Author Topic: ha ha haaaa Maplin have a forum  (Read 14854 times)

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
Re: ha ha haaaa Maplin have a forum
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2011, 06:09:00 am »
The kind of elecronics stores like Maplin in the UK or Conrad here in Germany have all had to change their product range away from electronics towards selling all kind  of crap to stay in business for two reasons, the Internet has become a very powerfull competitor and the classic electronics hobbyist is practically gone.

The main reason was the rise of the home computer and later the PC. Many electronic hobbyists moved to home computers when they started to become popular, and many kids these days go straight to the PC.

The Internet later just tought the remaining customers that they no longer have to live with the local monopoly of the electronics shop. The Internet shops are the logical consequence of the electronic shops not going with the times. I remember very well that the electronics shops from my youth didn't have and didn't want to sell home computers. One was even so stubborn to refuse to sell parts like CPUs, RAM, EEPROMs or bus drivers, to those who want to do some work on their home computers.

And like many others I don't miss the times when the local electronic shops had the monopole and dictated what parts you shall have and what parts just didn't exist. And when they charged you extra for a xeroxed copy of a datasheet.

Still today the local shops haven't got their basics right. The ones in my area are still dark, dirty and dusty places with arrogant shop owners who still after all that Internet revolution thing think they can dictate what hobby electronics is and what isn't.

In the last ten years many independent small electronics shops had to close because of that

In my area the small electronic shops could prevent going out of business by

(a) cleaning their dirty filthy shops (regular use of a duster and a vacuum cleaner would be a start, putting some fresh paint on the walls would be a good idea, too),

(b) fixing or installing proper lightning in the shops so you don't think you ended up in a '70th adult entertainment shop,

(c) specializing on service,

(d) rethink their price calculation,

(e) rethink their opening times (closing at 16:00 means potential customers have to take some time of from the job to go there), and

(f) adding modern stuff to their offerings.

and the big names have responded by selling everything, even if it's got nothing to do with electronics.

Which is actually a chance for the small shops, by specializing on electronics.

The electronics counter has been moved to the darkest corner

They can do that, because the small electronic shops look even worse. If small shops would get their act together (see above), they could beat this large shops by looking proper and offering special services.

But I see small shops who seem to have come kind of contest who can have the darkest, dirtiest place with the rudest, incompetent people (often the shop owner).

and if they've got the thing you want in stock they have prices that make you faint.

Same for small shops here.

In addition they generally seem to employ people that have no clue about electronics whatsoever.

Same for the small shops here, with one exception.

I've been working in the business for the last 12 years and it is becoming harder and harder to keep business running. A small shop like ours can't stock all the gazillions of parts a big company like Digikey or Farnell carry.

But Farnell doesn't sell to non-businesses in Germany. So you could act as an agent for your customers. You don't have a special part? You offer to order it for your customer, and deliver it to his house (partner with a local Pizza service ...).
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2011, 06:13:19 am »
I can just imagine a store owner getting slapped for asking: "would you like pizza and fries with that ?"

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2011, 05:42:26 pm »
What I don't understand is why Maplin have ramped up their prices so much. I accept there's an extra cost for running a store with till staff, security etc. but that's not gone up any more than any other shop in the last 15 years and the cost of the components themselves has being falling.

I can't believe how much Maplin are charging for 0.6W 1% metal film resistors, 24p each!
http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?menuno=12459&page=1

Farnel sell them for £0.054, £0.0648 each, there's a minimum order of 50 but that's still only £3.24 so it's hardly a problem.
http://uk.farnell.com/vishay-bc-components/mrs25000c3651fct00/resistor-mrs25-1-3k65/dp/9467882

RS are cheaper, £0.044 each, £0.0528 including VAT, minimum order of 25 so the minimum price is £1.32 including VAT
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=6834196

Rapid are the cheapest I could find, £0.015 each, £0.018 including VAT, minimum order of 100 but £1.80 isn't going to break the bank.

I'd rather Maplin stop selling single 0.6W metal film resistors, even Tandy didn't do that, maybe £1 for a packet of 10 resistors, still expensive but not a total rip-off.

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2011, 07:51:33 pm »
Yeah, 24p per resistor is a shameless rip-off.

For example I buy 1% 0207 resistors for about 0.006EUR each at a quantity of 1000 pieces. I do sell them for 0.10EUR qty 1-9  or for 0.08EUR qty 10-99 and for 0.04EUR from 100 pieces.
You wouldn't believe how many people come in asking for just one bloody resistor. Strictly speaking selling one resistor is madness, but I do it and people have to accept the higher price for that.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2011, 09:34:25 pm »
well my mention of cheaper prices elsewhere in the SSD thread was removed (but not the whole post)

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2011, 10:36:44 pm »
Yeah, 24p per resistor is a shameless rip-off.

For example I buy 1% 0207 resistors for about 0.006EUR each at a quantity of 1000 pieces. I do sell them for 0.10EUR qty 1-9  or for 0.08EUR qty 10-99 and for 0.04EUR from 100 pieces.
You wouldn't believe how many people come in asking for just one bloody resistor. Strictly speaking selling one resistor is madness, but I do it and people have to accept the higher price for that.
But you're not comparing like with like, that's SMT.

well my mention of cheaper prices elsewhere in the SSD thread was removed (but not the whole post)
Can you blame them? They don't want to invest money in running server for it to be used to advertise competing products - they warned you that's treated as spam in the rules.

All I can say is good on them for not removing the whole post. I suppose if you want to help someone who enquires about a product but you know of a cheaper one elsewhere, it's better to send them a PM but there's no guarantee it won't get intercepted.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 10:44:39 pm by Hero999 »

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2011, 11:02:19 pm »
Not true. 0207 refers to this type of resistor:

http://de.farnell.com/multicomp/mf25-10k/widerstand-0-25w-1-10k-0207/dp/9341110

@Simon: Directing someone to another seller on Maplins forum is not on. That's like telling another customer to go to a competitor in front of store staff. That's hurting business and understandably that is frowned upon.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 11:13:53 pm by david77 »

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2011, 06:59:49 am »

@Simon: Directing someone to another seller on Maplins forum is not on. That's like telling another customer to go to a competitor in front of store staff. That's hurting business and understandably that is frowned upon.

I did not say where I was going or post any link at all, I just stated that I was not going to get them from maplin as I could get them elsewhere at 25% the price (and no that is not an exaggeration !)

Of course the whole post was not removed, I'm one of the most active people on there, I'm sure I'm been talked about a lot behind closed doors, I've not been nasty or tried to cause trouble (I never would) but I've been blunt in my replies.

As far as i can tell there is no PM system. It is with great reluctance that I use this word in a context I'd never like to but i do have to say that the way it is run is a tad.... Nazi ! you cannot do a lot but what they want you to and that way is boring. If they are trying to make up a fan base and create a devoted community they never will, not like that.

Oh and they really think that in the near future we will be transferring KW of power wirelessly.... yea dream on my little craplins
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 07:05:15 am by Simon »

Offline mkissin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2011, 08:41:46 am »
Oh and they really think that in the near future we will be transferring KW of power wirelessly.... yea dream on my little craplins

I suppose it depends on what specific technology you're talking about here, but wireless power transfer is quite achievable. I know for a fact that 7kW over an air gap of about 150mm can be achieved, while staying within international safety standards for magnetic field exposure. That's plenty to charge even a very powerful car in reasonable time....a Rolls Royce Phantom, for example:

http://livingproper.com/2011/03/rolls-royce-selects-haloipt%E2%80%99s-wireless-charging-systems-for-its-green-luxury-car/

edit: spelling

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2011, 10:02:05 am »
Not true. 0207 refers to this type of resistor:

http://de.farnell.com/multicomp/mf25-10k/widerstand-0-25w-1-10k-0207/dp/9341110
That's still not a fair like with like comparison: those resistors are 0.25W and the ones in Maplin's are 0.6W.

Rapid sell >10R 0.25W metal film resistors for £0.95 for a pack of 100, £1.14 including VAT.
http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Resistors-Potentiometer/Metal-Film-Resistors/MR25-0.25W-1-Metal-film-resistors/29791

If you want cheap get crappy 5% carbon film for £0.60 including VAT for a pack of 100.
http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Resistors-Potentiometer/Metal-Film-Resistors/MR25-0.25W-1-Metal-film-resistors/29791

As far as i can tell there is no PM system.
No surprise there and if you posted your email, it would probably get deleted.

It is with great reluctance that I use this word in a context I'd never like to but i do have to say that the way it is run is a tad.... Nazi ! you cannot do a lot but what they want you to and that way is boring. If they are trying to make up a fan base and create a devoted community they never will, not like that.
Relax, this isn't Electrotech online.

I suppose it depends on what specific technology you're talking about here, but wireless power transfer is quite achievable. I know for a fact that 7kW over an air gap of about 150mm can be achieved, while staying within international safety standards for magnetic field exposure. That's plenty to charge even a very powerful car in reasonable time....a Rolls Royce Phantom, for example:

http://livingproper.com/2011/03/rolls-royce-selects-haloipt%E2%80%99s-wireless-charging-systems-for-its-green-luxury-car/
7kW over a 150mm gap is hardly anything new.

Offline mkissin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2011, 10:27:49 am »
7kW over a 150mm gap is hardly anything new.

No, and if you read carefully you'll note that I didn't say it was. I was merely pointing out that wireless power is a Real Thing.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2011, 10:39:40 am »
If you put it like that wireless power has been around since the discovery of electricity but it isn't what most people think of when they hear the words wireless power.

Offline mkissin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2011, 10:56:18 am »
I don't follow you. What would you say "most people" think of when they hear the words wireless power?

I was just giving a practical example of a system which exists today, and which transmits power wirelessly over a reasonably significant air gap.

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2011, 11:56:18 am »
That's still not a fair like with like comparison: those resistors are 0.25W and the ones in Maplin's are 0.6W.

Ok, it seems I haven't been quite clear enough. In my above example I meant metall film resistors 0,6W 1% type 0207, exactly what Maplin are selling. The Farnell link was just to make clear what I meant with 0207, that it's not SMT.
I think you didn't get my point. Even 1,00EUR is too much for 100 resistors of that type in a wholesale context. I wanted to make clear what resistors in wholesale actually cost compared to what the retailers charge.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2011, 01:25:27 pm »
I don't follow you. What would you say "most people" think of when they hear the words wireless power?

I was just giving a practical example of a system which exists today, and which transmits power wirelessly over a reasonably significant air gap.
I mean on the Maplin forum there's all sorts of crazy talk about solar panels on the moon beaming wireless power to earth and no more 230V 13A sockets - these are the sorts of things most people think of when you mention wireless power.

Anyway, I've actually found some good component deals on Maplin.

A dual miniture potentiometer is only £0.99 which is cheaper than Farnell, RS Components and Rapid.  It's probably a mistake in the pricing as it's the same as a single potentiometer.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/dual-miniature-potentiometers-2204

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf