Poll

Should new users be required to specify a country?

Yes, with the existing 'black flag' option for users who require maximum anonymity
43 (42.2%)
Yes, and disallow the 'black flag'
23 (22.5%)
No, leave everything as it is
16 (15.7%)
No, but encourage setting a country in the registration agreement
20 (19.6%)
None of the above; I have a better idea
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Author Topic: [POLL] Setting the country in new user profiles  (Read 12524 times)

Offline rolycatTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: [POLL] Setting the country in new user profiles
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 02:13:55 pm »
Being unable or uninterested in perceiving a question from the perspective of the person who is being asked it is a trait of morons.
In your opinion.

If this were solely a forum for engineers such as yourself, I would agree that a higher standard of awareness should be expected. However, Dave intended this to be a welcoming environment for enthusiasts as well as professionals, and enthusiasts may be young, unfamiliar with the forum, unobservant, or many other traits not necessarily synonymous with moronism.

If people don't think this is an international forum (excepting some Americans who don't know there are other countries) what country do you think they think it is local to? The one they happen to be sitting in? Are they really that dim?

They may not have thought about it very much at all, but that doesn't mean they are incapable of thinking, particularly if they are encouraged to do so by a reminder or a selection process when joining the forum.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 04:08:55 pm »
Rolycat, zapta, don't waste your time.  Getting him to see any view but his own is like trying to teach a pig to sing.  It frustrates you and annoys the pig.  I learned long ago that when people denigrate others, it's to cover up their own inadequacies.  If Rufus feels the need to call Americans dim and morons, let him.  We are all probably supremely indifferent as to what he thinks, I know I am.  I, for one, will ignore him going forward.  If everyone else did, maybe he will just go away.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 04:52:25 pm »
I learned long ago that when people denigrate others, it's to cover up their own inadequacies.  If Rufus feels the need to call Americans dim and morons, let him.

I took the mick out of Americans for being geographically challenged as demonstrated by your ex-president George W Bush asking a Welsh singer what state Wales is in (maybe that demonstrated how phenomenally dim he is - you can choose).

My dim and moron accusations were otherwise fully international.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 04:59:01 pm »
I took the mick out of Americans for being geographically challenged as demonstrated by your ex-president George W Bush asking a Welsh singer what state Wales is in (maybe that demonstrated how phenomenally dim he is - you can choose).

It just demonstrated that Charlotte Church made up a stupid story and was able to get it published.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 05:25:16 pm »

Last time I checked, an American company provides the most popular map in the world.

https://www.google.com/maps

(not trying to start a my-country-is-better competition, just providing Rufus with a humbling counter example).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf