Author Topic: Ebay to offer soon a cheap and secure shipping option?  (Read 14641 times)

Offline RickTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Ebay to offer soon a cheap and secure shipping option?
« on: January 02, 2013, 10:31:32 pm »
I have heard today from a seller that soon ebay will ship the items itself (or get them shipped by some company) so the shipping costs will be reduced with no liability for lost packages. Sellers would only need to ship packages to a center in USA and they will be forwarded from there to their final destination.
If true that would be an enourmous advantage for US sellers and good news for us.
Has anyone heard about that?
-----------------------------------------

Actually I may be mistaken, the guy did not mention ebay's name. He only said that he will ship the items to a center for forwarding abroad, without liability for him. I don't understand how that is possible though.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:45:26 am by Rick »

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
Re: Ebay to offer soon a cheap and secure shipping option?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 10:39:02 pm »
Sounds like another monopoly for them to get in on.
No doubt in a few years time the only option will be via eBay at a mandatory $x charge.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 10:47:53 pm »
Sounds like another monopoly for them to get in on.
No doubt in a few years time the only option will be via eBay at a mandatory $x charge.

It might be cheaper for buyers.
Because some sellers want to ship only by UPS or USPS express mail.

Offline jamesp15

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 10:56:13 pm »
Sounds like a load of BS from the seller to me.
If items have to be sent to an ebay "place" to be reshipped from there, that would surely add on a few days to delivery time.   "Someone" would still have to pay to ship it to the ebay place as well as from the ebay place to your doorstep.  Also who would be the actual carrier and deliverer?  likely USPS (in the US) just like before.  I dont see ebay investing in the required manpower, vehicles, planes, etc needed for them to be the actual deliverer.

If it were true, IMO there would no gain, and only losses, to both sellers and buyers. 

Offline Spikee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 11:00:09 pm »
If the shipping from usa would get reasonable to Europe it will be a great success for ebay and dhl , fedex will have to compete again !
There is alot of stuff on ebay that i wont buy just because of the ridiculous shipping rates.

More sales -> more money for ebay that is easy
ebay will  get a big discount just by the enormous volume they will need to process .
They wont do the work them self they just use subcontractors to do it for them. The price advantage will be because of the big volume that needs to be moved continuously.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 11:02:26 pm by Spikee »
Freelance electronics design service, Small batch assembly, Firmware / WEB / APP development. In Shenzhen China

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 11:34:31 pm »
It might result in more auctions with international shipping if the seller can just ship local and doesn't have to worry about customs forms etc (because they're done by ebay itself).

Of course it may also mean that international packages get the correct customs value instead of the usual $30.  So you may end up paying more.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 11:37:02 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 11:49:00 pm »
It might result in more auctions with international shipping if the seller can just ship local and doesn't have to worry about customs forms etc (because they're done by ebay itself).

Of course it may also mean that international packages get the correct customs value instead of the usual $30.  So you may end up paying more.

Customs duties are nothing (20% in our country) compared with the shipping costs offered ($150, $182, etc for a bench multimeter. In another case I wanted to buy a lot of 10 bench multimeters to fix, the guy asked $382 for an item price of $190, the customs duty would be $38 in this case).
Most US sellers declare the correct price to the customs so... For China that may be true though. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 11:53:27 pm by Rick »

Offline JoannaK

• Frequent Contributor
    • Diytao making blog
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 12:56:01 am »
If they get this service to Europe, I'll be delighted. Especially UK area sellers seems to have totally absurd delivery rates and area restrictions.

Which seems quite odd when one compare those to companies like Amazon or Play.com. Those offer stuff to entire europe with reasonable shipping prices.

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 01:51:34 am »
eBay Australia has pretty good integration into our postal service; in addition they offer special discount rates too, that said, without the special discount rates, it's kinda nuts.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 07:24:31 am »
Repeat after me: There is no such thing as a free lunch!

Taking into account what a crocked company eBay/PayPal is, they will use such a service to squeeze more money out of buyers and sellers. They will find borderline criminal ways to make sure you have difficulties to prove you haven't received a shipment and they will hold money indefinitely.

I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 07:43:46 am »
Well, yeah. eBay has basically zero competition in the open market. They only compete a little with companies like Amazon but they still get away with a lot more than they should. How long until we see a genuine competitor to eBay?

Offline aghp

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 08:45:27 am »
Taobao is still growing. 2010 it have nearly 400million members and still fast growing.
It is not so much but not small: Taobao sold an average of 480,000 items per minute in 2010.

There is weak signs it will grow to global and when it come there may be some turn point that eBay is in big troubles. (What year this happend... no one know but "something" is coming).

It may also have some advantages over ebay. But there is also cultural differencies and how you implement in western coutries that you can realtime chat with seller in system. Western sellers want be very tightly unavailable from buyers. There is big cultural differencies between china and asian and western "americanized world".  In China there is still this "family" based culture and old business culture where buyer and seller is face to face. Rests of this can see also in Taobao. Then it is also nearly free from fees. But how long it take to "Asianize" western peoples. Today there is still going on something like "Americanize world"... but how long it continue before it turns - if it turns.

http://www.marbridgeconsulting.com/marbridgedaily/2011-01-07/article/42553/taobao_registered_users_reaches_370_mln
EU: Owon oscilloscopes and in Finland also  some Siglent selected equipments. All with our  lab deep Q.C. in Finland.  Surplus test equipments. Repair service. 40 year experience about electric and electronic repair, service and design. Local Owon SDS-Series  repair service for our customers.

Offline syncytial

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 09:05:41 am »
Yes, this is real. I've got one package enroute to me now.

There are pros and cons...

-  It is described as "International Priority Shipping"
-  Some sellers might be more willing to sell internationally.
-  The process is easy for the seller, and in the single case I have details for, it added only two days at the front end.
-  The seller doesn't know what the "international charges" are.
-  The buyer doesn't know what the additional charges will be until you've already committed to buy. The listed shipping cost is similar to Priority International Mail, but the "import charges" are unknown (*see below)
-  So far, the tracking number can only be checked when logged in to the US eBay site, and the tracking detail is poor.
-  Actual carriers and delivery time/performance is yet to be seen. A delivery ETA is provided, but it may/may not be reliable.
-  The actual customs handling fees and tax/duty etc. were reasonable compared to Postal Mail - not like the outrageous UPS/FedEx fees.
-  Most packages that are sent by Postal Mail don't get assessed and come in without extra charges (in my country) - the new way always has the charges.
-  There is a separate PayPal payment to Pitney Bowes for shipping and customs clearance.

* You'll see "Customs services and international tracking provided" in search results, and within the listing "Import charges  To be provided at checkout".

So... the jury is out. It may be OK, but in my case, I'd prefer simple postal mail for most packages. Some high-value items warrant more costly handling, but I suspect this new process won't help the non-US buyer unless more people sell outside the US because of it. I expect it'll just add net cost.

If anything truly good or truly bad occurs, I'll update the thread.

-  Syncytial.

References:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html

http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/seller-tnc.html

http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

Here's the complete tracking info, so far...

Global tracking #:UPAAA00000000000001 (no, that's not the real number!)
Carrier:Multiple Carriers

Shipped from US Shipping Center to International Destination
Dec-22-12, 21:23 PM, Erlanger

Customs Documentation and Labeling
Dec-22-12, 00:04 AM, Erlanger

Processing at US Shipping Center
Dec-21-12, 18:13 PM, Erlanger

Arrived at US shipping Center
Dec-21-12, 08:48 AM, LATONIA, KY 41015

In Transit-Depart USPS Sort Facility
Dec-21-12, 00:00 AM, CINCINNATI, OH 45235

In Transit-Processed through USPS Sort Facility
Dec-20-12, 12:18 PM, CINCINNATI, OH 45235

ETA is given as Dec. 27 - Jan 14.

PayPal's blurb:

"Explanation of Payments for the Global Shipping Program

The Global Shipping Program is a global shipping solution that helps your international purchases on eBay clear customs and get delivered to you quickly and efficiently.

If your purchase was shipped through the Global Shipping Program, the final price you agreed to pay at the time of purchase included the total price of your item(s) plus shipping & handling and import charges. PayPal then separated this total price into two payments: one to your seller and one to the Program’s technology and shipping provider, Pitney Bowes.

As the customer, you will see these two payments listed separately on your PayPal transactions page, but there is nothing you need to do. These two payments together equal the same total price you agreed to pay at the time of purchase – you were not charged more than this amount.

How Your Total Payment is Divided

The seller receives payment for the price of the item(s) plus the price of shipping to a U.S. shipping center. Pitney Bowes receives payment for import charges and the price of shipping from the U.S. shipping center to the final destination. These two payments together equal the same total price you agreed to pay at the time of purchase.
Below is an example:

Purchase from seller:

$100   – Price of item(s)
$15   – Shipping & handling1 ($5 shipping within U.S. + $10 shipping & handling from U.S. to final destination)
$10   – Import charges2
$125   – Total purchase price you agreed to
Your transaction details in PayPal:

$105   – To Seller ($100 for item + $5 shipping within U.S)
$20   – To Pitney Bowes ($10 Import charges + shipping & handling from U.S. to final destination)
$125   – Total payment (equals total purchase price you agreed to)"

Offline syncytial

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 09:14:01 am »
Just a quick follow-up...

There is a seller currently offering a Fluke 44/100A fuse, as used in many Fluke Meters. The Fuse is priced at $US 25.00 and the shipping to me for the fuse is $US 115.72.

For a fuse...

By First Class Mail, it'd be under $US 2.00.

-  Syncytial.

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 09:43:20 am »
Just a quick follow-up...

There is a seller currently offering a Fluke 44/100A fuse, as used in many Fluke Meters. The Fuse is priced at $US 25.00 and the shipping to me for the fuse is $US 115.72.

For a fuse...

By First Class Mail, it'd be under $US 2.00.

-  Syncytial.

Thanks for this information, it would be even better if we knew what country you are in. U.S.A? I suspect no but can't tell.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 10:33:01 am »
It's really hard to convince some US sellers who have no international shipping experience or have bad experience that USPS priority mail can be fully tracked and they are covered in case the parcel or box is lost. I wonder if it is a lack of good will, and they want to make money out of shipping or make the return of the product more difficult, but for us here USPS priority mail can be tracked all the way down to the addressee's home, especially the more expensive options which start at $39 ($39, $47, $60).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 10:36:06 am by Rick »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 11:19:38 am »
Sounds like eBay will cause more trouble than before. Another improvement in the wrong direction. But I don't care because I boycott them & PayPal already for some while.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 12:17:50 pm »
It's really hard to convince some US sellers who have no international shipping experience or have bad experience that USPS priority mail can be fully tracked and they are covered in case the parcel or box is lost. I wonder if it is a lack of good will, and they want to make money out of shipping or make the return of the product more difficult, but for us here USPS priority mail can be tracked all the way down to the addressee's home, especially the more expensive options which start at $39 ($39, $47, $60).

I've been selling on eBay for years... thousands of shipments per year.

I can tell you from first hand experience that shipping internationally is a huge hassle.  Priority Mail most certainly does not have full tracking, and the seller is not covered in the event the package is lost.  The only service which offers full tracking and insurance is Express Mail, and a flat rate envelope starts at $38USD, and an actual box/package starts around $60USD.

The problem with shipping internationally is that everyone complains about the price... then they complaint that there is no tracking information, then they complain that you didn't falsify the customs documents and lie about the value... then they complain that it's been 2 weeks and they haven't gotten it, so it must have been lost. 

For the seller, you are really hanging your ass out in the wind by shipping internationally.  If the buyer says they didn't get it, you're screwed.  You pretty much either offer them a refund, or they go to PayPal and get a refund anyway.  The only way to fight a refund is if you ship it Global Express Guaranteed which gets a signature from the receiver... and that service costs a lot more than even UPS/FedEx.

It's really difficult for sellers... they are in between a rock and a hard place.  This new eBay service looks really interesting!
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline JuKu

• Frequent Contributor
    • LitePlacer - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 12:46:52 pm »
For me, this would be really great, except:

-  The buyer doesn't know what the additional charges will be until you've already committed to buy.
This is a huge dealkiller, and in principle, makes offering the service in Europe illegal(!). On the other hand, if there is a "no more than" clause it is ok, or
$15   – Shipping & handling1 ($5 shipping within U.S. + $10 shipping & handling from U.S. to final destination)
$10   – Import charges2
...if the charges are this reasonable, I'm fine. Still, I would say they'd better find a way to show the buyer the fees before final commitment.
http://www.liteplacer.com - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine

Offline aghp

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 01:15:56 pm »
For the seller, you are really hanging your ass out in the wind by shipping internationally.  If the buyer says they didn't get it, you're screwed.  You pretty much either offer them a refund, or they go to PayPal and get a refund anyway.  The only way to fight a refund is if you ship it Global Express Guaranteed which gets a signature from the receiver... and that service costs a lot more than even UPS/FedEx.

It's really difficult for sellers... they are in between a rock and a hard place.  This new eBay service looks really interesting!

Yes it is hard work and maybe very difficult specially in some countries.

But we can buy from China and Hk, they do not have shipping troubles and problems.
They do not tell to customers how terrible and difficult is selling to foreign countries.
Why it is so specially difficult in USA.
EU: Owon oscilloscopes and in Finland also  some Siglent selected equipments. All with our  lab deep Q.C. in Finland.  Surplus test equipments. Repair service. 40 year experience about electric and electronic repair, service and design. Local Owon SDS-Series  repair service for our customers.

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 01:43:02 pm »
I sell on eBay (from Hong Kong) too and I hope this is not going to affect me in any way as I'd hate to have to pay eBay/PayPal any more money than I already am!

I usually ship with ordinary Air Mail that doesn't come with any tracking and so far things have mostly turned out alright. For customers who want tracking I'd offer to use registered air mail for an extra $2, though tracking details aren't the best it does offer some very basic tracking.

I am already forced to use a USPS/Hong Kong Post joint service, which is basically a streamlined version of registered air mail, for my US shipments which has added additional costs for my US-bound packages. I haven't passed these costs to my US customers though as I'd like to keep things simple for everyone. The downside though is that I actually literally lose money on some smaller US sales :( This was forced upon me because they started to reduce my quota to list items, but the worst part was they never let me know there was this policy for all US sales until I saw my monthly limits reduced and had to call them to ask! As a seller I've found eBay to be a pain to deal with :(
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:44:59 pm by iloveelectronics »
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 02:05:02 pm »

Yes it is hard work and maybe very difficult specially in some countries.

But we can buy from China and Hk, they do not have shipping troubles and problems.
They do not tell to customers how terrible and difficult is selling to foreign countries.
Why it is so specially difficult in USA.

Your premise is incorrect (that China/HK do not have shipping troulbes).   I see a lot of HK/China vendors being "very clear" in their eBay descriptions... and I've heard the same sob stories I have that tells me they have the same problems as anyone else with international shipments.

I suppose for some Chinese vendors, the stuff is so cheap that they maybe don't mind losing out a percentage of their sales to fraud/returns/missing/scrapped stuff?  I also find that "wheeling and dealing" is more culturally accepted than in the USA, so the incessant requests to assist buyers commit tax fraud may be less of a problem for them?
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 02:09:03 pm »
if this only affects US sellers, ie their merchandises will be sent to central ebay facility for intl shipping, i think its good since some great stuffs are from US, but we buyers from another planet will be charged by some razor blade sellers with high USPS cost, or they wont ship intl at all. but if it affects china or hongkong sellers, that their merchandises will need to go to US and then slingshot back to my place here, then its not good.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 02:18:30 pm »

I've been selling on eBay for years... thousands of shipments per year.

I can tell you from first hand experience that shipping internationally is a huge hassle.  Priority Mail most certainly does not have full tracking, and the seller is not covered in the event the package is lost.  The only service which offers full tracking and insurance is Express Mail, and a flat rate envelope starts at $38USD, and an actual box/package starts around $60USD.

The problem with shipping internationally is that everyone complains about the price... then they complaint that there is no tracking information, then they complain that you didn't falsify the customs documents and lie about the value... then they complain that it's been 2 weeks and they haven't gotten it, so it must have been lost. 

This is true above $250 may be, because then you need the signature.
But so far I have ALWAYS been able to track my items (with priority mail), first on ebay and as soon as they arrived here, on the Turkish postal website.
I can even tell the date of the delivery with +/- 12 hours precision.  That may not be true for every country, but here it is.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 02:22:36 pm by Rick »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 02:29:31 pm »
I also find that "wheeling and dealing" is more culturally accepted than in the USA, so the incessant requests to assist buyers commit tax fraud may be less of a problem for them?

You do not need to request, it is automatic.
They write a percentage of the price without anybody asking them and they win.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf