Author Topic: Easiest cheapest way to get a wireless monitor attached from lap top?  (Read 1228 times)

Offline BeaminTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
I have a TV that takes HDMI in the living room but want to use my laptop as the remote control, and to watch movies on the big screen. Could I put a raspberry pi on the TV through the HDMI out, then run VNC or similar program to make the lap top screen appear on the TV?
then play movies on the lap top and it will appear on the screen? Does sound go through VNC? Or will that require another solution, digital would be best rather then sending a wire to the TV, or some wireless audio set up.

Haven't used vnc in a long time would the screen refresh rate be quick enough if you are just going through the local network on your router?

Reason I don't just use the raspberry to watch movies on the TV is that things like Netflix won't work on it.
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
Re: Easiest cheapest way to get a wireless monitor attached from lap top?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 09:06:55 am »
Chromecast?

There are standalone LAN senders for it as well as the official apps.

Offline onesixright

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 09:13:26 am »
Apple fan  ;) ?

Apple TV works great (most of the times)  :popcorn:.

Offline BeaminTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 09:22:04 am »
Apple fan  ;) ?

No not apple fan, I don't like how they took away the head phone jack and that's why I'm not upgrading my iPhone, even though I never use the head phones I should still have the right. ITS MY RIGHT AS A HUMAN BEING I HATE HAVING TO CHARGE THINGS AND WHAT IF I WANT TO USE MY PHONE AS THE SOURCE TO MY HIFI SYSTEM? Not spending 200 on head phones that will be lost or broken and have lower sound quality then the ones I own! >:D >:D
 :-- >:(

i
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline onesixright

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 09:29:44 am »
Apple fan  ;) ?

No not apple fan, I don't like how they took away the head phone jack and that's why I'm not upgrading my iPhone, even though I never use the head phones I should still have the right. ITS MY RIGHT AS A HUMAN BEING I HATE HAVING TO CHARGE THINGS AND WHAT IF I WANT TO USE MY PHONE AS THE SOURCE TO MY HIFI SYSTEM? Not spending 200 on head phones that will be lost or broken and have lower sound quality then the ones I own! >:D >:D
 :-- >:(

I agree that the removal of the jack is a bit carried away.  But there is a simple adapter you can leave it to to your connector. With a Apple TV you can use it also for streaming audio (connect to your hifi).

Not everything Apple does makes sense or is a step forward. I choose Apple, because I'm done fiddling around with installing, reinstalling and the utter frustration of getting things to simply work (on Windows). Linux is great but on the GUI side lots of apps are not there.

Nothing comes close to Apple. You pay for it. But the rest is utter shit. Apple is only shit 😉

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 09:36:31 am »
Chromecast works great on our tv at home.
Browse Netflix on your computer or phone, find the show, select Chromecast at the destination and off you go.
Not so great for Lan only streaming, if that makes a difference to you. Though attach a pi on another HDMI input if you want that..

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
  • Programmer, DB architect
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 09:55:47 am »
Chromecast today works really well with browser or desktop sharing with minimal lag.

Microsoft also have a (V2) wireless display adapter - not sure if anyone else can chime in with how they are to use - but might be worth a go.

Offline Sudo_apt-get_install_yum

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 10:20:39 am »
I’m not sure if it’s just me but at work in all the conference rooms/break rooms we have chrome casts and apple TV’s. We have close to 10 of each.
I’ve never been a huge fan of apple products and I stick with android, windows and Linux but it’s very frustrating that the chrome casts never work and I have to walk over to my coworker with my tail between my legs and ask him to please hook up his MacBook to the TV since I’m not able to!

And then he sits there all smug and gives me the look that apple is the best. If you read this Mike know that your apples days are counted  >:D

Offline Bratster

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 10:47:28 am »
I've got a few Chromecast at home and never have issues with them.

great for sending YouTube Netflix excetera straight to it.

I don't do it a whole lot but I have cast chrome to it so you can have whatever is in your chrome browser up on the TV.

I have not tried the desktop sharing option yet.

For 35 bucks you can't really go wrong.

Sent from my Fi Moto x4 using Tapatalk

Offline Wan Huang Luo

• Regular Contributor
  • 顽谎骆 from the Shenzhen Market
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 10:05:08 pm »
Its a shame Intel killed off WiDi.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf