Author Topic: facebook Use a phone to verify your account  (Read 2569 times)

Offline sony mavicaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
facebook Use a phone to verify your account
« on: November 13, 2017, 07:59:38 am »
i don't own a mobile phone and never will because i have no use for one but now im unable to use my facebook without Using a phone to verify my account :(

so what can i do
MORE POWER!

Offline woody

• Frequent Contributor
Re: facebook Use a phone to verify your account
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 08:09:35 am »
Count your blessings?  >:D

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M, Electro Detective

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 08:14:19 am »
find the oldest phone you can, one well pre android/iphone, throw in a $2 prepaid sim, and verify with that?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 08:52:57 am »
find the oldest phone you can, one well pre android/iphone, throw in a $2 prepaid sim, and verify with that?

Just be careful that it operates on a network that is still functioning.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 10:23:14 am »
Its not uncommon for internet sites and services that use 'verify by phone' to fail to verify if you use a 'burner' phone i.e using a prepayed SIM that hasn't been registered with your personal details.   They are looking for traceability so they don't get left holding the baby if subpoenaed by Law Enforcment or three letter agencies.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 10:56:09 am »
I don't use Facebook (for very good reason) but most of those sites like Google, Hotmail etc... will either give you the option of an SMS or a voice phone call which will read out a verification code. See if you have the option of providing a phone number to receive such a call.

Its not uncommon for internet sites and services that use 'verify by phone' to fail to verify if you use a 'burner' phone i.e using a prepayed SIM that hasn't been registered with your personal details.

Companies don't have that kind of access to account holder's details. Provided that number hasn't been used several times over a certain time frame, they will allow it. Companies have no way of verifying whether the number provided matches a particular person. There is really no way to determine a "burner" phone account from any other.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 10:58:47 am by Halcyon »

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 12:02:39 pm »
It depends - there is a standard for 3rd party sites and services to request the carrier to verify identity.
https://www.gsma.com/identity/mobile-connect

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 12:31:30 pm »
Could be worse.  I couldn't sign into Google's 'find my phone' because it wanted to text a code to my (missing) phone to allow me to sign in, someone didn't think that through.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 10:54:24 pm »
If you are concerned about data aggregation but still want to use FB, then at the very least don't combine your FB logon use with logons to other sites. Keep website logons separate. Make that the minimum you will do.

Brilliant advice everyone should follow! One service, one account.

I know it's tempting to "make it easy" by logging in with credentials from other services, but all you're doing is sharing more of your personal information, habits, etc... to third parties. They are making money off you. When it comes to things like social media, you are the product, not the customer.

The following users thanked this post: noidea, abraxa

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf