Author Topic: Crazy 'Manned Multicopter' must see  (Read 7462 times)

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
Re: Crazy 'Manned Multicopter' must see
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2016, 09:22:30 pm »
Only RPM difference.

That's usually done using electric motors that respond to commands from the flight controller in a split second, using straight gas engines with their slow and somewhat unpredictable response is already stretching it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 09:24:55 pm by Kilrah »

Offline System Error Message

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2016, 10:02:41 pm »
well at least it beats being stuck in traffic jams and having to pay for parking.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2016, 10:13:28 pm »
Basically he's invented a flying coffin, he just needs to add the lid.

Yes, who the hell does he think he is, one of the Wright brothers.  :box:

You mean Wright brothers who literally didn't know squat about control issues or aerodynamics at the time, so they were risking life discovering new territory. That vs a guy who takes  RC model gear, everything basically off-the-shelf and builds a contraption to get killed in despite the knowledge about the serious safety shortcomings of this kind of design being widely available?   :palm:

The Wrights were explorers but this guy is just a plainly stupid Darwin award candidate, nothing more. And even if he manages to make the thing fly he didn't invent anything new there - the Moeller's "volantor" or "Skycar" predates this by at least a decade if not more and that actually had at least some safety features.

Volantor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moller_M200G_Volantor

The Skycar is actually more a tiltrotor than a multicopter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moller_M400_Skycar

Both were a failure and an abysmal money sink - mainly because of control issues and the safety problems in case of an multi engine failure, solving of which would make it completely unprofitable.

Btw, both Moeller's contraptions could handle single engine failure due to engine redundancy - unlike an X-shaped quadcopter which will immediately flip over if one motor conks out.

Edit: Actually the guy's contraption is an octocopter, not an X-shaped quad, but the engines are so weak that it barely hovers in ground effect. If one of the engines dies, he is going to have a really bad day ...

« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 08:09:53 pm by janoc »

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2016, 11:41:40 pm »
I'm not convinced this thing lifts off with him sitting on it.

electric versions
http://www.makermasters.com/e-volo-multicopter-paves-the-way-in-manned-diy-electric-flight
https://www.engadget.com/2016/04/10/18-rotor-electric-helicopter-in-manned-flight

Eight 8 HP motors and 10,000 rpm looks like getting close to liftoff.
http://adamone.rchomepage.com/calc_thrust.htm
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 12:21:07 am by StillTrying »
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2016, 01:04:39 am »
I'm not convinced this thing lifts off with him sitting on it.

He has been working on this project for more than a year, here are the videos in order...

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2016, 01:31:02 am »
From a link in the video  (warning sad ending)

All these years I thought it was a 737.  FYI  I would never fly Alaska Airlines

Alaska is my preferred airline living in the PNW.  Their safety record overall is quite excellent, especially given they fly into some of the toughest airports in some of the worst weather in North America.

All airlines have had serious accidents, just some have been lucky enough that everyone walked away.  People are always quick to blame airlines, but aviation safety is a delicate balance between costs (and not overengineering) and safety.  Are there some airlines I'd avoid; sure; most of the regionals are way dodgier than any of the mainlines; and knowing the pilot on my short hop flight likely makes just over minimum wage isn't the nicest of feelings.

there's a superb documentary on PBS Frontline called "Flying Cheap" if you want to know how the airline industry really works.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf