while on their uk site there isnt even any metion of vat so seriously..... |O |O |O

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2013, 01:13:07 pm »
I have a medium sized hand too and don't feel its too big, maybe Dave has small hand ?  ^-^

M. András,

Since you mentioned it 1st, yes, "IF" I can score "another" one with similar cheap price, you will the 1st to know.

But again, that was like waiting for the planets in solar system to line up again, really, its so weird that even now I still don't believe it really happened like that my self.  ???

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2013, 03:32:49 pm »
I have a medium sized hand too and don't feel its too big, maybe Dave has small hand ?  ^-^

M. András,

Since you mentioned it 1st, yes, "IF" I can score "another" one with similar cheap price, you will the 1st to know.

But again, that was like waiting for the planets in solar system to line up again, really, its so weird that even now I still don't believe it really happened like that my self.  ???
yeh, its like when the auction ended on a slightly used wha 900 weller hot air station with 1 nozzle included i was outbid by 1 euro. it went for 250eur initially. left with a chinese s.... for a while again.as i wont spend 1300eur+vat here for a hotair tool which contains a smal pcb a turbine and a heating element and the casual weller casing. damn work times in the country.... btw i will make the model of the ir cable for the meter or atleast try it. never used the sheetmetal forming tool to make that shape but the connecting and would be simple to replicate. or atleast i give you the measurements in mail. btw mail me the format which you prefer i mean the cad file

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2013, 08:48:02 pm »
btw mail me the format which you prefer i mean the cad file

Doh .. I don't do CAD or 3D stuff  :-//, is PDF with three axis views possible ? I mean like the style used at mechanical engineering paper sheet.

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2013, 07:36:49 am »
btw mail me the format which you prefer i mean the cad file

Doh .. I don't do CAD or 3D stuff  :-//, is PDF with three axis views possible ? I mean like the style used at mechanical engineering paper sheet.
alright i will try. i havent had any luck regarding to export my works properly to printable drawings. will see

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2013, 05:43:02 pm »
M. András, much appreciated !  :-+

Meanwhile, at the 2nd unit, since it was a display & demo unit for walk in customers, it was installed with alkaline cells. I skipped the battery terminals checking at this 2nd unit when dealing since it was quite hectic moment at there, especially it was offered at the good price. Today just had a time to fully inspect it, it happened again  >:( , and the DMM battery capacity was still showing full bar with those shitty batteries, I will just let the photos below speak for it self.

Yes, the price is really good that made this is not a big deal, but still this really pissed me off seeing the nickel plating at the terminal is gone and showing sign of rusting.  |O  Damn it, enough is enough, no more f*#@king alkaline cell will ever touch my gadgets anymore.  :rant:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 05:45:36 pm by BravoV »

alm

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2013, 05:47:18 pm »
Those batteries are not past their use by date. Don't Energizer offer some sort of warranty for damage by leaking batteries? I seem to recall someone having Energizer pay for equipment repair or replacement.

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2013, 06:21:01 pm »
Its not worth the effort, last time I did try at my ruined camera flash unit, and ended up got stuck in loop at their bureaucracy for > 3 months, gave up in the process cause its too long.  >:(

I've never use alkaline for quite long time, thats why I asked at the beginning at this thread about using nimh/eneloop at this meter, and usually when I brought a new gadget back home that was installed with alkaline, the 1st thing I did was to throw them away even they're fresh, I've experienced enough with these in the past.

Just couldn't believe it happened again at this new 287, I missed & forgot to do that since I'm quite busy traveling lately, hard lesson learned, again.  :palm:

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2013, 09:48:48 pm »
I skipped the battery terminals checking at this 2nd unit when dealing since it was quite hectic moment at there, especially it was offered at the good price.
Oops. 

Well, you can try to clean off those battery terminals with baking soda and vinegar.  At least yours doesn't look as bad as the 187 I bought.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/fluke-187-corroded-battery-terminals-how-to-clean/

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2013, 09:50:43 pm »
Just couldn't believe it happened again at this new 287, I missed & forgot to do that since I'm quite busy traveling lately, hard lesson learned, again.  :palm:
That leakage probably happened long before you bought the unit.  I'll still take it for $120 as the damage looks, on the photos, to be minimal, at least compared to mine 187.

If you had checked at the store, you might have gotten the 287 for $100 USD?

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2013, 11:59:00 am »
You still got an incredible deal IMHO.  ;D

The terminals aren't bad, and can be cleaned. Or you could change them out if you prefer.  :P

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2013, 01:51:15 am »
Well, you can try to clean off those battery terminals with baking soda and vinegar.  At least yours doesn't look as bad as the 187 I bought.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/fluke-187-corroded-battery-terminals-how-to-clean/
That looks so nasty  :-\, btw, I can see that thread was created last year, how is it now ? After cleaning, did you apply anything to that exposed metal, maybe like grease or something to coat the exposed metal ?

That leakage probably happened long before you bought the unit.  I'll still take it for $120 as the damage looks, on the photos, to be minimal, at least compared to mine 187.

If you had checked at the store, you might have gotten the 287 for $100 USD?
Yeah, must be started for a while, but hey, when the bargaining with the store manager was reaching like < $150, I was like saying to my self to stop being too greedy, and no further hard bargaining, was worry he might stopped the offering at all.  >:D

The terminals aren't bad, and can be cleaned. Or you could change them out if you prefer.  :P
Yeah, the nickel coating is not heavily affected yet, its now cleaned and coated thinly with dielectric grease using cotton bud at the non contact area.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 02:43:22 am by BravoV »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf