Author Topic: Bringing a product to market: Certification markings, not getting sued etc.  (Read 6905 times)

Offline TimNJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Hi all,

I've been working on a guitar amplifier design for a couple of months now. While I am still doing testing and verification right now, the end goal is a product that has several advantages over current offerings and at a lower price point. For now, the project is just for me, but I have been putting a lot of effort into making it a manufactureable and (theoretically) reliable design. If I can get people interested in the amp, I would like to try to sell them.

Now, I've never sold anything I've made before so one of my first questions before going any farther is: How do I protect myself if people do stupid things with my product? I've designed it to be as safe as possible, but that said, nothing is stopping a user from opening the thing up and grabbing the +400V rail.

Additionally, are things like UL/CSA/CE approvals necessary? I feel like most consumers don't buy a product based on whether or not it has a certification mark on the back. I'm not implying that is a bad thing to get your product checked out, but just wondering if it would be worth it (or necessary) for me, as a small scale "manufacturer".

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
CE is necessary to sell into the EU, it basically serves as a declaration that you comply with LVD, ROHS and EMC, and you or your distributor will need to put something in place for WEEE.

For the US  market you need to get the FCC stuff done (And make sure the paperwork is right), they have gone after small musical instrument gear companies in the past, and levy nasty fines (They took electro-harmonix for $450K) a few years back.

UL/ETL and such are an insurance industry thing, but some cities have mandated them in the US (LA IIRC being the biggie?), they mainly serve as a demonstration of good practise when something goes wrong, much better to be able to say to the jury, "The product was independently tested for safety by XXX and found to comply with the appropriate product standards" then having to say "Well we didn't think of that!".

Regards, Dan.

The following users thanked this post: TimNJ

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
If they are local, the EMC and safety labs usually will help with identifying the standards that apply and the appropriate tests. What they ask for and suggest is sometimes negotiable and open to discussion, depending on how unique your design is and how unfamiliar they are with it. For instance, noting that it's an amplifier without pointing out the 400V rail might lead them to a less stringent quotation than would happen if it was only 50V. They will find it in the review, and then all the sudden another standard and 20 more hours might be needed. A good Theory of Operation for the evaluating engineer will help with that.

The industrial projects I've seen go through EMC usually come in between $10,000 and $20,000. It depends on how complex they are, what connects to them, which global regions to cover, how many time you need to go back, etc. I don't do much with safety approvals but I suspect it's about the same. Perhaps with a simpler device it may be lower.

If in their consultations you get quotations, they will specify which standards and their revisions will be applied. Buy each one and study them. It isn't easy language to work with at times, and often one standard will draw on other standards. You may need to purchase those as well. They tend to cost in the $25 to $200 range, depending on length, obscurity, popularity, etc. Expect to get 2 or 3 for each of EMC and safety.

As for opening it up, security screws, safety labels, and warnings in the manual help with your side of the liability.

Here's a trap to watch out for: sometimes the solution for one makes the other worse. For instance, adding a capacitor to deal with EMC may cause a safety issue somewhere else. You can do EMC pre-testing of specific things without getting a report. I suspect that if your amplifier isn't loaded with a bunch of high speed digital circuitry, clocks, and radios then it's more of an immunity issue than an emissions issue. This suggests doing the safety tests first, then go to EMC. Any changes may require only limited retesting.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
I'm kind of curious about this myself.  Is there some blanket way to protect yourself from any lawsuits at all, like I heard if you register as a corporation, you can just go bankrupt, but does that really work, or can they just sue you individually?

Online trophosphere

• Frequent Contributor
I'm kind of curious about this myself.  Is there some blanket way to protect yourself from any lawsuits at all, like I heard if you register as a corporation, you can just go bankrupt, but does that really work, or can they just sue you individually?

There is something called "piercing the corporate veil" in the US which can open you up to lawsuit even though your business is registered as a corporation. If you knowingly did something malicious or even are ignorant of something that is expected in the industry that you are participating in then you - as an individual - will be liable. Even facets that are not directly related to the product itself can make yourself be vulnerable such as not keeping your business and individual finances separate. Needless to say, if you want the full protection then you will need professional help or at least in the initial period to make sure everything is in place.

In regards to certifications... from what I have seen a large portion of individuals don't get it for their products and end up skimming just below the radar because they either sale too little to be noticed/worth it or they are lucky in that someone doesn't call them out on it. Below are a couple links which provide some insightful information.

The FCC and Open Source Hardware
FCC Rules for Kits and Subassemblies
Is a Design Change Without A Re-Test Too Risky?

The following users thanked this post: TimNJ, BrianHG

• Super Contributor
CE is necessary to sell into the EU, it basically serves as a declaration that you comply with LVD, ROHS and EMC, and you or your distributor will need to put something in place for WEEE.

For the US  market you need to get the FCC stuff done (And make sure the paperwork is right), they have gone after small musical instrument gear companies in the past, and levy nasty fines (They took electro-harmonix for $450K) a few years back.

UL/ETL and such are an insurance industry thing, but some cities have mandated them in the US (LA IIRC being the biggie?), they mainly serve as a demonstration of good practise when something goes wrong, much better to be able to say to the jury, "The product was independently tested for safety by XXX and found to comply with the appropriate product standards" then having to say "Well we didn't think of that!".

Regards, Dan.

Thank you. Looks like FCC is the big, unavoidable one, as per the links in trophosphere's post. Interesting that a city can mandate agency approval? How on earth does that play out and to what extent can that be enforced?

If they are local, the EMC and safety labs usually will help with identifying the standards that apply and the appropriate tests. What they ask for and suggest is sometimes negotiable and open to discussion, depending on how unique your design is and how unfamiliar they are with it. For instance, noting that it's an amplifier without pointing out the 400V rail might lead them to a less stringent quotation than would happen if it was only 50V. They will find it in the review, and then all the sudden another standard and 20 more hours might be needed. A good Theory of Operation for the evaluating engineer will help with that.

The industrial projects I've seen go through EMC usually come in between $10,000 and $20,000. It depends on how complex they are, what connects to them, which global regions to cover, how many time you need to go back, etc. I don't do much with safety approvals but I suspect it's about the same. Perhaps with a simpler device it may be lower.

If in their consultations you get quotations, they will specify which standards and their revisions will be applied. Buy each one and study them. It isn't easy language to work with at times, and often one standard will draw on other standards. You may need to purchase those as well. They tend to cost in the $25 to $200 range, depending on length, obscurity, popularity, etc. Expect to get 2 or 3 for each of EMC and safety.

As for opening it up, security screws, safety labels, and warnings in the manual help with your side of the liability.

Here's a trap to watch out for: sometimes the solution for one makes the other worse. For instance, adding a capacitor to deal with EMC may cause a safety issue somewhere else. You can do EMC pre-testing of specific things without getting a report. I suspect that if your amplifier isn't loaded with a bunch of high speed digital circuitry, clocks, and radios then it's more of an immunity issue than an emissions issue. This suggests doing the safety tests first, then go to EMC. Any changes may require only limited retesting.

Thank you for your invaluable insights. It seems being honest with the agencies will probably make your and their lives easier. I know EMC is expensive but yikes $10k is going to be hard to cough up. I suppose this is where crowdfunding might be useful for these types of things. It's easier to justify dropping that sort of cash when you have a better idea about the demand for your product.

With EMC mind, I did design in a pretty standard input filter section (X-cap, Y-caps, CM choke). And, working at a power supply manufacturer, I can definitely relate to adding in a bridging cap to reduce conducted EMI but then failing in safety for leakage current. That said, I've never had to actually deal with the agencies myself, so big thanks for your suggestions.

Don't know rules in US, but in China, a company only shields you from civil offenses, but not criminal offenses.
I.E., your company has built a faulty device that killed, you did all engineering properly, just an isolated 0.001% chance incident screwed up a customer, then it's civil offense -- just pay money, if you can't, then declare bankrupt.
If your product killed someone due to lack of regulation compliance or intentional skimping of BOM, then it's criminal offense and a shell company won't save you from the law.

I personally know a guy who made mine ventilation control systems, he basically used all Japanese caps and brand new chips to get his products certifed, then replaced all Japanese caps with no brand Chinese ones and genuine chips with fake or recycled chips. One day his device failed and killed a couple dozens of workers, and he went to jail. His brother had to spend all this lifetime saving to compensate the victims' family to beg for forgiveness as well as to bribe the judge to reduce his life sentence to a shorter one.

Yikes. Engineering ethics! I guess they're important. ;)

There is something called "piercing the corporate veil" in the US which can open you up to lawsuit even though your business is registered as a corporation. If you knowingly did something malicious or even are ignorant of something that is expected in the industry that you are participating in then you - as an individual - will be liable. Even facets that are not directly related to the product itself can make yourself be vulnerable such as not keeping your business and individual finances separate. Needless to say, if you want the full protection then you will need professional help or at least in the initial period to make sure everything is in place.

In regards to certifications... from what I have seen a large portion of individuals don't get it for their products and end up skimming just below the radar because they either sale too little to be noticed/worth it or they are lucky in that someone doesn't call them out on it. Below are a couple links which provide some insightful information.

Very interesting. I'd like to think I'd never design something in with malicious intent, but can't say that something couldn't slip by because of technical ignorance.

I can think of a handful of home-brew devices (which people wound up selling) that definitively don't have FCC approval. That said, maybe they didn't need certification because they were exempt in some way. I was going to ask how people like Dave usually (or might in the future) deal with these issues. Dave is developing the new uSupply which I presume would not be exempt (but maybe not, who knows) and I'm curious how he might go about it.

Thanks all!

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor

I'm in Canada but I imagine it might be similar here. Though is there perhaps some kind of insurance that would protect you perhaps?  I have a few ideas but my main fear is lawsuits - either safety related, or patent related.  I might use a concept that I don't realize is patented.  Companies patent the weirdest things that you would not otherwise think that could be patented, like shapes.  If I make a few extra hundred bucks on the side selling stuff only to get myself into a 1 or even 100 million dollar lawsuit because I may have overlooked a safety issue then the risk of going in business is just not worth it to me.   Though I guess that's when stuff like ULC and CSA comes in, if my product is certified then I am protected right?   

• Super Contributor
Though I guess that's when stuff like ULC and CSA comes in, if my product is certified then I am protected right?   

Basically, to get a product into market, you need to do certification in multiple fields:
1. Safety -- UL, CSA, etc.
2. EMI/EFT -- CISPR, FCC, etc.
3. Environment -- RoHS, WEEE, etc.

Violation of number 2 and 3 are common, and realistically, unless you are into big business, I would bet on it.
For safety, I don't think it's wise to take any chance. The best way to get around it is to use pre-certified power supplied and stay away from high voltage power electronics.

As in, you'd bet on not getting environmental and EMC certification (and hope no one notices)? I agree, though, when it comes to protecting the end-user (and ultimately yourself, as the designer), safety is nothing to skimp on.

That said, in the event that your product starts gaining market traction, going back and getting FCC approval (after the fact) is probably going to raise some eyebrows.

And regarding staying away from high voltage electronics...well, that's the very nature of a tube amplifier. Before I get ahead of myself, I think I should focus on making a working finished prototype and then assessing the market to see if it would be worth it to move forward with big expenditures and marketing efforts.

Thanks.

Online trophosphere

• Frequent Contributor
I'm in Canada but I imagine it might be similar here. Though is there perhaps some kind of insurance that would protect you perhaps?  I have a few ideas but my main fear is lawsuits - either safety related, or patent related.  I might use a concept that I don't realize is patented.  Companies patent the weirdest things that you would not otherwise think that could be patented, like shapes.  If I make a few extra hundred bucks on the side selling stuff only to get myself into a 1 or even 100 million dollar lawsuit because I may have overlooked a safety issue then the risk of going in business is just not worth it to me.   Though I guess that's when stuff like ULC and CSA comes in, if my product is certified then I am protected right?   

There are multiple "types" of business insurances but the two that are likely the most relevant in this case would be Professional liability insurance and Product liability insurance. Professional liability insurance, otherwise known as errors and omissions (E&O) insurance, covers a business against negligence claims due to harm that results from mistakes or failure to perform - e.g. contract work resulting in a defective product/harm. Product liability insurance acts to protect a business due to possible damages caused by one of its products should a lawsuit go through. It may also act to cover the costs of defending a lawsuit but - like all insurance - the type of coverage varies based on the plan, company, and industry.

Professional liability insurance and Product liability insurance  - depending on the insurance provider - requires a formal review from the insurance company on your business practices and its products. You have to have the right licenses/certifications prior to even getting insurance so if you have a deficit then likely you won't be able to even obtain insurance in the first place. Of course this may vary depending on the insurance provider, state/province, and country.

Note that there are often clauses in the insurance agreements themselves which explicitly state that if you have knowingly done something malicious or have omitted something which is standard then the insurance is void and they will not pay out in the event of a lawsuit or required financial compensation from a third party.

Think of it like car insurance. To get it you have to have a legal driver's license (at least in the US though I have seen instances where someone has driver's insurance but not a valid driving license). The insurance will have different specifications on how much it will pay you/the third party and in what instances. The insurance can decide not to pay you if you have been found to damage your car on purpose, are negligent in your driving such as driving while intoxicated/falling asleep at the wheel, or you have not been upfront with them during your application (termed Application Dishonesty).

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Now, I've never sold anything I've made before so one of my first questions before going any farther is: How do I protect myself if people do stupid things with my product?

Product liability insurance. It's usually part of standard business insurance for companies that sell products, assuming your insurance broker has a clue.

But this will not protect you if knowingly do anything that may have resulted in that harm.
This is basically covered under "best practice" defence. So lons as you use "best practises" in the design and take adequate safety measures you should be covered.

But always remember this, you can be sued at any time for any thing. Nothing will stop people attempted to sue you if that's what they want to do.

I've designed it to be as safe as possible, but that said, nothing is stopping a user from opening the thing up and grabbing the +400V rail.

Then you are as covered as you can be.

• Super Contributor
Re: Bringing a product to market: Certification markings, not getting sued etc.
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 01:04:49 am »
Now, I've never sold anything I've made before so one of my first questions before going any farther is: How do I protect myself if people do stupid things with my product?

Product liability insurance. It's usually part of standard business insurance for companies that sell products, assuming your insurance broker has a clue.

But this will not protect you if knowingly do anything that may have resulted in that harm.
This is basically covered under "best practice" defence. So lons as you use "best practises" in the design and take adequate safety measures you should be covered.

But always remember this, you can be sued at any time for any thing. Nothing will stop people attempted to sue you if that's what they want to do.

I've designed it to be as safe as possible, but that said, nothing is stopping a user from opening the thing up and grabbing the +400V rail.

Then you are as covered as you can be.

Dave, thanks for your comprehensive reply. The "best practice" thing seems a bit wishy-washy to me, as in, it seems hard to nail down what that exactly is. I suppose there is objective best practice ways to do things, and those would be called UL/IEC standards. Even if you don't get certified, adhering to recognized standards would probably hold up better in court then "I dunno, thought it looked safe".

If this is too much information to disclose openly, forgive me, but do you have product liability insurance for your products? I suppose you might now since you have a more established line of branded products than before, but did you bother before?

Thanks again.

Offline f5r5e5d

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 01:16:51 am »

"the best" protection is to have no assets worth the cost of a lawsuit

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 01:17:39 am »
There is a universe of difference between a micro-power, battery operated piece of test gear vs. a mains-powered 100s of Volt, ??? Watts of power firebottle amplifier sold into the general consumer marketplace.  A universe of difference in potential liability as well.

Off-the-shelf OEM "wall-wart" and "line-lump" external power modules are very popular because they already have most of the critical factors worked out for you (and amortized over millions of units).  Companies 1000x as big as yours would rather risk customer complaints and use wall-warts vs. putting mains-sourced power supplies inside their products.  Of course, a big power amplifier (vacuum-state or solid-state) is not something you can operate from an OEM line-lump power supply. 

My perception is that getting certification for a mains-powered amplifier (especially with high-voltage) is going to require months or years and a big pile of money.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 01:27:21 am »
This was particularly nasty here in the US with nongroup health insurance- now they want to bring it back! "Rescission"  They would literally try to claw back all the money they had spent on behalf of people with cancer, etc. Which could in some cases be millions of dollars.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=rescission+nongroup&as_sitesearch=latimes.com

Note that there are often clauses in the insurance agreements themselves which explicitly state that if you have knowingly done something malicious or have omitted something which is standard then the insurance is void and they will not pay out in the event of a lawsuit or required financial compensation from a third party.

Think of it like car insurance. To get it you have to have a legal driver's license (at least in the US though I have seen instances where someone has driver's insurance but not a valid driving license). The insurance will have different specifications on how much it will pay you/the third party and in what instances. The insurance can decide not to pay you if you have been found to damage your car on purpose, are negligent in your driving such as driving while intoxicated/falling asleep at the wheel, or you have not been upfront with them during your application (termed Application Dishonesty).
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 02:02:25 am »
There is a universe of difference between a micro-power, battery operated piece of test gear vs. a mains-powered 100s of Volt, ??? Watts of power firebottle amplifier sold into the general consumer marketplace.  A universe of difference in potential liability as well.

Off-the-shelf OEM "wall-wart" and "line-lump" external power modules are very popular because they already have most of the critical factors worked out for you (and amortized over millions of units).  Companies 1000x as big as yours would rather risk customer complaints and use wall-warts vs. putting mains-sourced power supplies inside their products.  Of course, a big power amplifier (vacuum-state or solid-state) is not something you can operate from an OEM line-lump power supply. 

My perception is that getting certification for a mains-powered amplifier (especially with high-voltage) is going to require months or years and a big pile of money.

Thank you. The more I think of it, the more (practically) infeasible it seems. Though, with a potentially large profit per unit, it is conceivable that a crowdfunding campaign and a few hundred backers could pay those expenses. Ultimately, probably a headache.

Thank you all for your wisdom. I will finish off this project "pretending" I'm going to market with it, but it'll really just be practice for the real deal. I have a few projects on the roadmap, so perhaps one of those will be the one that makes it out into the world.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 02:30:19 am »
Dave, thanks for your comprehensive reply. The "best practice" thing seems a bit wishy-washy to me, as in, it seems hard to nail down what that exactly is. I suppose there is objective best practice ways to do things, and those would be called UL/IEC standards. Even if you don't get certified, adhering to recognized standards would probably hold up better in court then "I dunno, thought it looked safe".

If this is too much information to disclose openly, forgive me, but do you have product liability insurance for your products? I suppose you might now since you have a more established line of branded products than before, but did you bother before?

Thanks again.
It still seems to be a problem if you're not certified. What happens if you have adhered to the standards, but can't independently prove it? Suddenly, everything depends on your ability to prove this, while the other side has a strong motive to disprove it. What happens if you turn out to be non-compliant over a small detail? Wouldn't that be convenient for anyone disputing your compliance?

Mind you, I understand the issue and it seems silly that building and selling a chair is trivial, but selling some fairly simple electronics is a lot more complicated.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 03:40:48 am »
Tim,

One way to address a good chunk of the problem you pointed out, and substantially reduce your liability, I would imagine, is to have a functional power interlock. Have a switch which only supplies power while the door is closed.

it be impossible to run your amplifier with the cabinet door open.

That will remind your users that dangerous voltages lurk inside. Should a user be dumb enough to defeat your interlock then they are much more on their own than otherwise, legally, I would imagine.

Hi all,

I've been working on a guitar amplifier design for a couple of months now. While I am still doing testing and verification right now, the end goal is a product that has several advantages over current offerings and at a lower price point. For now, the project is just for me, but I have been putting a lot of effort into making it a manufactureable and (theoretically) reliable design. If I can get people interested in the amp, I would like to try to sell them.

Now, I've never sold anything I've made before so one of my first questions before going any farther is: How do I protect myself if people do stupid things with my product? I've designed it to be as safe as possible, but that said, nothing is stopping a user from opening the thing up and grabbing the +400V rail.

Additionally, are things like UL/CSA/CE approvals necessary? I feel like most consumers don't buy a product based on whether or not it has a certification mark on the back. I'm not implying that is a bad thing to get your product checked out, but just wondering if it would be worth it (or necessary) for me, as a small scale "manufacturer".

Thanks in advance,
Tim

It couldn't hurt with UL certification too.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 02:27:12 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2017, 03:42:40 am »
Dave, thanks for your comprehensive reply. The "best practice" thing seems a bit wishy-washy to me, as in, it seems hard to nail down what that exactly is.

It's easy.
"Best practice" is basically "best effort", i.e. you took reasonable step to ensure safety.
Simply documenting that you considered risks and took reasonable measures to counteract them is sufficient.
It's basically anything but knowing endangerment. i.e. if you know something is unsafe and you did nothing about it and it kills someone, you are screwed.
This actually extends to employees of companies, they can have personal culpability.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2017, 03:46:00 am »

I know a guy in Oz that developed a switch in a mains power cord.
Yes, an actual switch in series with a power cord (a "green" product for shutting off standby power in hard to reach places.
It took almost 2 years to get to market and he got taken to the cleaners by certification companies.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2017, 03:49:28 am »

This alone is a huge issue with the legal system.  It seems even if you take every possible due diligence in the world you can STILL become a victim of a lawsuit.  For a small profile company this is basically life ending.  I guess that's where the liability insurance would come in.

With all the certifications and stuff required, seems to me the system is really designed to make it near impossible for a small businesses  to get started in manufacturing though.  Kind of sad really.   The worse is the fact that they don't care about foreign stuff, so people can sell you stuff that's not certified through Ebay/Amazon and it's fair game, but as a local resident you cannot do the same.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2017, 03:55:10 am »
This alone is a huge issue with the legal system.  It seems even if you take every possible due diligence in the world you can STILL become a victim of a lawsuit.  For a small profile company this is basically life ending.  I guess that's where the liability insurance would come in.

With all the certifications and stuff required, seems to me the system is really designed to make it near impossible for a small businesses  to get started in manufacturing though.  Kind of sad really.   The worse is the fact that they don't care about foreign stuff, so people can sell you stuff that's not certified through Ebay/Amazon and it's fair game, but as a local resident you cannot do the same.
In some cases, that's actually the problem. Someone with deep pockets can squeeze the life out of a smaller party, even if they've done nothing wrong. If your money runs out, you're done for, and no cure no pay lawyers won't always be very interested to take on huge legal teams. They need to see a fair chance of success.

Even though it's not terribly common, it's not quite unheard of either.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2017, 04:02:16 am »
As in, you'd bet on not getting environmental and EMC certification (and hope no one notices)?

That said, in the event that your product starts gaining market traction, going back and getting FCC approval (after the fact) is probably going to raise some eyebrows.

Correct. It's the seller/importer's business to be WEEE compliant in EU (similarly in Japan), not manufacturers. As for RoHS, as long as you use only PbF chips and PbF solder, not passing it would be hard, so I would bet on it. If you are physically in EU, that's a different story (for WEEE).

As for EMI thing, you should have a simple near field test setup (a large microwave oven with a calibrated RF noise source to calibrate the chamber and a calibrated RF spectrometer to receive DUT EMI) and keep a good 10dB margin, or if you can find a place that's in the middle of nowhere and make a far field test setup. If your product passes this crude test, I would say it's okay.

Also, there are some tricks, such as how do you name your product. For instance, many audio DACs are branded as headphone amplifiers, which circumvents FCC certification process (if it's called a USB DAC, then it's a computer peripheral, and it must undergo FCC certification process). For non computer peripherals with >9kHz internal clock, you don't have to do FCC certification, instead, you need to do an FCC verification, which means you can test it in-house. You don't need an accredited lab to generate an FCC verification report, unlike a certification report.

BTW, FCC law enforcement is really hard. Espressif even sold some early ESP8266 modules with fake FCC marking, and they still managed to get a real FCC ID later. Similarly, a Chinese phone jammer company has managed to sell products that blocks all cellular phone activity including 911, for five years, until FCC won the lawsuit (though the company paid $50M fine, but I believe they made far more than $50M in the five years).

Another way to circumvent FCC is to brand your product as a dev kit (ISM exemption) with pre-made hardware, and distribute firmware blob on your website as "reference design". This effectively shifts liability to your customer, not you.

Finally, you can consider to start a shell offshore company in HK, and ship your goods to HK to a reshipper, then distribute from HK. Chinese government really doesn't care about foreign country regulation compliance, as long as you are not so high profile that you shout to FCC "hey, F you, mug". Your customer will never know it's an offshore, as HK doesn't have an offshore company system (unlike BVI or Cayman). Instead, HK laws allow local companies to be run offshore, and all legal records show no difference than a real local company.

Wow. Fascinating. We do a lot of pre-compliance testing at work, but always submit to an EMC lab for approval. Say I was to forgo EMC certification and did in-house testing that showed reasonable margin (-10dB for ex.). Is the only way to get in legal trouble if the FCC tested the product and found that it doesn't meet the requirements? Alternatively, if they find that it is below the allowable limit, can you still get in trouble for not getting an official certificate?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2017, 04:09:23 am »
Tim,

One way to address a good chunk of the problem you pointed out, and substantially reduce your liability, I would imagine, is to have a functional power interlock. Have a switch which only supplies power while the door is closed.

it be impossible to run your amplifier with the cabinet door open.

That will remind your users that dangerous voltages lyrk inside. Should a user be dumb enough to defeat your interlock then they are much more on their own than otherwise, legally, I would imagine.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance,
Tim

It couldnt hurt with UL certification too.

Are you a musiciam who lives near me? 

Thanks for the advice! I think I've seen a similar trick used in a product or two.

I suppose the take-away is: It's impossible to protect yourself with 100% certainty, but you can definitely take steps to convince a hypothetical jury that you took the necessary measures to protect the end user.

I'm from NJ. I play in a band with a few of my college friends but nothing big-time.

Online trophosphere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2017, 04:13:13 am »

In some cases, that's actually the problem. Someone with deep pockets can squeeze the life out of a smaller party, even if they've done nothing wrong. If your money runs out, you're done for, and no cure no pay lawyers won't always be very interested to take on huge legal teams. They need to see a fair chance of success.

Even though it's not terribly common, it's not quite unheard of either.

One avenue to explore would be the possibility of getting a company to license your project and thus leave the nitty-gritty of manufacturing and certification/paperwork to them to fulfill. Sure you would make less per unit sold of your widget and you have less control over certain modifications but that may be a way to see your project be introduced to the masses without having to directly contend with all these regulations. Of course you should still try to design with safety in mind - still gotta pay attention to the whole ethics thing - but your best effort should be sufficient in this regard.

This idea should be taken with a grain of salt as I'm sure if the lawyers wanted to they could get to you but this helps spread the liability and introduces the concept of the Swiss Cheese Model of Safety: All layers are not expected to be 100% full-proof (hence the holes), but with enough layers, things that could get past one or two layers should get caught in the others.

Examples:
SeeedStudio
Sparkfun

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2017, 04:20:03 am »
One thing I always wondered too is if you sell your products as a "preassembled hobby kit".   Essentially you sell it with your intention being that it's other electronics enthusasts that will buy it for the parts or for experimenting, and not for production use.  If someone does use it for production use and it fails then your defense is that it was not actually meant to be used as such. 

Of course by doing this you would pretty much have to rely 100% on word of mouth to get actual users to buy it knowing that it's *really* meant for production.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf