Author Topic: Desoldering Gun Advice  (Read 29832 times)

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
Re: Desoldering Gun Advice
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2015, 07:26:31 am »
Interesting, thanks. I hadn't thought about sucking up stuff other than solder, and the occasional resistor lead which then instantly turns into tungsten carbide inside the heater core...  |O

What kind of boards are these? And why do dozens of chips fail on the same board?

Haha, agree with your comments about resistor leads inside the heater core. But I can do better than that, broken HSS drill bit inside the heater core.  :-//
Had a xxl-long 3mm drill to clear the heater hole until some butthead coworker broke it inside the heater..

Boards were vintage industrial controls. There was not necessarily dozen of failed chips but in many cases it was faster and cheaper to replace them all at once than spend half a day wondering where the fault is. Or if  the fault was internmitted (once per week..) or temperature related.

Offline kc9qvl

• Regular Contributor
Re: Desoldering Gun Advice
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2015, 03:20:58 am »
I use this desolder iron from velleman. Works fine. not as fast as a powered vacuum but get the job done.

http://www.amazon.com/Velleman-VTDESOL3U-Vacuum-Desoldering-Heater/dp/B00B88FRME

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf