General > General Technical Chat

getting something patented

(1/5) > >>

Simon:
Right, it's a long time off but I'm working on something and well, I think it is pretty unique, fairly niche and it may be worth something to me in the long run. Say I wanted to get it patented, what does it involve ? how much does it cost.

Basically I don't want people copying my design

tecman:
In the US, MINIMUM, I repeat MINIMUM, $ 5K and 2 years.  More like $ 10K and 4 years average.

Paul

Simon:
oh, looks like I best take the risk

Rhythmtech:
To apply on your own is not super expensive according to the patent office in the US. However, from what I can gather the costs of legally defending a patent in the US generally null the ability of an independent small inventor to breach most of the already established markets. Unless they are able to do so fast enough to make enough money to be able to defend the patent.  Other opportunities would be niche applications where the market is not of large enough to get attention from any company with muscle.  Something else to consider is that knowing how to build something doesn't mean you'll know how to license it. There is no law enforcement agency actively seeking out patent infringement, so that would also fall on your shoulders. If you fail to defend your patent you basically lose it, and have just freely granted the world access to you invention.  Last but not least, when you patent an invention you are also publicly disclosing how the device works in great detail, which could just give other inventors a good idea to do the same thing a different way and if they are better at marketing you may get nothing from your patent (Microsoft's tactics ring any bells?).

Simon:

--- Quote from: Rhythmtech on August 20, 2010, 04:21:21 pm ---To apply on your own is not super expensive according to the patent office in the US. However, from what I can gather the costs of legally defending a patent in the US generally null the ability of an independent small inventor to breach most of the already established markets. Unless they are able to do so fast enough to make enough money to be able to defend the patent.  Other opportunities would be niche applications where the market is not of large enough to get attention from any company with muscle.  Something else to consider is that knowing how to build something doesn't mean you'll know how to license it. There is no law enforcement agency actively seeking out patent infringement, so that would also fall on your shoulders. If you fail to defend your patent you basically lose it, and have just freely granted the world access to you invention.  Last but not least, when you patent an invention you are also publicly disclosing how the device works in great detail, which could just give other inventors a good idea to do the same thing a different way and if they are better at marketing you may get nothing from your patent (Microsoft's tactics ring any bells?).

--- End quote ---

All very true, is is a small market so I suppose no one is going to actually go to the trouble of duplicating it

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version