Author Topic: Does regular 60/40 63/37 type of solder have a expire date?  (Read 5689 times)

Offline Hagis2kTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Does regular 60/40 63/37 type of solder have a expire date?
« on: September 09, 2016, 05:12:48 pm »
Hi i bought two old rolls of "Ersin Mulitcors 3 Core solder" on a swedish auction site the price was really good but
it makes me wonder i do believe that the flux has dried in it?! Because it feels tacky and does not flow as i want
it to, but if i add a bit of bga rework no clean flux on the joint before i apply the solder then i feel it will flow
properly...

Anyone else that experienced this?

On the label on the roll i can see 1984 lol i wonder if this is the year it was produced?

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Re: Does regular 60/40 63/37 type of solder have a expire date?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 05:42:37 pm »
My dad has an older roll of solder from I think about the same time, and it's perfectly fine. I think it's also 60/40 with Rosin, but I don't know. It could be a variety of issues causing it, so old solder might not be the one culprit.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 06:32:55 pm »
I think like with tinned food items an expiry date is really a "best before" date vs. "use buy" date.

I've got a trusty roll of 60/40 that I have had for >20 years and works just fine. I'm sure if I compared it with something fresh it would be noticeably different in use, but then I would have to readjust to the new solder characteristics anyway.

Offline woodchips

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 08:36:48 pm »
No, but you aren't soldering with a lead free soldering iron are you? When the lead content drops much below the 37% it doesn't work in solder.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 08:48:10 pm »
I still have a little bit of a 1 pound roll of 60/40 I bought in 1997.  It's on the thicker side so I save it for soldering wires together and PL-259 connectors on coax.  Still works just fine.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 08:53:24 pm »
Just wipe the solder clean if it's dirty and it'll work fine for the next 30+ years.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.   Come visit us at EMEX Stand #1001 https://www.emex.co.nz/
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 08:58:22 pm »
Have some of this stuff which has the consistency of creamed corn and crumbles away and never wets properly so probably the same issue.
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 09:40:03 pm »
Hi i bought two old rolls of "Ersin Mulitcors 3 Core solder" on a swedish auction site the price was really good but
it makes me wonder i do believe that the flux has dried in it?! Because it feels tacky and does not flow as i want
it to, but if i add a bit of bga rework no clean flux on the joint before i apply the solder then i feel it will flow
properly...

Anyone else that experienced this?

On the label on the roll i can see 1984 lol i wonder if this is the year it was produced?

It should be 5 core solder.

Take a sharp knife, cut the solder and look at the end with a magnify glass. There should be 5 cores of flux.

Ersin, used different kinds of flux. There should be a number, normally 3 digits, indicating the type of flux.

I have lots of old solder and it all works fine for me.

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 10:07:11 pm »
Solder does go bad, but on much longer time scales than most people here are talking about.  I have quite a bit of flux core solder vintage 1960-1970 that is just fine.  I do have some slightly older flux core that has perished, but it had nicks that penetrated the core.  In normal use the ends of the solder are well sealed and will last for decades.  If you have small broken pieces of flux core solder I would recommend using them quickly, within a small number of years.

Acid core solder, once used in plumbing degrades relatively quickly, even if the ends of the solder are sealed at storage.  Time frame is a few decades.

Solid solder oxidizes slowly in air.  I have some examples inherited from my grandfather that are nearing 100 years old that have a thick crust of oxidation on them.  Still usable with difficulty, but that is largely because solder sizes were much larger in that era, on the order of 2 to 5 mm diameter.  I suspect that in today's sizes the solder would be unusable after five or six decades.

These experiences have involved somewhat benign storage conditions - relatively dry and modest temperature swings.  If your conditions are worse you might end up shortening the life of the solder somewhat.

Offline whitevamp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 11:03:51 pm »
i have a 60/40 role of solder from the 70's and it still solders just fine. ( No Plastic spool here, just a metal spool.)
and i have 10 roles of 3/60/37 from the 80's that i haven't touched yet.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 11:15:52 pm »
i have a 60/40 role of solder from the 70's and it still solders just fine. ( No Plastic spool here, just a metal spool.)
Just check the pricing for that stuff these days.  :o

Green with envy.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.   Come visit us at EMEX Stand #1001 https://www.emex.co.nz/
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline whitevamp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 12:17:31 am »
Just check the pricing for that stuff these days.  :o

Green with envy.
lol yea i know. but at least i didn't pay nothing for them, got them all for free a couple yrs back. along with a bunch of parts. 1000+ ltz1000 and other stuff, all new.

Offline ANTALIFE

• Frequent Contributor
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • Muh Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 12:48:53 am »
Have some of this stuff which has the consistency of creamed corn and crumbles away and never wets properly so probably the same issue.

That's what you get for buying cheap solder, also what are you trying to melt it with?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf