Author Topic: Building DMM leads  (Read 3597 times)

Offline WhiteFireDragonTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Building DMM leads
« on: November 17, 2012, 07:57:46 am »
I'd like to build leads for my multimeter. Yeah, I can just buy them, but I like building stuff and I also want some customized tips. Here are the parts I came up with so far:

Alligator clips: toothless clip (for LED wire), standard clip (for general purposes)
banana plugs: shrouded (for DMM), non-shrouded (for alligator clip side)
probes: test probes (plugs into banana plugs)
wires: ??

I'm assuming all banana plugs are 4mm sizes? Please check if the banana plugs I choose are correct, because I'm not sure if I can solder a wire onto those. And I need help on which wire/cable to get. I would like something really flexible, so I'm assuming silicone insulated wires? Also, copper clips are better at conduction, but will corrode faster than steel, correct? Thanks in advance

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
Re: Building DMM leads
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 08:05:56 am »
Silicone AWG16/18 wires
And look for another type of non-shrouded jacks, the pomona ones are terrible quality that comes from china (Don't assume!)
But in my knowledge "wireless" test leads usually accept shrouded ones

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 09:40:24 am »
Ok I'm going to go with these 16awg silicone wires. I'm hoping total diameter is less than 4.5mm because the shrouded banana plug can't accept wires any bigger according to the data sheet. I'm also going to go with THESE 4mm banana plugs because they look less cheap, and require soldering of the wire for attachment. What are the standard wire sizes for multimeter leads, like the ones Fluke uses? I'm looking for the biggest possible wire that can fit to minimize the resistance.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 09:45:47 am »
No idea but the probes i have are mostly 95cm-120cm or 1.2m

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 10:07:30 am »
Ah I meant wire thickness, not length. The leads from my amprobe has wires that are 3.5mm thick, so I'm hoping 16awg wires won't be more than 4.5mm thick, otherwise it probably won't work with a lot of the parts I'm ordering.

Offline notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 10:37:47 am »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf