Author Topic: Aliexpress and debit cards  (Read 19855 times)

Offline DeathwishTopic starter

• Supporter
Aliexpress and debit cards
« on: July 17, 2015, 08:15:01 pm »
I have had an aliexpress account for some time but never used it, I have always been put off because of the thought that giving my debit card details to a lot of chinese sellers may lead to fraud. Has anyone any experience of this with Aliexpress or is it safe , no worse than paypal or such ?.
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline microbug

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
Re: Aliexpress and debit cards
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 08:15:32 pm »
I've used my debit card with Aliexpress many times. I've never experienced any fraud.

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 08:23:32 pm »
Thank you Microbug, I appreciate the reply
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 01:02:31 am »
If you're really concerned about it, some banks and credit card companies (in the US at least, don't know about other parts of the world) will issue you a one-time-use credit card number.  I've never used that option myself, but last I checked these could be requested online, and once they've been used they're gone and no longer linked to your account.  That said, I just placed my first Ali Express order, and elected to use a credit card rather than my debit, just in case, as I usually do with online orders.  At least if my credit card gets compromised it won't affect my ability to pay my rent.  We'll see what happens.

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 02:20:05 am »
On aliexpress, the Alibaba Group (company that runs aliexpress) act as an escrow service between the buyer and the seller, so the seller never gets your actual details, additionally, it means you can make multiple purchases and only have one credit card transaction, this is of benefit to those who get charged fees per transaction

Offline tech5940

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 02:43:26 am »
I believe Peter is correct, Aliexpress uses a escrow service which I believe is called AliPay. I've ordered numerous items from various different sellers and it all shows up on my statement as "Aliexpress.com" in one transaction.

It's quite a nice setup they have, once you place an order a timer counts down for the seller to ship your item, if it's not shipped in the amount of time they specified it would take them to process the item then I think the transaction gets flagged (never had it actually happen so this is a guess) to ask you if you want to grant the seller more time to ship it or cancel for refund etc..  Once it's shipped another timer starts counting down, it's usually 30-60 days depending on shipping method. The way this works though is if the timer runs out and they haven't heard from you I'm pretty sure they mark the transaction as complete and the seller gets paid. So the catch is if you haven't received your item open a dispute BEFORE the timer runs out. I had it happen once were the package didn't arrive and there was only 1 day left. I opened a dispute, the seller responded and asked if they could extend the timer another 10 days before issuing a refund. I agreed and sure enough a day or two later the package arrived.

One other suggestion is to test the item you received BEFORE marking the item as received (or the delivery timer runs out). I'm pretty sure once you mark that you have received it the seller gets paid, and it's likely going to be more difficult to get anything out of the seller...

Overall I've had great success with Aliexpress, however keep in mind you do get what you pay for...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 03:32:09 am »
I have had an aliexpress account for some time but never used it, I have always been put off because of the thought that giving my debit card details to a lot of chinese sellers may lead to fraud. Has anyone any experience of this with Aliexpress or is it safe , no worse than paypal or such ?.

I don't think your chances of online fraud are necessarily a function of the nationality of the vendor. However, I sleep better by using a special card (debit in my case) not directly linked to my main card or bank accounts. Linked only by the occasional bank to bank funds transfer to top it up. It is linked to my PP account too.

If I am ever the victim of fraud then the risk is contained and limited.
Many banks will issue cards specifically with this kind of thing in mind. They have very tight credit and per transaction limits, so the risk can be tailored to your needs.

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 03:32:20 am »
Tech5940 , thank you and noted

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 03:47:30 am »
Orders made, just wait to see now.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 05:09:29 am »
To the customer a debit card use is basically a cash transaction, no recourse available. Credit cards the bank takes the risk and spreads it over all customers in the service fee. Best is to use a limited life debit card ( subsidary card on your account with limited funds to do the transaction that you can close without hassle) or use a one time credit card, which is basically a credit card with a limited max value and a one month validity. The one time credit card is not really one time, just remainder of the month.

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 05:15:51 am »
I used to have a pre pay credit card, pita it was with all the fees on top

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 05:38:52 am »
I believe Peter is correct, Aliexpress uses a escrow service which I believe is called AliPay. I've ordered numerous items from various different sellers and it all shows up on my statement as "Aliexpress.com" in one transaction.

It's quite a nice setup they have, once you place an order a timer counts down for the seller to ship your item, if it's not shipped in the amount of time they specified it would take them to process the item then I think the transaction gets flagged (never had it actually happen so this is a guess) to ask you if you want to grant the seller more time to ship it or cancel for refund etc..  Once it's shipped another timer starts counting down, it's usually 30-60 days depending on shipping method. The way this works though is if the timer runs out and they haven't heard from you I'm pretty sure they mark the transaction as complete and the seller gets paid. So the catch is if you haven't received your item open a dispute BEFORE the timer runs out. I had it happen once were the package didn't arrive and there was only 1 day left. I opened a dispute, the seller responded and asked if they could extend the timer another 10 days before issuing a refund. I agreed and sure enough a day or two later the package arrived.

One other suggestion is to test the item you received BEFORE marking the item as received (or the delivery timer runs out). I'm pretty sure once you mark that you have received it the seller gets paid, and it's likely going to be more difficult to get anything out of the seller...

Overall I've had great success with Aliexpress, however keep in mind you do get what you pay for...

Good descripton.  :-+

I do like Aliexpress and Alipay as they don't keep your card details, sure it's a bit of a PITA to re-enter details each time but safer than Paypal IME.

The moment you've received goods and checked them for functionality and "as described" you must "confirm receipt" before the seller can be paid.
That puts onus on them to supply goods described accurately and fit for purpose.

Better still, you'll have the sellers email and they're usually very happy to trade privately but normally with Paypal.  :-DD
Trick is to find one you can converse with, many aren't too good at English, let alone Welsh.  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 06:09:43 am »
you can converse with, many aren't too good at English, let alone Welsh.  :-DD

Thank god , I cant speak welsh myself. I AM ENGLISH living in wales.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 06:45:24 am »
I've use my credit card on aliexpress for around 40 transactions and never had any issues.  As others have said, your credit card is only accessed by aliexpress, not the sellers.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline wagon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 02:01:04 pm »
I've bought a bit of stuff on aliexpress.  I've had nothing but good results, and the one occasion when the product was an issue I got a full refund of the purchase price and shipping.

Better than ebay, IMO.
Hiding from the missus, she doesn't understand.

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2015, 04:46:44 pm »
Well it certainly makes UK shops look dull and over priced. I have to be very careful on there, I could bankrupt myself very easily  :scared:

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2015, 07:24:04 pm »
Certain credit cards companies such as Citi allow to generate amount limited, one time , one vendor credit card numbers. This is the only way I shop online, including at aliexpress.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2015, 07:30:23 am »
Watch out if your credit card is not the same currency as what you are buying.

I bought an item for $1200 - and turned out seller could not sell it (happens quite often on Ali)

My currency was AED - so I was charged exchange fees of around $20.

I then had to dispute the sale as seller could not deliver. That took 3 weeks. Then AliExpress sent my money back. But not as a credit card refund - but as a transfer to my credit card account. That then cost me another transfer fee of $20 and exchange fee of $35...

So all in all a $75 loss on a trade that never happened. AliExpress could just have pressed the REFUND button and it would not have cost me a thing. But their system did not "support" credit card refunds at that time. I don't know if they do or support credit card refunds now.

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2015, 07:39:49 am »
It would be the last deal I ever did with them if it happened.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2015, 01:29:48 pm »
It would be the last deal I ever did with them if it happened.

Have not dealt with them since.....

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 11:08:56 am »
My first order of LED's came today. No problems and happy. Hopefully the other items will be as good and fast getting here and my worries will be unfounded.

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 06:09:34 pm »
I would strongly discourage using your debit card online. The reason is simple: if fraud takes place, the money is gone from your account instantly and you need to fight to get it back. With a credit card, your money isn't gone instantly. You would see the fraudulent transactions on the bill and call the CC company to dispute them. You won't need to pay that part of the bill.

If you don't have a credit card for whatever reason, then buy a prepaid one and use that. The risk is far, far less that way.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 08:27:29 pm »
I would strongly discourage using your debit card online. The reason is simple: if fraud takes place, the money is gone from your account instantly and you need to fight to get it back. With a credit card, your money isn't gone instantly. You would see the fraudulent transactions on the bill and call the CC company to dispute them. You won't need to pay that part of the bill.

If you don't have a credit card for whatever reason, then buy a prepaid one and use that. The risk is far, far less that way.
Anybody had problems with Alipay?

IMHO it's far more secure than Paypal and a better process where the supplier doesn't get paid until YOU authorise it.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 08:37:31 pm »
When I have doubts about a supplier I use a cash card (check out ClearCash, Bread, Neteller, etc). Basically it's a card without credit facilities and not tied to a bank account, so whatever you load it with is what's on it, nothing else. Used often by parents to give kids pocket money, I understand.

So, you get one of those and when you want to pay someone you are unsure about, put on it whatever you need at that time and off you go. They can't take more than you have on the card, so your main money is safe.

Downside is that they cost to run: either you pay a percentage of every sale, or a fixed amount a month (you can usually choose to suit your likely usage). I think Neteller has no charges if you use it just for this kind of thing.

You can load 'em up via a bank transfer or by paying actual money at a corner shop or post office.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2015, 07:28:49 pm »
So, you get one of those and when you want to pay someone you are unsure about, put on it whatever you need at that time and off you go. They can't take more than you have on the card, so your main money is safe.
You can load 'em up via a bank transfer or by paying actual money at a corner shop or post office.

But they can take more once you reload it, right?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf