General > General Technical Chat

Function Generator Opinion?

(1/2) > >>

Strube09:
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a function generator and came across this one:

http://www.mastechpowersupply.com/function-generator/5mhz-sweep-function-generator-/-signal-generator-/-frequency-counter/prod_53.html

I haven’t heard of the brand, but it seems to have a lot of function and a low price... maybe that should be a sign enough to stay away from this.

Just looking for your opinions.

Thanks

DJPhil:
I've run into that brand name before while looking for soldering irons . . .

Hakko 936 (known and respected)
Quakko 936 (scroll down, sparklies! wtf?)

I just kind of assumed they were low grade knockoffs, though I could be wrong. I remember the name because it was hilarious.
I can't seem to find a company website with a little work. If it were me, I'd keep shopping.

logictom:
Damn, my soldering iron never came with any sparkles :(
Maybe it helps with keeping the magic smoke in??

Have you considered Dave's 10MHz DDS over on altzone? I'm in the process of acquiring the parts to play with ;)

eswets:
I bought a cheaper function generator about the same price and it will work for what I need, but Im guessing it will be junk in a few years.  They work ok, but they are built like crap.  The first day the knob fell off and the pot the knob is attached to, is not attached to anything so I can feel the whole thing moving.  I will not buy a off brand cheapo again.

mlaargh:

--- Quote from: logictom on April 12, 2010, 06:22:47 pm ---Damn, my soldering iron never came with any sparkles :(
Maybe it helps with keeping the magic smoke in??

Have you considered Dave's 10MHz DDS over on altzone? I'm in the process of acquiring the parts to play with ;)

--- End quote ---

I've been considering that one as well.  A shame about the MAX038 being discontinued... I'm having a bit of trouble convincing myself to pay $35(US) for one on eBay - Which seems to be really the only source for it these days. If anyone knows of any other sources for that part, I'm all ears!  I've also been sniffing around some manufacturer websites (LT, Analog Devices, etc.) to find something similar, but so far, no dice.
I'd be open to suggestions regarding that as well. My only function generator at the moment is an HP 200CD... Not very feature rich, to say the least - haha.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version