Author Topic: Debian mourns the passing of Ian Murdock  (Read 3172 times)

Offline DimitriPTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline VinzC

• Regular Contributor
  • See you later, oscillator.
Re: Debian mourns the passing of Ian Murdock
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 09:58:14 am »
I switched to Linux back in 2004 and at that time I didn't realize what the people behind did actually achieve to allow me making that choice. It's only years walking "off-the-track" (if I can say so) until I could truly measure how important fellows like Ian Murdock were. 42 is too young to die. Or just a nerd's way to quit...

Offline MrSlack

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 10:01:10 am »
Circumstances are really not right:

https://web.archive.org/web/20151229122811/https:/twitter.com/imurdock

More: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/12/30/ian_murdock_debian_founder/

Edit: Debian user for about 20 years now so this is a shocker for me.

Edit 2: only police report says suicide. After police harassment, needs independent verification.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 10:05:33 am by MrSlack »

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 10:37:49 pm »
Huh, those tweets are very...disorganized? I wonder if he was suffering some sort of mental break? Or on some sort of drug...

I'm not sure I buy the police brutality angle just yet. Either way, something major happened.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 11:37:48 pm »
Either way: someone who has made the life of many people better has passed away!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 09:35:16 pm »

Either way: someone who has made the life of many people better has passed away!

Right. Which is why I'd like to see *all* the details come out surrounding this. If it was police harassment, it needs to be exposed. If it was mental problems or drug abuse, that should also be exposed as well, as it could help others get help. There are very few cases where suicide is an acceptable answer to a problem.

Just like with Aaron Schwartz, the suicide itself might be shocking and sad, but it's not the real story. The real story is what drove him to it and what can be done to prevent it happening to someone else.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 12:37:26 pm »
Suicide seems to be an extreme and ineffective reaction to policy brutality, even if when raped by a female policy officer.

That's why I am a big supporter of community policing: people in a community should have the right to determine which laws to enforce (and which not to) and how it should be enforced. That way, we can all move to a community where law enforcement is customized to our personal liking. No more police brutality problems.

Otherwise, the only way to get rid of police brutality is to get rid of the police.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline MrSlack

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 03:16:17 pm »
dannyf/timb: spot on.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf