Author Topic: USA Source for Brymen Meters?  (Read 36561 times)

Offline SmokeyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
USA Source for Brymen Meters?
« on: October 07, 2012, 03:45:44 am »
What is the best way for someone in the USA to get a hold of a Brymen multimeter? 
I'm assuming they have an agreement with the companies that re-brand them so they won't sell direct, and there doesn't appear to be any consistent sources on ebay.  While I generally speaking really like Extech gear, it would be nice not to have to pay the Extech tax on this one.
Thoughts?

Offline kodai

• Contributor
Re: USA Source for Brymen Meters?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 08:33:26 am »
The Brymen meters are sold under the Greenlee name in the U.S. and can cost a pretty penny here.  The upper end of the Greenlee meters dont show up on ebay that often and when the do, they tend to be NIB and are close to full retail.  Their price vs their 50,000-500,000 counts tends not to be worth it.  Just my two cents.

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 10:03:12 am »
Ya I saw the Greenlee, Amprobe and Extech re-badges from the other thread.  What I'm interested in is getting a genuine Brymen branded one since they seem to be at least 1/2 the price of the name brands.  If I wanted to pay Fluke prices I'd buy a Fluke, but if I could get that same meter for 1/2 the price it would be pretty attractive. 

I know about http://www.tme.eu but their prices seem high, as well and the shipping is probably a killer. 

If there are no other sources, who wants to bring a box full back from Taiwan and sell them in the states?

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 05:45:21 pm »
Thanks.  Ya I saw the ebay link thread.  I was hoping to get a TBM867, but I guess I don't really need the dual screen. 

I did end up getting one of those BM857 from ebay.  I also got a DMMCheck reference standard so I'll be able to check this and my other 20 year old test equipment soon.  I figured if I keep getting old test equipment from ebay I should probably have a means of at least basically seeing how much out of cal it is.

Offline kodai

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 04:45:00 am »
Well, we dont know much about the Brymen company.  Are Brymen rebadged Greenlee or is it the other way arround?  Nobody has really given any viable info on it.  But its a given (the way the market works) that unless somebody does just buy a box of them and bring them back to sell, you will not be able to find a Brymen branded meter here in the U.S. since Greenlee has the rights to sell those meters here.  Some places have them at a very reduced cost because they are under protected economies (ie devloping nations) and more often than not, the cheaper price they pay for the meter is subsidised with the higher cost that other countries have to pay. 

In short, there really is no source for Brymen badged meters in the U.S. and if you manage to find any then they will tend to command a price that will be close to their Greenlee counterparts.  I really thought about buying one of those 857's on ebay just to see how well made they really are, but I've got my electronics budget set aside this month to order me up a new JBC CD-1BB.  I already have 14 DMM's (a half dozen are fluke's) so I really couldnt justify $100 (with shipping) for the fun of playing with yet another new meter just becuase its a half million counts.  Since you bought one, give us a review on it.  Besides, that guy didnt sell all of them so maybe he will list the relist the last couple of meters next month and I'll have another chance to grab a new toy if your review shows its worth it.

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 09:12:09 am »
I know about http://www.tme.eu but their prices seem high, as well and the shipping is probably a killer. 
You could try setting up an account at TME. Then you can see what the shipping will be.

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 09:15:29 am »
I really couldnt justify $100 (with shipping) for the fun of playing with yet another new meter just becuase its a half million counts.
You wouldn't get an 869 for so little, even without shipping.

Offline kodai

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 09:37:45 am »
I was talking about the 857 on sale on ebay. The seller had 3 new 857's for sale for $89.99 (plus shipping). The OP said he bought one of them.  The sale ended the other day with 2 of the 3 unsold.  Iwas asking the OP if he would review the DMM when he got it in to see if the $89.99 price is worth it.  My main concern is build quality.  I know the 857's case well as its been in service as a generic DMM case for more than a decade. That tells me the unit maybe a farmed out design that cut some corners.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 11:25:53 pm »
What about suppliers in the UK or Europe? The 0.02% + 500,000 count for the BM869 is appealing.

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 06:33:11 am »
I think the tme price for the 857 was around 175USD in the cart.  Not sure if the included shipping.  There are other threads where people did teardowns of both the  857, 867, and 869.  The construction isn't quite fluke quality, but its not terrible.  I'm not sure if I've seen the insides of the extech rebadge but I would assume its near exactly the same.   There is a thread where the extech rep confirmed that brymen was the oem, and yet another thread where someone got in contact with brymen and he said they were really helpful.  Sorry I'm on my phone now so I can't find links.
I got my DMMcheck reference today so ill be able to test at least the 5V, 1mA, and some resistances.

On a side note the keithly 175 I got off ebay was surprisingly close when I checked it against the reference.  I still need to calculate all the percentages but it looks like its still pretty close to spec for those measurements.  Ill see how the brymen does against it when it comes in.  For a real comparison with something certified you will have to wait till the calibration party happens :)

Offline crispus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 09:53:46 pm »
What about suppliers in the UK or Europe? The 0.02% + 500,000 count for the BM869 is appealing.

http://www.tme.eu/en/details/bm869/portable-digital-multimeters/brymen/# and it is ~240USD without VAT or shipping.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 09:56:15 pm by crispus »
I know I'm numskull, but I look around me and I feel better.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 04:56:00 am »
I have been trying to buy from TME, but they refuse to answer me when I ask how to pay by credit card. I finally realized that they do not appear to accept credit cards, only bank transfers. I am not willing to send someone cash before shipping.

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 07:36:17 am »
I have been trying to buy from TME, but they refuse to answer me when I ask how to pay by credit card. I finally realized that they do not appear to accept credit cards, only bank transfers. I am not willing to send someone cash before shipping.
I have bought from them twice using PayPal.

Offline crispus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 04:10:14 pm »
I bought a couple of times from them and always paid for on delivery (from EU). I don't know how is it outside of EU...
I know I'm numskull, but I look around me and I feel better.

Offline LEECH666

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 01:10:20 am »
Wow, that meter has gone up in price a lot. Last time when I checked the price on TME it was around 105€. Yup, guess I took a look at the 867 back then and not the 869.

There is this South African dude called Martin Lorton who did a few videos on the Brymen 869 Brymen 867, but you probably know these videos already.

If not here is short look inside it's guts. ;)

Cheers,
Florian
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 10:38:17 am by LEECH666 »

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 09:30:53 am »
Looks like a few people got them for as cheap as $30  :-+ back in 2008 although we have no idea what the shipping prices were.

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 09:31:45 am »
They must have got these meters from a surplus sale or something as Brymen doesn't have this particular model in their current lineup anymore. In any case, users in the US, GO GRAB ONE!!!
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

Offline tino_so

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 08:32:04 pm »
March 2016 update. Just a quick follow up, I did a search for both Greenlee and Brymen on major US/Canadian providers, such as Active123.com, Digikey.ca, GapWireless, Newark Element 14, etc. to no avail. Too bad Brymen has not found a decent distribution channel in North America yet.  :-//

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 08:42:39 pm »
It is more than likely that Brymen has an agreement with Greenlee to not sell the Brymen brand in the US in competition to Greenlee. In that light, there will never be a Brymen distributor in the US as long as they have other manufacturers re-branding and selling their meters.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 10:06:31 pm »
March 2016 update. Just a quick follow up, I did a search for both Greenlee and Brymen on major US/Canadian providers, such as Active123.com, Digikey.ca, GapWireless, Newark Element 14, etc. to no avail.
If you really want a Greenlee meter, try ebay.com.  The majority of Greenlee sellers will be USA based so be prepared to pay customs, duties, brokerage fees keeping in mind the 70 cent loonie.  You will find new in box (NIB) and used ones.

In addition, read the terms and conditions of the Greenlee warranty wrt to ebay sellers.  That is, does warranty apply to non authorized sellers and how long does the warranty apply (how many years)?

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 10:16:19 pm »
If you're looking for the BM257s, just grab the Greenlee DM-510A from Sears. The lowest historical prices are even lower than Franky's, and that's with Greenlee's warranty support included. If you buy at the right time, you might even get an LCD HDTV thrown in for free!

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2016, 10:28:29 pm »
Just remembered that I saw Greenlee meters on amazon.ca.

For example,

http://www.amazon.ca/Greenlee-DM-510A-Professional-Digital-Multimeter/dp/B003TO5YU0/

Beware that on Amazon, the product may not be sourced from Amazon, but some 3rd party seller.  Same questions that I had in the previous post apply to Amazon as well.

Offline tino_so

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 01:49:10 am »
It is more than likely that Brymen has an agreement with Greenlee to not sell the Brymen brand in the US in competition to Greenlee. In that light, there will never be a Brymen distributor in the US as long as they have other manufacturers re-branding and selling their meters.

That is a good point. I guess my hope is that one day, Brymen breaks that cycle and it could have a more prominent place in the handheld dmm market than it current has. Perhaps the Eevblog badged model will give it a nudge in that direction  :-DMM

Offline tino_so

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 02:54:21 pm »
I have taken a look at Amazon.ca and it indeed has some selection there. Also at Sears in the US, also plenty of selection. I do cross the border to the US to visit relatives from time to time, so ordering from a US reseller would be one option, although nothing beats the convenience of getting stuff delivered to your home and if one has to use the warranty, to deal with a local reseller.

This conversation got me thinking that I should widen my search and so I also checked Lowes, Home Depot and other hardware stores that have websites on both sides of the border and found for example the Greenlee DM-200A at Lowes.ca, (which is similar to the Brymen 251 perhaps?) at a price of CA$114, which is around US$84 at current exchange rates, not too bad.

I also saw some Southwire DMMs on the Lowes.com site, they look like Extech, is that the case?  I am just starting to realize this is such a common practice for these companies to sell their product under a different company name, similar to Siglent and others in the oscilloscope market.

Thank you all for your input.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf