Author Topic: SCAM WARNING wtc999good-sellers selling Uni-T meters cheap on eaby  (Read 26382 times)

Offline retiredcapsTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Was doing some research for another thread and noticed seller wtc999good-sellers selling UT-139C for $10 USD + free ship.  Other listings include UT801 bench meter for $10 USD + free ship.

Obviously, ebay will shut down this seller at some point and you are protected by paypal, but I just wanted to let people know because the UT139C is popular with some members here.

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
Re: SCAM WARNING wtc999good-sellers selling Uni-T meters cheap on eaby
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 06:12:18 pm »
How do you know it's a scam?
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Online edavid

• Super Contributor

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 07:16:34 pm »
It's highly unusual pricing. Not everything is being sold that cheaply, but it looks either scammy or the seller doesn't know how much the stuff costs. Once they go to the market to fulfill the orders, they'll get an unpleasant surprise and cancel orders.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 07:53:57 pm »
Because this isn't the first time this type of unusual pricing below market has happened.  Several other examples, but just two

From 2012

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/fluke-87v-going-~-100-free-post-scam/

From 2014

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-17b-on-ebay-for-12-99usd/

This also happens on other products like Ipads, tablets, computers, etc.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 08:15:49 pm »

They are also selling Fluke 15B+ for the same price  :-//

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLUKE-15B-Digital-multimeter-Tester-DMM-with-TL75-test-leads-NEW-F15B-/262976181845

And look at this one . 33 Fluke 15B sold for $8.99 in the last 3days!. The seller has zero feedback.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 08:59:04 pm »

They are also selling Fluke 15B+ for the same price  :-//

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLUKE-15B-Digital-multimeter-Tester-DMM-with-TL75-test-leads-NEW-F15B-/262976181845

The images he is using are watermarked and swiped from "instrument_queen". That user has a good selling history and sells the same meter at the correct price. Which is a pretty good indicator that this pricing is intentional. Smells like a scam to me too, with the victim being Ebay in the end.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 10:00:12 pm »
I flagged a bunch of them that are "too good to be true", most of which have images swiped from others.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 12:32:11 am »
The site is offering 30V 10A variable power supplies for $9.99 with free international shipping!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-30V-10A-Precision-Variable-Adjustable-Digital-Regulated-DC-Power-Supply-47EO-/262977946057

:-DD

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 12:44:07 am »
The site is offering 30V 10A variable power supplies for $9.99 with free international shipping!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-30V-10A-Precision-Variable-Adjustable-Digital-Regulated-DC-Power-Supply-47EO-/262977946057

It's the same guy. He might as well offer free shipping since he's never going to actually ship it.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 05:37:15 am »
I noticed those UT-139c meters for $10 too, and the seller had zero feedback... obviously a scam. If the pe price is a third of going rate, you know it's gotta be a scam...

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 11:22:02 am »
an UNI-T UT801 Bench Type Digital Multimeter   at 9.99$   still free shipping    smell funky

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 11:23:20 am »

Ordered it :D
I think you're being mischievous but do let us know if you ever receive it. I also think it is a scam.

I got a shipping confirmation and tracking number now, will be fun to see what happens.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 11:33:23 am »
yeah  i'm tempted too to see what will happen, but in Canada, BUT it take almost45- 60 days each time, i would have bought something to try too,  on Aliexpress i had 90 days shipping recently .... outch 

2x an 4-20mA/0-10V Current Signal Generator Source Transmitter PLC Valve Calibration, an 30V 10A Precision Variable Adjustable Digital Regulated DC Power Supply 47EO, and finally an Auto-range Digital LCD Multimeter Backlight AC/DC Ammeter Voltmeter Ohm Tester

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2017, 12:20:01 pm »
The seller use identical Ebays images items from others sellers,  even stamped images ?????   hijacked account i may say ??

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 11:27:40 am »

I got a shipping confirmation and tracking number now, will be fun to see what happens.

Is the tracking number valid though?

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 02:45:15 pm »
A word of warning. Ebay no longer warns you when your time runs out after you file a claim like they used to. 

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 03:01:36 pm »
Something like this happend to me with a cheap IP WLAN camera. It was REALLY cheap (under 10€).

So the seller never shipped anything, plus he got expelled from eBay before the end of the period I had to wait for the shipping.

This made the claim a bit more troublesome, because obviously I couldn't send the usual claims to the seller. But at the end I got my money back from Paypal.

All in all it took around 3 months or so to get the money back.

Even if I didn't get the money back, no serious harm would have been done to me financially, due to the low investment.

But is it worth all the annoyment? I don't think so.

I think many eBay users don't get too active to get US$ 5-10 US$ back on fishy purchases. This might be the target of those chinese sellers. Selling 100x something at US$10 will earn them US$1000 with little work. I don't know how easy it is for eBay/Paypal to get their money back.

Regards,
Vitor

Offline whitevamp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 03:05:30 pm »
I took a chance and ordered a couple things from this seller, and i got tracking number's, and i then went to china post to track the numbers, and they are legit tracking numbers and one has all ready cleared customs.
at first one of them was saying no tracking information, like it was a bogus #  but this morning it shows good.
so we shall see what happens.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 03:56:43 pm »
It's really sad that this is the world we live in...seems everyday there is a new scam... :(

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 03:58:45 pm »

Since I posted this just over 2 days ago, the seller has sold an extra 52 power supplies. So the seller does have to potential to sell a huge quantity of items before non delivery would become an issue.

The tracking numbers could easily be genuine if the seller sends something like an empty packet deliberately to non-existent address in the same suburb. There would be all this tracking information and nothing ever arrives.

What puzzles me is how a new seller can be selling so many items. Usually they limit new sellers to a low number of items - such as 10, and I gather is you have a good record for 3 months, you can request an increase. This seller started March 2, sold a few items to get a record, and now suddenly has about 400 items for sale - mostly $9.99 or less. This includes things like $177 Mitutoyo callipers for under $11.

I cannot understand how this seller can be allowed to sell so much after just 2 months, but I think eBay will be having a lot of fun soon. Looking at the sales, and probably something like 1000 items have been sold already in probably a  week or something like that. If the rate accelerates, it could be a massive number of sales before the deliveries are due. Over $50k or $100K of sales wouldn't be surprising.

But of those $9.99 Fluke multimeters and Fluke digital IR thermometers look nice. Maybe I should ....

Edit: Just noticed the seller excludes China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan. In other words sells anywhere but locally where delivery would have to be just a few days.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 04:09:29 pm by amspire »

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2017, 04:07:14 pm »
I just looked at the offered products myself:

1) Most are sold at US$9.99, despite being totally different products.
2) Most products sold at this price cost MUCH more from any other Chinese seller. Example: UNI-T UT801 Digital Bench Multimeter sold for US$9.99 costs at least US$130 at any other seller.
3) All pictures are STOLEN from other sellers and still have their original watermark. Not very trustfull!
4) One buyer gave negative feedback claiming he never received any product.

These are all warning signs that indicate that this is a scam and even if you have US$10 to play with, you certainly will not receive anything except frustration.

If a deal seems MUCH TOO GOOD, it is a scam or you are purchasing defective or stolen products.

In this case, it cannot be defective or stolen products, because at least the power source's shipping costs would be higher than US$9.99 due to its weight.

Regards,
Vitor

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2017, 04:07:29 pm »
unfortunately ebay has turned into a cesspool. I have lots of things I'd like to sell, but hearing all the stories of how buyers make false  claims and how the paypal takes your money, I'm not sure I can risk it...
always a few ruin it for everyone...

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2017, 04:38:25 pm »
Over the years I have purchased a lot of great stuff from eBay.

Only few bad cases, which were more than compensated by all the good deals. In fact I couldn't recall any bad deal on spot.

However, things have shifted: I almost exclusively purchase cheap chinese stuff, which costs 4-5 times the eBay price when purchased locally.

Sometimes I purchased second hand stuff from sellers within the EU, but in these cases I know what I am buying and even if the device is broken, it will be useful to me or even repairable.

But I have NEVER EVER SOLD anything on eBay. I don't know how high the risk is, but I think there is a risk indeed. I would prefer to sell to "known" people in a forum like this one over to selling to "strangers" on eBay.

On eBay, the protection is limited to (in this order):

- eBay/Paypal
- buyer

The seller is NOT proteced in any way, as far as I know.

Regards,
Vitor

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2017, 06:04:06 pm »
It's really sad that this is the world we live in...seems everyday there is a new scam... :(
There has always been scams even before the Internet age.  It is just that sharing this information is much easier now.  There has always been and always will be scams in the future.

Offline gazereths

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2017, 07:55:32 pm »
I've been hosed a few times lately, ebays global shipping program wouldn't refund me for a list mobo and got scammed with 3 AMD CPUS, I'm really reluctant to buy and sell on eBay nowadays  :-//

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 12:10:41 am »
I've had eBay cases decided in my favor as a seller, but you really have to have all the facts straight, a clear history of messages for them to read through, and anything else that supports your case. The only times I've had issues with buyers was when selling consumer-grade electronics. Test equipment has been hassle-free, so far, but I'm not dealing in large volume, either. I wouldn't want to have to deal with selling on eBay on a regular basis.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 12:40:50 am »
Even if I didn't get the money back, no serious harm would have been done to me financially

That's why these scams work: you think it's hardly worth the hassle of however little it cost you, but multiply that by the number of people scammed and you can be talking real money. The only way to stop this kind of thing is to not make it worth THEIR time and expense. What it costs you is irrelevant.

Offline JonnyM

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2017, 06:15:27 am »
His items just disappeared from ebay

Offline Decapitator

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2017, 06:29:06 am »
I ordered 2 of the 30v 10a power supplies before seeing this thread. I was unable to "purchase" any more items due to a 10 day limit placed by the seller. Later the item was sold out at 179 pieces. A few hours later it was available once again with 205 pieces eventually sold. Currently all 380+ items offered by wtf999... are ended (by the seller) and no longer available.

Ebay status is currently "This item has been shipped." No tracking number has been provided yet. I don't always get one so that isn't a concern.

New sellers who are trying to quickly build positive feedback often are sometimes willing to take huge losses initially. In the past, I've bought some items for a penny (and many others for less than a quarter) along with free shipping (and tracking). To see it on this scale is indeed highly unusual.

Here's another one if anyone else is feeling adventuresome.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10A-30V-DC-Power-Supply-Adjustable-Dual-Digital-Variable-Precision-Lab-Grade-/192187753237

I'm in for 2 @ $7.99 cdn ($5.82 US) each with free shipping.

We'll see how it goes.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 06:34:53 am by Decapitator »

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2017, 06:38:23 am »
All items disappeared from the original seller, the new seller will also likely be a scam as well.

(some weird things happening on eBay, quite a few stores have 0 items for sale, including reputable ones based in the UK that I've used often)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 06:41:21 am by CJay »

Offline whitevamp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2017, 07:44:49 am »
I ordered 2 of the 30v 10a power supplies before seeing this thread. I was unable to "purchase" any more items due to a 10 day limit placed by the seller. Later the item was sold out at 179 pieces. A few hours later it was available once again with 205 pieces eventually sold. Currently all 380+ items offered by wtf999... are ended (by the seller) and no longer available.

Ebay status is currently "This item has been shipped." No tracking number has been provided yet. I don't always get one so that isn't a concern.

New sellers who are trying to quickly build positive feedback often are sometimes willing to take huge losses initially. In the past, I've bought some items for a penny (and many others for less than a quarter) along with free shipping (and tracking). To see it on this scale is indeed highly unusual.

Here's another one if anyone else is feeling adventuresome.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10A-30V-DC-Power-Supply-Adjustable-Dual-Digital-Variable-Precision-Lab-Grade-/192187753237

I'm in for 2 @ $7.99 cdn ($5.82 US) each with free shipping.

We'll see how it goes.
lol i made an offered for 2c 1.49us and the seller declined it and canceled the listing.  :-DD

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2017, 10:21:20 am »
wtc999good-sellers   no more items ???
candacejane7793      no more items  loll ???

Offline JonnyM

• Contributor

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2017, 11:48:07 am »
Another $10 power supply?, this seller seems to have great feedback

http://m.ebay.com/itm/New-30V-10A-Precision-Variable-Adjustable-Digital-Regulated-DC-Power-Supply-47EO-/322518580225?nav=SEARCH

Same $9.99 Fluke 15+ with the pic culled from Instrument Queen as well

Offline Decapitator

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2017, 12:08:58 pm »
wtc999good-sellers   no more items ???
candacejane7793      no more items  loll ???

I've put my money where my mouth is, so for now it's just wait and see.

In the case of "wtc999", the fact that there was a 10 day restriction placed on the number of items purchased at loss leader pricing, and the abrupt ending of all listings by the seller at the same time, (perhaps once a quota was met) leads me to believe that their plan was to quickly develop a strong positive  feedback reputation in a minimum amount of time. If that is the case, I'd expect the seller to return in a month or so with pricing in the normal range.

In the case of "candace", in checking the completed listings, I can see the seller has offered 3 separate groups of the same item within the past few days, with 5 pieces in each group. Each sold out quickly. I caught the beginning of the third, which was still open at the time I posted the link. Hopefully a few other forum members had enough time to respond. It wouldn't surprise me if additional batches are offered in the next few days.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Offline Decapitator

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2017, 12:47:12 pm »

...and a Asian market Fluke 107 for $9.99?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluke107-KCH12-SOFT-CASE-Palm-sized-portable-handheld-Digital-Multimeter-F107-/322518578109

What could possibly go wrong? I'm in at the limit (only one per 10 days).

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2017, 01:05:16 pm »
famous last words... what could possibly go wrong...
LOL

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2017, 05:59:26 pm »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluke107-KCH12-SOFT-CASE-Palm-sized-portable-handheld-Digital-Multimeter-F107-/322518578109

Just bought one (or something/nothing) myself.
Jay

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2017, 06:13:02 pm »
This is how the scam operates.  A seller opens a new account on Ebay and Paypal account linked to a new bank account secured with fake documents. Then one or more items are offered at a very lowball price.  When several people purchase the item(s) the seller never sends it, ignores all messages, and within two weeks, several hundred dollars are deposited into their Papal account, which is swept to the bank account.  The money from the bank account is withdrawn via ATM, and the seller walks away from Ebay, Paypal, and the bank several hundred dollars richer.
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2017, 06:19:33 pm »
This is how the scam operates.  A seller opens a new account on Ebay and Paypal account linked to a new bank account secured with fake documents. Then one or more items are offered at a very lowball price.  When several people purchase the item(s) the seller never sends it, ignores all messages, and within two weeks, several hundred dollars are deposited into their Papal account, which is swept to the bank account.  The money from the bank account is withdrawn via ATM, and the seller walks away from Ebay, Paypal, and the bank several hundred dollars richer.
I paid through PayPal, so if it doesn't arrive, it's not going to be me being scammed.  :popcorn:
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2017, 06:25:19 pm »
Nope,  you will get your money back thanks to the guarantees.  It is paypal and Ebay that gets hit in the end.

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2017, 06:47:40 pm »

Doesn't PayPal put a hold on a new seller's funds?

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2017, 08:00:16 pm »

I'm not sure if PayPal holds funds for non-US sellers. They definitely do for US ones.

I paid through PayPal, so if it doesn't arrive, it's not going to be me being scammed.  :popcorn:

You won't be scammed directly. However, the increased cost to eBay and PayPal trickles down to higher fees to sellers, which then trickle down to higher costs to buyers. The only ones who win are the scammers, if they get away clean.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2017, 08:04:00 pm »
You won't be scammed directly. However, the increased cost to eBay and PayPal trickles down to higher fees to sellers, which then trickle down to higher costs to buyers. The only ones who win are the scammers, if they get away clean.
+1 above.  Ebay/Paypal will simply increase costs to buyers and sellers through increased fees to cover fraud, cheaters, lost parcels in mail, etc.  They won't absorb the cost, but simply pass it on to us, the consumers.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2017, 08:06:18 pm »

I'm not sure if PayPal holds funds for non-US sellers. They definitely do for US ones.

That's what I was thinking, ebay will pass the "savings" to us true higher fees...   :D

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2017, 08:09:47 pm »
If you think about it, knowingly purchasing these items is enabling the crime. Thus, doing so is effectively acting as an accessory to fraud. Will anything happen to you as a result? Unlikely. However, the situation is something to contemplate.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2017, 08:13:36 pm »
Instead of buying, click the "Report Item" link above the description on the right side. Then, select the following:

Report category: Listing practices
Reason for report: Fraudulent listing practices
Detailed reason: You suspect the listing is fraudulent

Click the Submit Report button. If it gives an error about the item number being missing, just click the button again and it'll complete.

That's all. No need to write anything. Just a few clicks.

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2017, 08:14:32 pm »
If you think about it, knowingly purchasing these items is enabling the crime. Thus, doing so is effectively acting as an accessory to fraud. Will anything happen to you as a result? Unlikely. However, the situation is something to contemplate.
It's unfair to make that assumption.
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2017, 08:18:17 pm »
Instead of buying, click the "Report Item" link above the description on the right side. Then, select the following:

Report category: Listing practices
Reason for report: Fraudulent listing practices
Detailed reason: You suspect the listing is fraudulent

Click the Submit Report button. If it gives an error about the item number being missing, just click the button again and it'll complete.

That's all. No need to write anything. Just a few clicks.

:thumbsup:

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2017, 08:28:34 pm »
I hve to admit it. I got hit by one of these scams recently.  I tried to buy a microscope ring light that everyone else listed at 24 dollars.  The seller had it up ther for 10 dollars.  I should have known, looking back on it, since they were using stock pics from the manufacturer and very low sales volume.  The Seller was new and had no history.  Ebay is the one that told me how the scam works after it all was done and said.

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2017, 08:34:11 pm »

A legal view is the concept of "good faith"   If a buyer attempts to purchase and item and is willing or has paid, the buyer is acting in "good faith", and would fully expect the transaction to go through.  Only if the buyer is fully appraised of the scam and is in collusion with the seller would the buyer be subjected to criminal charges.  As long as the buyer is acting in good faith, they have broken no laws or moral obligations.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2017, 08:34:34 pm »
I hve to admit it. I got hit by one of these scams recently.  I tried to buy a microscope ring light that everyone else listed at 24 dollars.  The seller had it up ther for 10 dollars.  I should have known, looking back on it, since they were using stock pics from the manufacturer and very low sales volume.  The Seller was new and had no history.  Ebay is the one that told me how the scam works after it all was done and said.

I thought first it was said, then it was done...

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2017, 08:35:52 pm »
Ahh, semantics and grammer.  Oh, well.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2017, 08:49:32 pm »

A legal view is the concept of "good faith"   If a buyer attempts to purchase and item and is willing or has paid, the buyer is acting in "good faith", and would fully expect the transaction to go through.  Only if the buyer is fully appraised of the scam and is in collusion with the seller would the buyer be subjected to criminal charges.  As long as the buyer is acting in good faith, they have broken no laws or moral obligations.

Yeah, I'm certainly not a lawyer, but the key phrase was "knowingly purchasing". It was simply something to think about when tempted to buy. I like good deals and "scores", but this kind of thing affects us whether buyers or sellers. My hope is that as a community, we EEVbloggers can work together to help make a difference.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2017, 08:50:43 pm »
 luolanjun33229   flagged to ebay 30 items  with queen name in it ...

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2017, 08:52:50 pm »
oh  i think the name is gone ...

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2017, 08:56:12 pm »
Oh oh...

"We had to remove this listing from the site and you're not required to complete the transaction. If you've already sent payment, the sale should process as normal and you don't have anything to worry about. If you have any questions about delivery, please check tracking or contact your seller. If you run into any trouble along the way eBay is here to help. Please visit the Resolution Center to help resolve any problems you may encounter."

...process as normal and you don't have anything to worry about...

Except you (I) won't be getting your (my) meter, of course.
Jay

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2017, 09:00:37 pm »
Oh oh...

"We had to remove this listing from the site and you're not required to complete the transaction. If you've already sent payment, the sale should process as normal and you don't have anything to worry about. If you have any questions about delivery, please check tracking or contact your seller. If you run into any trouble along the way eBay is here to help. Please visit the Resolution Center to help resolve any problems you may encounter."

So I guess you'll be "visiting the Resolution Center" soon... LOL

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2017, 10:26:31 pm »
Oh oh...

So I guess you'll be "visiting the Resolution Center" soon... LOL

Maybe not so soon.  :)
Estimated delivery Fri, May 26 - Sat, Jun 17
Please stand by...
It's only 10 bucks, so no big deal.
Jay

Offline ocw

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2017, 10:59:44 pm »
wtc999good-sellers has moved to Wytheville, Virginia and lowered the 15B+ price to $8.99:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLUKE-15B-Digital-multimeter-Tester-DMM-with-TL75-test-leads-Soft-case-KCH17-/232337648793?hash=item3618672c99:g:M2MAAOSwONBZGtDT
Happy trails to $8.99 ...

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2017, 11:33:47 pm »
huge clues:  Seller has 0 feedback. Seller is brand new May 5th.  Price is unbelievable.  Pictures are lifted from different aliexpress ads.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Upgrade-FLUKE-15B-F15B-Digital-Multimeter-Meter-100uf-to-1000uf-larger-LCD-backlight-faster/32810116941.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.312.kEroQO&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_5_10152_10065_10151_10130_10068_5160015_436_10136_10137_10157_10060_10138_10155_10062_10156_10154_10056_10055_10054_10059_100032_100033_100031_10099_10103_10102_10096_10147_10052_10053_10050_10107_10142_10051_5150015_10084_10083_10080_10082_10081_10178_10110_10111_10112_10113_10114_10181_10183_10182_10185_10078_10079_10073_10123,searchweb201603_4,ppcSwitch_5&btsid=f5b2cc9a-1f94-4afa-ab0f-785d8343171f&algo_expid=1c19eda8-3fe0-4ab3-aa8c-115f46b31a66-41&algo_pvid=1c19eda8-3fe0-4ab3-aa8c-115f46b31a66

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/True-NEW-FLUKE-15B-F15B-Digital-Multimeter-W-Free-Case-FLUKE-15B-F15B-Digital-Multimeter/32752323457.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.268.kEroQO&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_5_10152_10065_10151_10130_10068_5160015_436_10136_10137_10157_10060_10138_10155_10062_10156_10154_10056_10055_10054_10059_100032_100033_100031_10099_10103_10102_10096_10147_10052_10053_10050_10107_10142_10051_5150015_10084_10083_10080_10082_10081_10178_10110_10111_10112_10113_10114_10181_10183_10182_10185_10078_10079_10073_10123,searchweb201603_4,ppcSwitch_5&btsid=f5b2cc9a-1f94-4afa-ab0f-785d8343171f&algo_expid=1c19eda8-3fe0-4ab3-aa8c-115f46b31a66-35&algo_pvid=1c19eda8-3fe0-4ab3-aa8c-115f46b31a66

Offline Decapitator

• Contributor
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2017, 12:51:56 am »
huge clues:  Seller has 0 feedback. Seller is brand new May 5th.  Price is unbelievable.  Pictures are lifted from different aliexpress ads.

The pictures are the same factory stock pictures everyone uses. No watermarks. Some of the aliexpress pictures are watermarked.

I don't see any legitimate basis to report this vendor.

Anyone here live close to Virginia? Shipping to my location is estimated at 8 days or less but I don't really need a 15B.

BTW I've received generic positive feedback from both "wtf999good-sellers" and "luolanjun33229".

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2017, 12:52:42 am »
I recently ordered some item from ebay coming from China, I hope I didn't get scammed: )

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2017, 01:31:22 am »
Here's another version of the above, supposedly shipping from Sherman Oaks, California. Account created today.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/heidnguye-1

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2017, 02:01:08 am »
Some of you guys seem to never learn.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: wraper, Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2017, 04:53:05 am »
I thought I was doing this community a favour by pointing the scam, but some people have to learn first hand, but "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." Mark Twain.

Anyway, this will likely be my last comment in this thread.  Getting  :popcorn:

PS. I will ask moderators to close or lock this thread if it gets out of control.

PPS. According to a chinese newpaper, the average annual salary in major Chinese cities is $900 USD or $75 month or roughly $3.75 a day as reported on Jan 1, 2016.  Scamming $10 USD per person is more than a honest days work.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 10:13:44 pm by retiredcaps »

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2017, 05:00:13 am »
  Scamming $10 USD per person is more than a honest days work.

I'm not sure "honest" is the right term - but I get your intent. ;)

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2017, 05:06:44 am »
oh, we learn, but some of us are old and we forget shortly after we learn...

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2017, 10:38:47 am »
Ebay / Paypal    should keep the payment for at leat 2 months (i know its too much to ask)  or waiting for the feedback left  to release the payment to the seller ...

I've bought from Aliexpress recently, took over 90 days to receive some 8$ things, for a 40$ bill,  paid 2$ more in the shipping to accelerate the shipment, No use, changed nothing  pffff

I think it was my last "cheap buy/bought" thing.

I did bought expensive things from Israel (1 week EMS) and from Ali (3 days by DHL)  worked perfectly

The following users thanked this post: killawhat

Offline medical-nerd

• Regular Contributor
  • What's that coming over the hill?
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2017, 09:38:18 pm »
Hiya

I received on of these:

recently on a purchase which I had already immediately paid for from a reputable UK seller, I had already brought items from this seller before.
This was the first time I had encountered this and after a brief panic thinking that I had paid on a hijacked account or webpage and checking repeatedly my paypal account the item arrived just as described.

Unfortunately I couldn't leave positive feedback.

Not everything is a scam.

Cheers
'better to burn out than fade away'

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2017, 11:42:00 pm »
It is a boilerplate response.  I got the same one about the ring light.   Watch your messages.   On the day after the last day it is listed to have been delivered, a message will ask you if you want a refund.  There is something else you have to respond to in between, but I don't remember what it was.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2017, 01:17:30 am »
I thought I was doing this community a favour by pointing the scam, but some people have to learn first hand, but "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." Mark Twain.

Anyway, this will likely be my last comment in this thread.  Getting  :popcorn:

PS. I will ask moderators to close or lock this thread if it gets out of control.

PPS. According to a chinese newpaper, the average annual salary in major Chinese cities is $900 USD or $75 month or roughly $3.75 a day as reported on Jan 1, 2016.  Scamming $10 USD per person is more than a honest days work.

PLEASE keep up the scam alerts, it is doing the community a favor and a welcome service!   :-+

I don't want to get caught out again buying 10 Fluke 87Vs for $100 AU total   :-X

...plus shipping which should have been free for such a bulk purchase     ;D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 01:20:09 am by Electro Detective »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2017, 09:19:42 pm »
I've run into a bunch of fraudulent test equipment listings during the past week or so. They must be fruitful for the scammers.

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2017, 12:22:07 pm »
If it's too good to be true, it usually is  :-DD

The tracking number of the Fluke 15B+ I ordered from wtc999good-sellers has simply been shipped to some random pickup locker in Finland http://www.posti.fi/private/tracking/#/lahetys/RF707865306CN?lang=en

And the seller quickly showed "This user is no longer registered on eBay." after the sale.

Got an immediate refund though, so no problem for me.

Offline killawhat

« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2017, 09:56:28 am »
Thought I'd chime in with my 2c worth. Seems Ebay fraudsters really go wild over the xmas period. I bought a whole heap of electronics components and general stuff I probably didn't need over the holidays while I was off. I reckon 50% of what was order either a) never arrived after 2 months, b) was missing items c) sent the wrong item d) sent faulty items. So I spent a couple of days sorting it out with refunds from ebay. I wasn't really out of pocket, except for the time spent sorting out and getting refunds. I had a whiteboard full of sellers I was owed money from, items being resent, dates contacted etc.

My 10 Commandments for Ebay are:
1) Obviously check the sellers feedback and don't get sucked in by their "Oh we're sorry for the inconvenience bullshit" - give 'em negative feedback if they're dodgey. It helps others when purchasing to avoid them like the plague.
2) Keep a list of sellers who actually send stuff and use them again! At least you know you'll get it. I also keep sellers that send good from overseas quickly (I've received stuff in 2 weeks)
3) Keep a list of dodgey sellers and report bad sellers. I don't mean the "It didn't arrive in 2 days, so I'll report them" or "I paid $1 and the quality was shit" :rant:. Overseas takes between 2-4 weeks normally and sometimes 5-6 weeks. Some sellers will give a delivery date at around 2months - watch these and definitely file a complaint before the 2 months & NEGATIVE FEEDBACK.
4) MAKE SURE YOU LODGE A RETURN BEFORE 60 DAYS are up, and give negative feedback if you have issues as you only have 60 days for feedback before you can't. But you can do returns I think up to 3 months?? I generally give the seller the benefit of the doubt and give them a chance first by messaging them with the issue.. If after 48 hours I don't get a reply or they're just stuffing around, open a return request. That'll get em off their arse generally. Most sellers will want to make it right because they don't want negative feedback.
5) Chinese Ebay sellers will invariably try the we'll give 1/2 back - stuff 'em - ask for a full refund if it doesn't arrive, is faulty or isn't what you ordered. Ebay will generally back you up :box: with a refund.
6) Mistakes happen and sometimes you'll receive stuff that you didn't order, but could be handy on other projects. Ask for a full refund or you''ll send it back. It costs more for them, but you can end up with cheaper goods (you may not need it now but may come in handy), even if you pay half. Keep a mental note if you've used the seller before and you keep getting the wrong goods.
7) Don't necessarily buy from the cheapest! I'd pay a little more if it's a buyer I've bought from before. You sometimes get discounts if you buy quantities of items.
8) Sometimes you get faulty gear. Assess it, if it can be fixed - they don't need to know that. Still ask for a full refund! Serves them right for sending faulty stuff.
9) You may notice that several Ebay account names go to the same email on Paypal. Keep a note of these, because sometimes you'll notice a pattern with goods not being received, takes way too long, or are always faulty from one email account.
10) MAKE SURE YOU READ THE LISTING CAREFULLY. It wouldn't be the first time I missed something that it didn't have screws, had wrong code to description, was a components kit not a module etc.

I'll give you a heads up too from one of the Paypal accounts I've personally had issues with - It comes up with HONG KONG YEE CHEN, there's several ebay user accounts that are linked to it (I've bought from 5 of them). Generally, they don't sent items. If they do, they're either really crappy and don't work or it's the wrong item. I think when they don't turn up, they're probably out of stock - but they don't tell you this. Just the general reply of "Sorry, it might be in post. We do better next time. Don't leave negative feedback  :blah:" spiel. Some items did turn up - after 4 months :wtf: Ebay had already refunded the money and rightly so.

Hope this helps

Pete
Why buy it when you can build it?

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2017, 10:33:59 am »

Just bought one (or something/nothing) myself.

My Fluke 107 (or whatever it was) ended up delivered to Allen Texas. About 1700 miles from me as the crow flies.  :-DD
Jay

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2017, 03:28:30 pm »
Interesting. So, the shippers get some postage revenue out of the shenanigans.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2017, 04:09:16 pm »
Interesting. So, the shippers get some postage revenue out of the shenanigans.

In most cases no, since they offered free shipping with the sale. The main thing they get by handing out tracking numbers, even if they're from other unrelated shipments, is the appearance that the product was shipped, which keeps complaints to ebay at bay while they move any revenue out of reach...paypal accts, official bank accounts, whatever.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2017, 04:29:29 pm »
Offering free shipping is a function of the seller, rather than the shipper (China Post, USPS, etc.; someone still pays for the postage). However, as you said, the tracking numbers are likely from other unrelated shipments in which case there isn't any new postage revenue.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2017, 06:04:39 pm »
It occurred to me that it was a tracking scam and they'd sent something dirt cheap to everyone (empty jiffy bag)  or had just sent one tracking number to everyone and there were x number of buyers all tracking the same parcel?

I guess if you sold enough scam meters you could even afford to send a genuine one to one buyer

Offline whitevamp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2017, 06:34:06 pm »
the FLUKE 15B+  i ordered was delivered to BROOKLYN, NY about 2500 mils away, from me.  :-DD
the FLUKE 101 i ordered was delivered to CAMP PENDLETON about 1000 miles away, a bit closer but still no cigar  :-DD

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2017, 07:06:42 pm »
I assume ebay is smart enough to alert themselves if the same tracking number is used on multiple sales to different customer addresses. Which suggests the tracking numbers are duplicates from a non-ebay source, such as an Aliexpress store.

Offline whitevamp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2017, 08:39:23 pm »
this one is kinda fishie wtc999good-sellers is listed as having one follower 32kz354 and you click on that user 32kz354 and they have one follower wtc999good-sellers.
same person.... well maby.
would be funny if they are one in the same.  :-DD

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2017, 10:48:47 pm »
Yes, much fishiness to be found in the sea that is eBay. (Ha!)

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2017, 12:46:30 am »
Yes, much fishiness to be found in the sea that is eBay. (Ha!)

more like an ocean full of diarrhea...   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf