Author Topic: SCAM WARNING wtc999good-sellers selling Uni-T meters cheap on eaby  (Read 26462 times)

Offline retiredcapsTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: SCAM WARNING wtc999good-sellers selling Uni-T meters cheap on eaby
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2017, 06:04:06 pm »
It's really sad that this is the world we live in...seems everyday there is a new scam... :(
There has always been scams even before the Internet age.  It is just that sharing this information is much easier now.  There has always been and always will be scams in the future.

Offline gazereths

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2017, 07:55:32 pm »
I've been hosed a few times lately, ebays global shipping program wouldn't refund me for a list mobo and got scammed with 3 AMD CPUS, I'm really reluctant to buy and sell on eBay nowadays  :-//

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 12:10:41 am »
I've had eBay cases decided in my favor as a seller, but you really have to have all the facts straight, a clear history of messages for them to read through, and anything else that supports your case. The only times I've had issues with buyers was when selling consumer-grade electronics. Test equipment has been hassle-free, so far, but I'm not dealing in large volume, either. I wouldn't want to have to deal with selling on eBay on a regular basis.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 12:40:50 am »
Even if I didn't get the money back, no serious harm would have been done to me financially

That's why these scams work: you think it's hardly worth the hassle of however little it cost you, but multiply that by the number of people scammed and you can be talking real money. The only way to stop this kind of thing is to not make it worth THEIR time and expense. What it costs you is irrelevant.

Offline JonnyM

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2017, 06:15:27 am »
His items just disappeared from ebay

Offline Decapitator

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2017, 06:29:06 am »
I ordered 2 of the 30v 10a power supplies before seeing this thread. I was unable to "purchase" any more items due to a 10 day limit placed by the seller. Later the item was sold out at 179 pieces. A few hours later it was available once again with 205 pieces eventually sold. Currently all 380+ items offered by wtf999... are ended (by the seller) and no longer available.

Ebay status is currently "This item has been shipped." No tracking number has been provided yet. I don't always get one so that isn't a concern.

New sellers who are trying to quickly build positive feedback often are sometimes willing to take huge losses initially. In the past, I've bought some items for a penny (and many others for less than a quarter) along with free shipping (and tracking). To see it on this scale is indeed highly unusual.

Here's another one if anyone else is feeling adventuresome.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10A-30V-DC-Power-Supply-Adjustable-Dual-Digital-Variable-Precision-Lab-Grade-/192187753237

I'm in for 2 @ $7.99 cdn ($5.82 US) each with free shipping.

We'll see how it goes.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 06:34:53 am by Decapitator »

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2017, 06:38:23 am »
All items disappeared from the original seller, the new seller will also likely be a scam as well.

(some weird things happening on eBay, quite a few stores have 0 items for sale, including reputable ones based in the UK that I've used often)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 06:41:21 am by CJay »

Offline whitevamp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2017, 07:44:49 am »
I ordered 2 of the 30v 10a power supplies before seeing this thread. I was unable to "purchase" any more items due to a 10 day limit placed by the seller. Later the item was sold out at 179 pieces. A few hours later it was available once again with 205 pieces eventually sold. Currently all 380+ items offered by wtf999... are ended (by the seller) and no longer available.

Ebay status is currently "This item has been shipped." No tracking number has been provided yet. I don't always get one so that isn't a concern.

New sellers who are trying to quickly build positive feedback often are sometimes willing to take huge losses initially. In the past, I've bought some items for a penny (and many others for less than a quarter) along with free shipping (and tracking). To see it on this scale is indeed highly unusual.

Here's another one if anyone else is feeling adventuresome.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10A-30V-DC-Power-Supply-Adjustable-Dual-Digital-Variable-Precision-Lab-Grade-/192187753237

I'm in for 2 @ $7.99 cdn ($5.82 US) each with free shipping.

We'll see how it goes.
lol i made an offered for 2c 1.49us and the seller declined it and canceled the listing.  :-DD

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2017, 10:21:20 am »
wtc999good-sellers   no more items ???
candacejane7793      no more items  loll ???

Offline JonnyM

• Contributor

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2017, 11:48:07 am »
Another $10 power supply?, this seller seems to have great feedback

http://m.ebay.com/itm/New-30V-10A-Precision-Variable-Adjustable-Digital-Regulated-DC-Power-Supply-47EO-/322518580225?nav=SEARCH

Same $9.99 Fluke 15+ with the pic culled from Instrument Queen as well

Offline Decapitator

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2017, 12:08:58 pm »
wtc999good-sellers   no more items ???
candacejane7793      no more items  loll ???

I've put my money where my mouth is, so for now it's just wait and see.

In the case of "wtc999", the fact that there was a 10 day restriction placed on the number of items purchased at loss leader pricing, and the abrupt ending of all listings by the seller at the same time, (perhaps once a quota was met) leads me to believe that their plan was to quickly develop a strong positive  feedback reputation in a minimum amount of time. If that is the case, I'd expect the seller to return in a month or so with pricing in the normal range.

In the case of "candace", in checking the completed listings, I can see the seller has offered 3 separate groups of the same item within the past few days, with 5 pieces in each group. Each sold out quickly. I caught the beginning of the third, which was still open at the time I posted the link. Hopefully a few other forum members had enough time to respond. It wouldn't surprise me if additional batches are offered in the next few days.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Offline Decapitator

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2017, 12:47:12 pm »

...and a Asian market Fluke 107 for $9.99?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluke107-KCH12-SOFT-CASE-Palm-sized-portable-handheld-Digital-Multimeter-F107-/322518578109

What could possibly go wrong? I'm in at the limit (only one per 10 days).

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2017, 01:05:16 pm »
famous last words... what could possibly go wrong...
LOL

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2017, 05:59:26 pm »

...and a Asian market Fluke 107 for $9.99?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluke107-KCH12-SOFT-CASE-Palm-sized-portable-handheld-Digital-Multimeter-F107-/322518578109

What could possibly go wrong? I'm in at the limit (only one per 10 days).

Just bought one (or something/nothing) myself.
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2017, 06:13:02 pm »
This is how the scam operates.  A seller opens a new account on Ebay and Paypal account linked to a new bank account secured with fake documents. Then one or more items are offered at a very lowball price.  When several people purchase the item(s) the seller never sends it, ignores all messages, and within two weeks, several hundred dollars are deposited into their Papal account, which is swept to the bank account.  The money from the bank account is withdrawn via ATM, and the seller walks away from Ebay, Paypal, and the bank several hundred dollars richer.
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2017, 06:19:33 pm »
This is how the scam operates.  A seller opens a new account on Ebay and Paypal account linked to a new bank account secured with fake documents. Then one or more items are offered at a very lowball price.  When several people purchase the item(s) the seller never sends it, ignores all messages, and within two weeks, several hundred dollars are deposited into their Papal account, which is swept to the bank account.  The money from the bank account is withdrawn via ATM, and the seller walks away from Ebay, Paypal, and the bank several hundred dollars richer.
I paid through PayPal, so if it doesn't arrive, it's not going to be me being scammed.  :popcorn:
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2017, 06:25:19 pm »
Nope,  you will get your money back thanks to the guarantees.  It is paypal and Ebay that gets hit in the end.
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2017, 06:47:40 pm »

Doesn't PayPal put a hold on a new seller's funds?

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2017, 08:00:16 pm »

I'm not sure if PayPal holds funds for non-US sellers. They definitely do for US ones.

I paid through PayPal, so if it doesn't arrive, it's not going to be me being scammed.  :popcorn:

You won't be scammed directly. However, the increased cost to eBay and PayPal trickles down to higher fees to sellers, which then trickle down to higher costs to buyers. The only ones who win are the scammers, if they get away clean.

Offline retiredcapsTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2017, 08:04:00 pm »
You won't be scammed directly. However, the increased cost to eBay and PayPal trickles down to higher fees to sellers, which then trickle down to higher costs to buyers. The only ones who win are the scammers, if they get away clean.
+1 above.  Ebay/Paypal will simply increase costs to buyers and sellers through increased fees to cover fraud, cheaters, lost parcels in mail, etc.  They won't absorb the cost, but simply pass it on to us, the consumers.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2017, 08:06:18 pm »

I'm not sure if PayPal holds funds for non-US sellers. They definitely do for US ones.

That's what I was thinking, ebay will pass the "savings" to us true higher fees...   :D

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2017, 08:09:47 pm »
If you think about it, knowingly purchasing these items is enabling the crime. Thus, doing so is effectively acting as an accessory to fraud. Will anything happen to you as a result? Unlikely. However, the situation is something to contemplate.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2017, 08:13:36 pm »
Instead of buying, click the "Report Item" link above the description on the right side. Then, select the following:

Report category: Listing practices
Reason for report: Fraudulent listing practices
Detailed reason: You suspect the listing is fraudulent

Click the Submit Report button. If it gives an error about the item number being missing, just click the button again and it'll complete.

That's all. No need to write anything. Just a few clicks.

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2017, 08:14:32 pm »
If you think about it, knowingly purchasing these items is enabling the crime. Thus, doing so is effectively acting as an accessory to fraud. Will anything happen to you as a result? Unlikely. However, the situation is something to contemplate.
It's unfair to make that assumption.
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf