Author Topic: Cost of a calibration check on a Fluke 289? Even a rough idea?  (Read 3641 times)

Offline Terry01Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
The "next calibration due" date on my 289 is coming round soon. Does anyone know how much it will be to have it done again? I'd like to keep 1 of my meters in calibration. This meter was calibrated just before i bought it.
 I've never had a meter calibrated before so a recommendation of somewhere somone else uses or whatever would be handy too if poss.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 10:09:22 am by Terry01 »
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Cost of a new calibration check on a Fluke 289?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 10:07:30 am »
Anyone have even a small clue to go on for starters?  :-//

Offline EmmanuelFaure

• Regular Contributor
Re: Cost of a calibration check on a Fluke 289? Even a rough idea?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 11:26:49 am »
For that kind of multimeter, I'd say about $100.
Here for your model, $95 : https://www.custom-cal.com/Calibration_Price_List.aspx?kn=218&m=FLUKE_Calibration_Price

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 12:51:11 pm »
Somewhere in the neighborhood of 15%-30% of the cost to buy a new meter, depending on how thoroughly it's done and who does it. At the low end probably all that will be done is measurement of a few NIST traceable standards to confirm the meter reads within spec.

My solution was to buy one of those cheap voltage references on ebay and a few high precision resistors (Vishay Bulk Metal Foil type). Capacitors of 1% might be useful, but I personally don't have much need for capacitance measurement perfection.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 12:53:09 pm »
For that kind of multimeter, I'd say about $100.
Here for your model, $95 : https://www.custom-cal.com/Calibration_Price_List.aspx?kn=218&m=FLUKE_Calibration_Price

Thanks very much for replying. There are so many online to choose from and to be honest i don't really know what to trust. They all say "we are the best"! They can't all be LOL

Thanks again...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 03:07:58 pm »
Calmet are U.K. based and have a clue. They’re not far from me actually and a tangible company.

https://www.calmet.co.uk

I got quoted £80 ish for a 5.5 digit DMM for full cal so will be around that or slightly less plus collect and return fees.

There are cheaper options but they appear to all be idiots. One company didn’t even know who HP were ffs.

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 05:09:41 pm »
It depends on what you want/expect from your calibration. For home use, I think the downsides/risks of calibration outweigh the upside. I've never sent any of my gear for formal calibration. So my advice would be don't waste your money, especially on a handheld Fluke 289.

However, I assume you will still want to calibrate it so read on... :)

Many calibration houses will be UKAS accredited and you can download a copy of their 'capability' certificate. This will list what they are accredited for (could be DMM calibration or weights/measures etc etc) and it will also show how accurately they can measure things down to ppm levels. Presumably they get tested themselves and the certificate shows what they can do.

Trescal are going to be one of the top performers here but they are a big company and will be expensive I think. The company I work for use them for our mainstream calibration requirements. The really exotic (RF?) test gear goes elsewhere. Often it ends up abroad for calibration/repair.

Most cal/test houses will be capable of a standard calibration on your Fluke 289 and so maybe you could shop around despite significant differences in ultimate capability on their certificates. But IMO you are probably just (needlessly) paying them to tell you (every year) it isn't faulty. You also have to hope they don't drop it or scratch it or make it worse if they try and adjust anything. It could also spend days in the back of a transit van if you use their courier system to collect/deliver.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 05:22:09 pm by G0HZU »

Offline MapleLeaf

• Contributor
  • Why don't wands have Si in them? Real Magic!
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 05:32:07 pm »
interesting, i have a Keysight 34465A  dmm and
 https://www.custom-cal.com/  does not have a price to cal it on their site. They list older Keysight DMMs.
Can only Keysight  do a calibration on it?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 08:00:14 pm »
Calmet are U.K. based and have a clue. They’re not far from me actually and a tangible company.

https://www.calmet.co.uk

I got quoted £80 ish for a 5.5 digit DMM for full cal so will be around that or slightly less plus collect and return fees.

There are cheaper options but they appear to all be idiots. One company didn’t even know who HP were ffs.

Ideal, that's the info I was after! Thanks bd139 i'll give them a bell Monday morning.  :-+

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 10:34:54 pm »
I think CALMET have UKAS certificate 0143 and the UKAS website has their UKAS certified schedule here:

https://www.ukas.com/wp-content/uploads/schedule_uploads/00001/0143Calibration%20Multiple.pdf

This shows how accurately Calmet can generate and measure DC/AC voltage and resistance etc. It appears they have quite good capabilities in some areas but maybe average in others.

If the link doesn't work you can go on the UKAS website and search for them there. You can also do regional searches, eg I found 7 UKAS accredited cal houses in Scotland for example.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 09:58:47 am »
I think CALMET have UKAS certificate 0143 and the UKAS website has their UKAS certified schedule here:

https://www.ukas.com/wp-content/uploads/schedule_uploads/00001/0143Calibration%20Multiple.pdf

This shows how accurately Calmet can generate and measure DC/AC voltage and resistance etc. It appears they have quite good capabilities in some areas but maybe average in others.

If the link doesn't work you can go on the UKAS website and search for them there. You can also do regional searches, eg I found 7 UKAS accredited cal houses in Scotland for example.

Ah, cool! If there are cal houses in Scotland that have the same capabilities and I can find a few reviews or whatever I may use 1 that is in Scotland. If only just for the fact I may even be able to drop off and pick up my meter myself therefor eliminating the need to hope I get a decent courier to transport my meter.

Off subject a little but..... a couple of years ago I gave up fly fishing so sold my entire collection of fly fishing and fly tying stuff. To cut a long story short 1 older gentleman seen me selling my stuff on Ebay and let me know he was just getting into it as a new pass time and was interested in my whole fly tying station. So I sold it all and packed the 3 tying vices separate since they were very heavy and the rest of the stuff was quite delicate.
When I posted the 2 big parcels and as I left the post office the Postie van drew up to collect the days out going parcels. I was on the other side of the road lighting a smoke up as he came out opened the back of the van and started literally launching parcels in! I saw and heard mine landing! I knew the vice bases would be fine but anything they landed on that wasn't well packed would be toast! The guy was back in the van and off before I could pull him on it! I was fuming! A few hundred quid of decent stuff launched about like rubbish!
I went back in and reported it but the woman couldn't give 2 hoots! So I phoned up and was basically told if anything is damaged put in a claim. They weren't even too bothered to get the details to tell the driver to be more careful!
All the stuff I posted was fine but someone would have got flattened parcels from that load for sure!

I would much rather drop off and pick up my meter myself if possible so I will check and see if there are any near me.

Thanks very much for the help everyone.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 11:02:28 am »
That’s about right. Had the same thing a number of years ago and was told by the guy that it’s not his problem and I should pack the stuff properly. So I got my phone out and recorded him loading the van up for the entire duration. Which he did slowly carefully and politely.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 12:46:18 pm »
That’s about right. Had the same thing a number of years ago and was told by the guy that it’s not his problem and I should pack the stuff properly. So I got my phone out and recorded him loading the van up for the entire duration. Which he did slowly carefully and politely.

How they change when caught on camera eh? They should be recorded  loading stuff all the time but then I suppose where does it all stop?
The thing that pissed me off was that the guy had got the stuff from me to save having to go to the trouble of buying everything separately and getting decent stuff as he was just starting out and had no knowledge. He would have to go through getting a claim then getting everything himself anyways all because someone couldn't load a few parcels properly.  ???

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf