Author Topic: FTDI FT232RL BoB  (Read 1332 times)

Offline metrologistTopic starter

• Super Contributor
FTDI FT232RL BoB
« on: July 08, 2016, 07:33:16 pm »
I have this BoB with a male pin header so I can use it on my breadboard for serial and USB based power (so convenient). I was having trouble programming my "breadboard" Arduino and I think the BoB has failed. I tried a loop-back test and there is no return, and the TX is line is high with just a few short low pulses when sending data. Both TX/RX LEDs light when sending data, however.

Unless I gamble with assured eBay fakes, are there any reasonably priced alternatives?

Some other info - other FT232RL chips I have work, and I looked in the device manager for the failing device and seemed to have the correct device ID (6001?), and the driver I'm using is a vintage 2012. This used to work fine, so I think the chip died.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: FTDI FT232RL BoB
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 07:36:18 pm »
The chip could have died. One of my customers used to go through FTDI boards like a kid goes through candy even though there where 1k  Ohm series resistors on the pins. Nowadays they use a Silabs CP210x based design (though with smaller series resistors and TVS diodes) which keeps working.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline metrologistTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: FTDI FT232RL BoB
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 07:54:22 pm »
I haven't been able to find anything in the same form factor (ports and pinout) since I use them on pro mini as well (not even in CH340G). Why are they putting the USB-A connector instead of the USB mini?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf