Author Topic: Covid 19 virus  (Read 196521 times)

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
Re: Covid 19 virus
« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2020, 12:39:18 am »
What politics are you talking about? Are we better informed here in Canada than you guys down there that  vice president Pence was assigned to lead the coronavirus response ?  :-//
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2020, 01:11:19 am »
What politics are you talking about? Are we better informed here in Canada than you guys down there that  vice president Pence was assigned to lead the coronavirus response ?  :-//

Yes, I am aware of the situation. I was referring to my gut response - my inclination to respond in a manner that is disrespectful of the principle to leave politics out of the discussion.
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2020, 01:16:55 am »
Who is in charge around here?!

I heard Pence ...?

Only for about the past week (since the 27th). Before that the CDC was in charge and apparently running very much open loop.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2020, 01:20:24 am »
Search for "coronavirus politics" if you really want to find out. But no reason to bring it here. Those of us who care to know about relevant politics already know about them. Those of us who bury their head in the sand don't want to know at this time.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2020, 01:27:37 am »
The important thing is to keep big business going, to keep the share price high and maintain market share. Just ask the CEOs of most large corporations, the mega-rich, and Dr. Groeteschele from Fail Safe (1964). Why not just let everyone get the virus and and let the elderly die? Their use-by date has expired anyway. And they are not big spenders on Nike or the latest Apple products, so the losses are minimal. The share price - that is what is important!

Seriously though, it is fun to watch the greedy and amoral suffer as the share market crashes :-+. Bad news though is the greedy might pour more money back into the housing investment market, making homes more unaffordable for genuine families than ever :--.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2020, 01:29:05 am »

Bud, I don't think that that was directed at you. I think the previous poster was expressing his own dissatisfaction at the US's lack of testing and other failures with regard to handling the early outbreaks in the US.  I posted some similar days ago when I pointed out that the US had only tested 44something people whereas VietNam had tested over 1700 and South Korea had tested well over 100,000.  But to be fair, I will say this was when the CDC was in charge and before Pence was appointed to take charge.

For the most part, everyone on this forum has done a good job of discussing the facts without veering off into politics. I hope we can keep it that way.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2020, 07:57:36 am »
I don't think investors are too bothered other than those involved in short term profiteering. In the long term things will come back. I heard a guy on the radio the other day saying just that. He was not bothered because his investment business works in the years and decades not the 1 week panic mode.

Offline Leo Bodnar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2020, 09:52:43 am »
This is pretty close.  Here is a good primer of what R0 is.
Remember that R0 is not a rate.  It does not have time dimension in it.
Leo
As I understand it the R0 measure is for uncontrolled growth in the population (no vaccination, immunity, isolation). The idea is NOT to have the R0 materialize.

Offline Leo Bodnar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #133 on: March 09, 2020, 09:56:05 am »
I am all for social justice but you probably do not know that most of society's pension money is invested in stock markets.
Be careful what you wish for.
Leo
Seriously though, it is fun to watch the greedy and amoral suffer as the share market crashes :-+.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #134 on: March 09, 2020, 10:39:23 am »
Quite, not my problem as at 36 plenty of time to recover. As much as i hate the stocks and shares model it will be the source of my pension.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #135 on: March 09, 2020, 01:52:50 pm »
This is pretty close.  Here is a good primer of what R0 is.
Remember that R0 is not a rate.  It does not have time dimension in it.
Leo
As I understand it the R0 measure is for uncontrolled growth in the population (no vaccination, immunity, isolation). The idea is NOT to have the R0 materialize.

Yes, you are right and I was being sloppy. What I meant, of course, is that the idea is NOT to have the expected number of secondary infections determined by R0 by introducing quarantine into the population in contrast to a "completely susceptible" population, which the R0 assumes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/health/coronavirus-how-epidemics-spread-and-end/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 05:40:17 pm by DrG »

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136 on: March 09, 2020, 03:15:06 pm »

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #137 on: March 09, 2020, 04:43:16 pm »
There does seem to be a remarkable disconnect between what happened in China, and what the West were expecting. It seems that China is faraway and a distinct type of culture, so while we were LOLing at the Chinese building hospitals in 10 days, and declaring "war on Coronavirus", our mindset seemed to be "won't happen here, we are different".

We may will be different, but not in ways that affect a virus. The Chinese response was drastic and quite remarkable, and should have been a major heads up. In several ways they messed up the initial response, and the animal-human phase appears to have been overlooked, but then they got serious about it. Even with that warning, our governments have dillied about, and the public (no doubt prompted by our wonderful "free" media) go into panic mode.

There are interesting political angles which I won't go into. But it would be a good idea if the money that was chopped from budgets aimed at preventing pandemic outbreaks was restored... but what will probably happen is that after muddling through, people will say "that wasn't so bad" and go back to business as usual.

Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #138 on: March 09, 2020, 05:30:11 pm »
Well N10  have used war like language but the actual action has not been that forthcoming. It would appear that they are still hedging their bets that it won't happen but that will make it happen. My sister is due to have a baby in May, I am not happy, last thing she needs is a Covid-19 ridden hospital to give birth in because we lost control of it.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #139 on: March 09, 2020, 07:12:08 pm »
Well N10  have used war like language but the actual action has not been that forthcoming. It would appear that they are still hedging their bets that it won't happen but that will make it happen. My sister is due to have a baby in May, I am not happy, last thing she needs is a Covid-19 ridden hospital to give birth in because we lost control of it.

Home birth?

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #140 on: March 09, 2020, 07:17:25 pm »
Yes I had wondered if they would be organized for that.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #141 on: March 09, 2020, 07:22:06 pm »
Yes I had wondered if they would be organized for that.

Anyone can request it in the UK,  the midwives come to your house.  So few people do it, that you will get far more attention than at a hospital.   You have to request it well in advance...

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #142 on: March 09, 2020, 07:29:22 pm »
Sounds like the best thing. With hospitals cleaned by contractors employing staff on minimum wage I have no wish to have her hanging around in a hospital that is full of people being treated for Covid-19, with the best will in the world once they go full overload cross contamination will occur.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #143 on: March 09, 2020, 11:28:52 pm »
Decent tracking site here - https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #144 on: March 09, 2020, 11:46:39 pm »
I expect to see acceleration in China in the next few days while people start migrating again.

China continues to report unrealistically low numbers of new daily cases. Just 4 today.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #145 on: March 09, 2020, 11:56:52 pm »
Sounds like the best thing. With hospitals cleaned by contractors employing staff on minimum wage I have no wish to have her hanging around in a hospital that is full of people being treated for Covid-19, with the best will in the world once they go full overload cross contamination will occur.

Under normal circumstances, home birth is much more dangerous than hospital birth.  I don't envy anyone having to balance that against coronavirus risk.

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #146 on: March 10, 2020, 03:30:07 am »
All of the roadside births I've heard about at the hands of cabbies or police officers have all had happy endings.

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #147 on: March 10, 2020, 10:56:07 am »
Italy now on countrywide quarantine. Whether you believe the Chinese figures or not, the ROW is really taking off. I expect more national quarantines like Italy.

Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #148 on: March 10, 2020, 09:06:48 pm »
Time for a smile or two:

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #149 on: March 10, 2020, 09:38:21 pm »
those are hilarious.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf