How do you pronounce soldering?

Souldering
15 (8.9%)
Soldering
98 (58.3%)
Saudering
55 (32.7%)

Total Members Voted: 164

Author Topic: Does anyone else pronounce "Soldering" as "Saudering"?  (Read 39338 times)

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
Re: Does anyone else pronounce "Soldering" as "Saudering"?
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2014, 08:08:33 am »
Just to contribute to this topic drifting further of course. I grew up with peanut paste and tomato sauce and now It is peanut butter and ketchup. I don't know if jam is jelly or biscuit is cookie. Why on Earth Aussie kids wear baseball caps (backwards or not) is a mystery.

In a global connected world it will probably merge eventually. In any case it reminded me of this episode of the British show with Stephen Fry, Absolute Power. The episode in question was Spinning America where the PR people had to make people like America and they tried to do  it by showing the people what the world might be like without the influence of American culture. It's a clever show.

This is the Episode on YT well worth a look.

Then again,it happens on a smaller scale within countries,with a seeming urge to "homogenise"societies by wiping out regional differences.

For instance,it's always been Peanut Butter in WA,even though 'tothersiders try to make us say Peanut Paste.
When Fremantle & West Coast play each other in the AFL,it's a Derby,not a "Darby".
People live in ALbany,not "AWLbany"!!

When we go for a swim we wear bathers not "cossies"!
We eat Polony not "Devon sausage".

When I was a kid,we'd never heard of Street's Ice Cream,or "Aeroplane Jelly"(Jelly in Oz is Jello in USA)
It was Peter's for the Ice Cream,& Anchor or Lion for the Jelly.

Most people in the Eastern States didn't know anything existed West of Bourke,so we didn't get the invasion of ES brands.

Our Entrepeneurs in WA started throwing their weight around,& woke them up to our existence.
Everything has gone downhill since! ;D

I've never seen any Oz jam labelled Jelly,except for the old "Apple Jelly"from years ago.
Sometimes it's called "Conserve" which seems to refer to having large pieces cut up in the jam,rather than
chopped up fine.

"Preserves" are what your Granny used to make at home.

Offline London Lad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2014, 08:46:16 am »
Is 'mom' really a word ?

Ask yer Mum!

'Mom' is never used in place of Mum in the UK as far as I know.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2014, 12:14:43 pm »
Seal up your lips and give no words but mum.
Henry VI, Part 2, Act 1, Scene 2
I don't think Bill was talking about his mother.

In more popular usage (at least in AmEnglish): "Mum's the word,"

Offline Slow Poke

• Contributor
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2014, 03:55:29 am »
US English: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/solder?s=t

"Queen's" English: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/solder_1?q=solder

Dang, this is important.

Are you telling me, it's "Queen's English," not "King's English?"

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2014, 03:58:50 am »
Dang, this is important.

I've heard it both ways, so I picked one. 

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2014, 04:08:43 am »
Is 'mom' really a word ?

Ask yer Mum!

'Mom' is never used in place of Mum in the UK as far as I know.

Maybe"Moom" sometimes! ;D
I just thought Mum might know!

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2014, 04:20:43 am »
When a Brit says "ma'am" it often sounds like the American "mom" to me.  Always gives me a chuckle.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2014, 04:55:20 am »

It's the Queen's English while the reigning monarch is the Queen. When the crown passes down to King Charles it will once again become the King's English.

Offline London Lad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2014, 08:50:32 am »
When a Brit says "ma'am" it often sounds like the American "mom" to me.  Always gives me a chuckle.

That is generally only used to address a woman who holds the rank of officer in the armed services or other uniformed organizations such as the police.

We don't use it as a general term of respect to a woman as is done in the US

Offline M0BSW

• Frequent Contributor
  • Left this site 2013, they will not delete it ????
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2014, 09:13:03 am »
Right lets have some proper Queens English here it's" Soldering", let's have it said properly, so  tonight's lesson is 1000 times written down like so:-  " In future I will say Soldering"  :clap: :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
no one would or will tell me how to delete this account

Offline Bluesharp

« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2023, 10:09:42 pm »
Hello, I'm American.  I have a long history with electronics, and half a Bachelor's degree in EE before switching to Computer Science.  I have always pronounced the word "solder" as "sodder" since I was a teenager (1978).  In fact, I had never hear it pronounced as as "solder" until a movie I watched in 2023.  I understand that the English language has a lot of differences in pronouncing "English" words, such as "Aluminum".  This is a particular annoyance of mine, since there are no extra characters in the word "aluminum" that would cause it to be pronounced "Al-u-min-ium".  So I'm in the "sodder" and "al-um-i-num" camp.  English is confusing because of the many alternately pronounced syllables in the language.  Which is right and which is wrong?  I depends on your language background and where you're from.  I can't call it "correct" or "incorrect".  It's just etymology and history.  As long as we understand what is meant, who cares?

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2023, 10:13:45 pm »
This is a particular annoyance of mine, since there are no extra characters in the word "aluminum" that would cause it to be pronounced "Al-u-min-ium".

Really? And there I was thinking it was spelt aluminium.

Thanks for bringing this nine and a half year old thread back for that, though.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2023, 10:31:25 pm »
I think it is more like "sahder", with the o pronounced "ah" instead of like "sold" or " the cow's gone, I  sold 'er".
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: November 10, 2023, 10:32:12 pm »
This is a particular annoyance of mine, since there are no extra characters in the word "aluminum" that would cause it to be pronounced "Al-u-min-ium".

It's spelt aluminum in american english. And aluminium pretty much everywhere else. That would be why. Probably comes from customary pronunciation in america that has made it to the dictionary.
Not that it's particularly interesting.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #114 on: November 10, 2023, 10:36:13 pm »
Where is the "f" sound found in "lieutenant"?
It is spelled the same way on both sides of the Atlantic.
(The answer is that is another side-effect of adopting a French word into English, similar to the silly pronunciation of "colonel".)

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #115 on: November 10, 2023, 10:40:23 pm »

It's spelt aluminum in american english. And aluminium pretty much everywhere else. That would be why. Probably comes from customary pronunciation in america that has made it to the dictionary.
Not that it's particularly interesting.

From the 'net:  Note that the "i" was added by Brits who liked to use Latin.
"The term 'aluminum' was created by the man who first identified the existence of the element, British chemist Humphry Davy. Davy originally referred to the element as 'alumium' but ultimately altered the name to 'aluminum'.
The term 'aluminium' emerged around the same time as Davy’s 'aluminum'. This term seems to have been motivated by a desire to give the element a name that sounded more like classical Latin, which was in line with other known elements at the time whose names ended in –ium, such as magnesium and calcium.
For the rest of the 1800s, both 'aluminum' and 'aluminium' were commonly used to refer to the element. Beginning in the 1900s, preferences for each term began to split among users. 'Aluminum' became the more popular name in American English, and 'aluminium' became the more popular name in British English. These preferences are still common today, but most chemistry organizations recognize both terms as acceptable."

Offline msuffidy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2023, 03:52:32 am »
So like sauté?

Online soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2023, 11:27:16 am »
Hello, I'm American. 
Huh. Interesting. Americans not only pronounce it wrong but also write it wrong to cover up their mistake. Huh. Interesting.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Online Xena E

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2023, 05:34:20 pm »

British English diverged sometime after North America was settled.  If you want to hear how the English sounded a few hundred years ago, listen to Americans. :)  There was a movement in England to "correct" pronunciation, and they swept through and basically invented the accent and pronunciation you hear today.  That's also why that general style of pronunciation is not ubiquitous through all of Great Britain.  The English diverged.  Everyone else just stayed as they were.

English is such a screwed up language anyway.  These inconsistencies in pronunciation are minor little details compared to the absolute train wreck the rest of the language is.

Give this guy the prize!

American English is more faithful to the language in Georgian/Victorian England than is modern English it is true...

And as for being screwed up and complicated what do you expect? it isn't even the original language of the British Isles! More a case of what you get by shoving Latin, modern French, modern German, Welsh, Galic, Anglo Saxon to name but the main ingredients, into the blender for a few centuries and calling the mess that comes out a language.

Even now there are personalities in the UK who try to reinvent the pronunciation of everyday words, and particularly place names. They are just bunch of elitist Waynekurs :)

Dim bull bee ;)

What's wrong with just leaving shit alone?

Never could understand why the Americanism for arithmetic is MATH though, is the contraction of mathematics not MATHS or are calculations considered a singular endeavour?

Aluminium as I would say it is not the original name for the metal, going back to origins I believe that was indeed aluminum.

It's all babel not worth fighting over.

BTW. I say sold_er_ing FWIW but live and let live.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2023, 06:15:22 pm »
Hello, I'm American. 
Huh. Interesting. Americans not only pronounce it wrong but also write it wrong to cover up their mistake. Huh. Interesting.
Strictly speaking, it should be, alum in um.

Going back to the original topic. I created a thread with some sound files of me attempting to say solder in different accents and butchering the US one quite badly.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/pronunciation-of-the-word-solder/

Online BILLPOD

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2023, 08:39:55 pm »
Hey, how about my biggest rant about pronunciations, and that is the U.S.
states of Kansas and Arkansas.   WHERE DOES 'KINSAW' come from :wtf:

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2023, 11:07:38 pm »
Hey, how about my biggest rant about pronunciations, and that is the U.S.
states of Kansas and Arkansas.   WHERE DOES 'KINSAW' come from :wtf:

That is easy, they are Indigenous names.

The fact they are spelled similarly just comes from who was the first person to mention the names to a non-indigenous person.
In the happy coincidence that they are people from that place, you might get the original name. If they are from somewhere else in North America, they probably got the name wrong.

If, then, the person trying to render the name into a European language was French, Spanish, Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Polish, Dutch, German, or whatever, the pronunciation became even further from the original.

Brits love calling places something other than their real names, thus Roma becomes Rome, Beijing somehow became Peking,
The Netherlands become Holland & Deutschland becomes Germany.
The French call London Londres.

Even within England, Why is Buckingham Palace "Buckin'm", But Southampton is pronounced as written?
Further to that area, why is the abbreviation for Hampshire "Hants" & not "Hamps"?

Why, when it comes to personal names, doesn't Cholmondeley Featherstone-Haugh call himself Chumley Fanshaw & be done with it?
Or all the "Sinjin's" either call themselves that or stick with the perfectly legitimate "St John".

Australia's 1950s PM Bob Menzies once expressed the desire for his name to be pronounced "Mingas" & was promptly labelled "Ming the Merciless".
Some 1960s "rising star" in the Right side of Oz Politics was a "St John" & wanted to be called "Sinjin".
His pretentiousness ensured he "sunk like a stone".

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2023, 12:52:35 am »
About half the placenames in the US can be attributed to Indian sources, yeah.  And then variously anglicized or corrupted to the forms we know now.

I live in Milwaukee, IIRC meaning "good waters", or a place thereof.  Yet half way across the continent there's a Milwaukie.  Which, I think may be more surprising in that, the root words were well enough conserved, despite the distance, despite the diversity of tribes inbetween, that they were transcribed nearly identically.

Many places here in WI, were named by early French trappers, traders, etc.; hence we have "Beloit" (in typical brutish American, "bell-oight"), from what should be more "bel-wa"; or Fond du Lac ("fonnalack"), etc.  These are mixed with Indian placenames (Wausau, Oconomowoc, Minocqua,  Kewaskum, etc.), and later (English and American) names of varying descriptive (e.g. Whitewater, Beaver Dam) and eponymous (Madison, etc.) origin.

Still other things weren't so lucky.  "Geoduck", pronounced "gooeyduck", is a suggestively-shaped clam (also from the Pacific NW), which was even transcribed more-or-less correctly...and yet... when the written report made it back to the academic community, it was copied incorrectly, and nobody's been bold enough to, just, put their foot down and say, yes we've been spelling it "this way" for so many years but come on, the actual source material spelled it "that way" and makes far more sense and can't we just---

...But no, we can't.  So we have many weird things throughout the world, because this process of transliteration, transcription, and corruption (whether written or verbal), occurs naturally.

The one upside is, this process is a source of entropy, by which we obtain specific-sounding names ("River Avon", a watercourse in England), from generic terms ("river river").

Tim
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 01:00:46 am by T3sl4co1l »
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2023, 12:54:33 am »
Saw the mentions of aluminium. OK I see that.

How about "before a live audience"... instead of filmed (or whatever) in front of a live audience?
Or, was it filmed before the audience was alive? They were dead then?

Or about nuclear (from nucleus) that is pronounced as nukular.... even by presidents.

OK let's agree not to talk about .gif pictures then.....

« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 12:57:33 am by richnormand »
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2023, 01:02:22 am »
Saw the mentions of aluminium. OK I see that.

How about "before a live audience"... instead of filmed (or whatever) in front of a live audience?
Or, was it filmed before the audience was alive? They were dead then?

Have you ever said "it happened before my eyes"?

"In front of" is a normal meaning of "before". :)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf