Author Topic: Acceleration  (Read 4202 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline SimonTopic starter

  • Global Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 18895
  • Country: gb
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Acceleration
« on: July 07, 2016, 07:42:14 pm »
I'm doing my assignment for one of my HNC modules. I'm being asked to draw an acceleration diagram for something that has a uniform acceleration so yes something really boring like a slope. The module has not actually taught me how to work out the speed achieved. I am told that an object accelerates from 0 uniformly and travels a certain distance in a certain amount of time. So I can work out the average speed but I don't actually know the acceleration. I will hazard a guess that this lies in calculus. It would be nice to put an actual value on the top of my acceleration diagram showing that the object starts at 0 and ends at a certain speed. Would I be correct introducing because I'm struggling to find any formulas and explanations for this online that knowing the average speed of something that uniformly accelerates I can assume that the final speed is twice the average speed?
 

Online tautech

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 31975
  • Country: nz
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Acceleration
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 08:00:58 pm »
Don't ask me about the maths involved but IIRC from school, the mass of the accelerating object will be part of the calculation.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
 

Offline SimonTopic starter

  • Global Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 18895
  • Country: gb
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: Acceleration
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 08:02:32 pm »
no not in this, they just say that it moves from a standstill to 5m in 0.92s so I have the average speed, I'd assume the final speed is that x2 for linear acceleration.
 

Offline suicidaleggroll

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1453
  • Country: us
Re: Acceleration
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 08:10:13 pm »
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/acons.html

y = 1/2 a * t^2

You know y and t, you can calculate a, and then v=a*t

In this case, yes, final speed is 2x average speed.
 

Offline madires

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9197
  • Country: de
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: Acceleration
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 08:18:31 pm »
a = (v2 - v1) / (t2 - t1)
 

Offline SimonTopic starter

  • Global Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 18895
  • Country: gb
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: Acceleration
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 08:24:52 pm »
a = (v2 - v1) / (t2 - t1)

Yes i think I worked it out, according to the course notes  I calculate the average speed  , then I can calculate the acceleration and therefore the speed I'd get to at any given time.
 

Online IanB

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 13105
  • Country: us
Re: Acceleration
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 08:34:23 pm »
From my school physics lessons many eons ago...

For motion in a straight line with constant acceleration:

  v = u + at

  s = ut + ½at²

  s = ½(u + v)t

  v² = u² + 2as

where:

  u = initial velocity
  v = final velocity
  a = acceleration
  t = elapsed time
  s = distance travelled
 

Offline uncle_bob

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 2441
  • Country: us
Re: Acceleration
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 08:48:06 pm »
Hi

Simple way to look at it:

Velocity is in meters per second. You have an average speed of 10 meters a second.

Acceleration is in meters per second squared. You continuously increase your velocity by some amount every second. If you have an acceleration of 1 meter per second squared, at about 10 seconds, it gets you to 10 meters a second. 

Yes there is an *implied* step process in the stuff above. It's not really there. You do not instantly step the velocity at the end of each second....

Bob
 

Online IanB

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 13105
  • Country: us
Re: Acceleration
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 08:59:44 pm »
Acceleration is in meters per second squared. You continuously increase your velocity by some amount every second.

I find this much easier to grok if I say "acceleration is in meters per second, per second".
 

Offline Brumby

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 12606
  • Country: au
Re: Acceleration
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 08:19:56 am »
From my school physics lessons many eons ago...

For motion in a straight line with constant acceleration:

  v = u + at

  s = ut + ½at²

  s = ½(u + v)t

  v² = u² + 2as

where:

  u = initial velocity
  v = final velocity
  a = acceleration
  t = elapsed time
  s = distance travelled

Oh - there's a real throw-back!!

... and yes, I still remember them.   (But we were only presented with 3.   s = ½(u + v)t  wasn't one of them.)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 08:21:29 am by Brumby »
Why Clippy?  --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_Dtmpe9qaQ
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->