Author Topic: "Dangerous" Kodi boxes - do I smell burning or bullshit ?  (Read 3991 times)

Offline abraxa

• Frequent Contributor
  • Sigrok associate
Re: "Dangerous" Kodi boxes - do I smell burning or bullshit ?
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 12:35:50 pm »
I'd think the real danger is downloading pirated material.  Might want to turn on you Kaspersky?  Oh wait, their excuse for the hacked NAS contractor box was malware it didn't catch?  :-DD

I really, really don't want to derail this thread but I just want to provide a little more insight on this. Please read https://wikileaks.org/vault8/releases/ - the important bit starts with "Digital certificates for the authentication of implants are generated by the CIA impersonating existing entities". Essentially, the CIA did malicious things in a way that Kaspersky got the blame instead of them. That's all I wanted to say.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2017, 02:58:41 pm »
Perhaps someone can clarify this but my impression as to the popularity of Kodi boxes (aside from being easy to use and attach to a TV like a set-top box) is that "streaming" illegal content is more legally "safe" than someone who is downloading it through Torrent or File-Sharing services.

A few years ago there was a ton of activity from various legal entities in the USA who participate in Torrent "hives" and also themselves put up "honeypots" to attract downloaders and thereby grab IP addresses of people they saw downloading their copyright material. This would eventually follow up with legal letters to their ISP's asking the users to cough up money for settlement, otherwise face conviction. In Canada, at least, these threats from US law firms never quite got anywhere and most people took them as a sign that they should either use a VPN to hide their IP or stop downloading altogether, so the movie and music industry got their point across. Not to mention the disappearance of a number of once popular Torrent sites.... vanishing in thin air.... Torrenting became less attractive due to the risks.

However, people's attraction to copyright content didn't wane... It just changed over to another method that had a bigger legal loophole. That is, "streaming" content from websites or other online sources (facilitated by tools such as Kodi) which never keep a local copy of the file. The legal pressure then supposedly shifts to the provider of the copyright material (the website) and not the user accessing it. Kodi essentially does the same thing, not allowing for people to technically keep the content they are watching (although I am sure there is software to let you side-copy the stream as you are watching it).

So if people from most countries outside the USA who were Torrenting stuff and getting letters from lawyers were not enforceable, then "Streaming" which is even less "serious" (if you can call it that) would be even less risky? I believe that is another reason for the popularity of streaming either with Kodi or just simply going to any number of websites and just loading the embedded video and watching it (even YouTube has full length free movies on their that somehow escape detection, not sure how)....

Ghost in the Shell on YouTube "FREE"...
I think I know how they get around copyright detection... The speed is slowed. Change playback speed to 1.25x and notice it sounds normal.

Ghost in the Shell on YouTube FOR PURCHASE:

Nevertheless I wouldn't trust any Kodi (or other) no-name media box. I've seen several friends have their "Android Boxes" stop working after a year simply because they can't update it, the firmware is impossible to find, the software gets updated and/or Kodi version is changed and channel doesn't support an older Kodi version... but some people will keep buying them every year or two because they are cheap and save them more not having to buy movies. But if it bursts in flames and burns down your house, you will wish you had bought those movies or relied on a more expensive system (like a dedicated Linux Media PC) rather than some cheap no-name box.... Or just watch it on YouTube where, as far as I know, there is no legal culpability at all for the user.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 03:07:38 pm by edy »
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline Mjolinor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2017, 03:21:46 pm »

It surprises me that Amazon have not done or been forced to do, anything about Kodi on the Fire TV box and dongle. They are by far the best available of the ones that you don't mess with and I am sure the sales would fall through the floor if they stopped Kodi working on it.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2017, 03:49:18 pm »
Funny thing is the legit set top boxes were never known for reliability either in the beginning. Amstrad ( I know, not exactly the best ever, but a British company that made the junk on shore in most cases), Sky and all the other set top boxes were not too reliable at all, with them generally failing after a year or so of purchase ( generally just out of warranty) and with the repairs being a simple case of replace a bag of capacitors, or in some of them the bag of capacitors and a few other parts. There were whole cottage industries that sprang up to do these repairs, and many also dabbled in the other kind of upgrades, that involved changes to access methods.

In the extreme case a sky box that would be free to use, and would ignore all upgrades and disconnect methods, and which did not need a smart card either, all the work being done by reprogramming the existing firmware on the on board processor ( mostly to get rid of poor original coding to get the space needed) to have the smart card functions on there as well.

Here the stock faults on the decoders were a few poorly specced capacitors, that would die with time, leading to poor decoding in the beginning ( long channel lock up times, and audio dropouts) and then lead to hum on vision after a while, then to a hum bar across the video and audio hum, along with no pass through. Change the 2 capacitors and all was well again, but most users would have gone and paid for a service exchange decoder instead. Then there was the 40 pin PIC micro in a small pcb with a long DIP socket, used to emulate a good data stream to the main decoder chip, plugged into the board with the chip plugged into a socket next to it.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2017, 05:04:13 pm »

It's also in the Independent and several others
It doesn't matter. Newspapers should verify and fact check news. Blindly copying a paid for report is not proper journalism. They should know better.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2017, 05:34:37 pm »
I think I know how they get around copyright detection... The speed is slowed. Change playback speed to 1.25x and notice it sounds normal.
It looks like it's heavily cropped on all sides as well. I would not watch such crappy quality even if I got paid for it.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2017, 05:45:14 pm »
Strangely coinciding with reports of threats against developers, Copyright group FACT commissioned tests that show that Kodi boxes can be dangerous"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/4913595/kodi-box-warning-after-bad-batch-that-could-put-brit-families-at-risk-discovered-on-black-market/
Total BS ofcourse and typical scaremongering from anti-piracy organisations.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2017, 05:47:12 pm »

It's also in the Independent and several others
It doesn't matter. Newspapers should verify and fact check news. Blindly copying a paid for report is not proper journalism. They should know better.
What is this, 20 century? I see "articles", which are just translated, telling me to shop in Best buy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf