Author Topic: Hilarious video (NSFW)- Richard Dawkins reads hate mail from religious nutjobs  (Read 25132 times)

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
"You are the The fart of God" is my favorite - would make a good t-shirt

First one :
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline netdudeuk

• Frequent Contributor
There's at least one more like that where he's sat in a lounge reading them out to a couple of women, maybe his wife and mum ?

LMAO

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
Brilliant :)
Loved the "biutch" (! biatch), gonna add that one to the armoury :P

His voice sounds so similar to Oliver Postgate, makes it even funnier thinking of The Clangers.
"What's that baby clanger?"
"hoo hee hhoooo hooo hoohee hoo"
"yes, some silly humans think there is a magical god"
"heeee, hoo hoo heee hoo hee hooo"
"Oh yes indeed, but we must never let them know of the soup dragon or they will never stop fighting"

Sorry, an episode not made yet :P
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:14:32 pm by Yago »

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win"

Mohandas Gandhi

To be fair I am not sure if we are laughing at the good Dr Dawkins or laughing with him. If those messages expose the calibre of his opposition then I do not think that he has much to worry about  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD

P.S. Dave, how about doing a similar video (maybe after Sagan has gone to bed).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:28:29 pm by German_EE »
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
LMFAO...

Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
There's a thought, Fart of God, FOG, so THAT'S where fog comes from!
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
There's a thought, Fart of God, FOG, so THAT'S where fog comes from!

:-DD
Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Hadn't seen this one, hilarious!  :-DD

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
Greetings EEVBees:

--While I would not disagree with Dawkins position on the Supernatural, I also find humor in his utterances, especially when he dons his tinfoil hat.

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2007/10/07/dawkins-walked-right-into-that-one/

“When you think about how fantastically successful the Jewish lobby has been, though, in fact, they are less numerous I am told – religious Jews anyway – than atheists and [yet they] more or less monopolise American foreign policy as far as many people can see. So if atheists could achieve a small fraction of that influence, the world would be a better place." The implication (or outright statement) that Jews somehow control American foreign policy (or have undue power) is a staple of anti-Semitic and Holocaust denial websites everywhere."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/09/richard-dawkins-pedophilia_n_3895514.html

"He said the most notorious cases of pedophilia involve rape and even murder and should not be bracketed with what he called "just mild touching up."

"Evabody gotta be some place"
Yacov Moshe Maza - Jackie Mason
1931  -

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
Greetings EEVBees:

--While I would not disagree with Dawkins position on the Supernatural, I also find humor in his utterances, especially when he dons his tinfoil hat.

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2007/10/07/dawkins-walked-right-into-that-one/

“When you think about how fantastically successful the Jewish lobby has been, though, in fact, they are less numerous I am told – religious Jews anyway – than atheists and [yet they] more or less monopolise American foreign policy as far as many people can see. So if atheists could achieve a small fraction of that influence, the world would be a better place." The implication (or outright statement) that Jews somehow control American foreign policy (or have undue power) is a staple of anti-Semitic and Holocaust denial websites everywhere."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/09/richard-dawkins-pedophilia_n_3895514.html

"He said the most notorious cases of pedophilia involve rape and even murder and should not be bracketed with what he called "just mild touching up."

"Evabody gotta be some place"
Yacov Moshe Maza - Jackie Mason
1931  -

Best Regards
Clear Ether

It always makes sense to consider the biases and position of someone whenever they say something, whether they are making silly statements about pedophilia or whether they are making silly statements about electric vehicles, etc.

Dawkins work on science and religion is irrefutable.  He's also got a point on the success of the Jewish lobby in the USA to have such a huge effect despite their small numbers.  To compare that (true) statement with holocaust denial or anti-semitism is idiotic.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
Dawkins work on science and religion is irrefutable.  He's also got a point on the success of the Jewish lobby in the USA to have such a huge effect despite their small numbers.  To compare that (true) statement with holocaust denial or anti-semitism is idiotic.

Errr, he made a general and bombastic assertion that they (Jews) "monopolise American foreign policy". There is a big difference between that and merely stating that the "Jewish lobby"* has been, selectively, demonstrably effective in campaigning in its own interests.

If the legitimacy of pointing out the stinking mire that Dawkins has so unintelligently dipped his big toe into here is lost on you, then either your perspective on both contemporary and historical anti-Semitism is somewhat lacking or you are just intractably dim.

* though even that is arguably a tenuous generalization.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 09:01:24 am by GK »
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
Greetings EEVBees:

--I should have added in my previous post that anyone threatening Professor Dawkins should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, and I am willing to bet that the vast majority of Christians and Jews condemn it as well. Dawkins writing on Evolution, as far as I know, is well thought of by his peers. And, while I certainly do not blame him for firing back at the literal minded fundamentalists, I think he makes a mistake when he paints with too broad a brush and insults people who have not insulted him, and who do not mean him any harm.

"Bombing Afghanistan back into the Stone Age' was quite a favourite headline for some wobbly liberals. The slogan does all the work. But an instant's thought shows that Afghanistan is being, if anything, bombed out of the Stone Age." 
Christopher Hitchens  1949  -  2011

Best Regards
Clear Ether
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 03:57:29 pm by SgtRock »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
Hilarious video! Good to see his sense of humor.

I read Dawkins "The Selfish Gene" as a course assignment while a graduate student in neuroscience in the 1980s. Despite already having a degree in biology, I didn't truly understand evolution until reading that book.  Dawkins work and writing as an evolutionary biologist is outstanding and as such it's not surprising that creationists would find him to be a threat.  I haven't read any of his athiest/anti-religion writings but I can imagine that must draw even more ire.  Of course once you go into the realm of religion, you're no longer in the world of science or the physical world, so you can't expect reason or objective arguments to carry much weight on either side.

I agree the whole anti-semite thing is a red-herring, just a backhanded attempt to tear him down, instead of dealing directly with his arguments.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:14:14 am by mtdoc »

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
I agree the whole anti-semite thing is a red-herring, just a backhanded attempt to tear him down, instead of dealing directly with his arguments.

Oh rubbish. His comment in question was just plain stupid and indefensible and this fact has nothing at all to do with the veracity or otherwise of his science writings or the abject stupidity of various types of religious fundamentalists. That blog article linked to by SgtRock is in fact an articulate and reasonably well written piece by someone hardly unsympathetic towards Dawkin's agenda - and it deals with his argument(s) directly and comprehensively. Here is the link again, I suggest that you read it:

Though, IMO,  the real, pertinent question here, doesn't concern Richards demonstrated superficiality in general when it comes to questions of politics, but why so many of those who pretentiously presume to reside on the "critical thinking" end of the spectrum are in fact so quick to uncritically defend him, no matter what bull crap (that hardly helps his cause) comes out of his mouth.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 04:28:50 am by GK »
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor

Oh rubbish. His comment in question was just plain stupid and indefensible and this fact has nothing at all to do with the veracity or otherwise of his science writings or the abject stupidity of various types of religious fundamentalists. That blog article linked to by SgtRock is in fact an articulate and reasonably well written piece by someone hardly unsympathetic towards Dawkin's agenda - and it deals with his argument(s) directly and comprehensively. Here is the link again, I suggest that you read it:

Though, IMO,  the real, pertinent question here, doesn't concern Richards demonstrated superficiality in general when it comes to questions of politics, but why so many of those who pretentiously presume to reside on the "critical thinking" end of the spectrum are in fact so quick to uncritically defend him, no matter what bull crap (that hardly helps his cause) comes out of this mouth.

I am not going to enter into what is becoming a political debate, but I would like to add to what GK said (note: I am certainly not attempting to speak for GK here!!!).

It might not help his scientific cause, but the publicity probably still sells books.
Even the most brilliant mind can hold the irrational, such as greed.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
I can highly recommend The God Delusion in audio book forum, spoken by Dawkins himself  :-+

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor

It always makes sense to consider the biases and position of someone whenever they say something, whether they are making silly statements about pedophilia or whether they are making silly statements about electric vehicles, etc.

Good idea. Your lefty bias indeed explain the bigotry below.

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
Greetings EEVBees:

--I would like to point out that the last quote attributed to me, is actually, a quote of Dawkins, with included comment, from an article about Dawkins, which I provided. I quoted it because I thought the good prof. was full of it. Whether you like Israel and/or America and their foreign policies is your business, but I hardly think that Netanyahu or Obama would agree that Israel dominates US foreign policy.

--This is not the first time I have provided a quote and a source for it, only to have the provided quote represented as if I had said it and not the author. This was the case when I provided an article about payback time for Canadian PV Solar installations. After which I was accused of buying a PV Solar installation in Canada, I live in Florida. I was told I was taking a 2x4 and barbedwire UTA, for being so stupid. That part of the post has since been taken down for obscenity. But I recommend the gentle reader check closely when folks are quoted in a clearly hostile manner to avoid confusion as to who said what.

--To our esteemed moderators: Please consider dealing with name calling, by dealing with the name callers and not by locking the thread. And when locking a thread, please say why if possible. In any case it is your call, and I thank you for your efforts, which come out of your spare time.

--For those of you interested in Evolution, I also recommend the works of Steven J. Gould. Gould is much less polemic and was not interested in eugenics.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/aug/21/richard-dawkins-immoral-not-to-abort-a-downs-syndrome-foetus

"It's like religion. Heresy, in science, is thought of as a bad thing, whereas it should be just the opposite"
Thomas Gold 1920 - 2004

Best Regards
Clear Ether
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 03:42:22 pm by SgtRock »

Offline KD0CAC John

• Frequent Contributor
You guys haven't seen ?
The Family Guy - creation

Personally my view of religion has changed over time , both my view & religion .
In the early times of religion = is the human mind / ignorance trying to explain the universe .
As time went on , the insanity of greed / corruption has used the ignorance to control & profit from the even more ignorant .

Freedom of religion , the other side of that is , freedom from religion .
Don't ask , don't tell ;) 

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor

Oh rubbish. His comment in question was just plain stupid and indefensible and this fact has nothing at all to do with the veracity or otherwise of his science writings or the abject stupidity of various types of religious fundamentalists.\this mouth.

I think you misunderstood me. I agree with you. I was not referring to the science blog article but to the poster here who brought up the issue.

Offline ovnr

• Frequent Contributor
  • Lurker
I get misquoted a lot!

I'd suggest putting your quotes inside quote tags. It makes it more obvious that you're quoting someone.

(Also, what is it with the frustratingly silly format of your posts? This isn't 1995, BBSes and 56k modems are no longer a thing, and random vaguely relevant quotes in your "signature" feel forced.)

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
Dear Ovnr:

--Very funny, a direct quote from a posting where the words "I get misquoted a lot" never appear. In this case I was not quoting an EEVBlog poster but an article, so your advice would not apply. You will note that most authors still use quotation marks, IE "". Nonetheless your fraudulent quote made me laugh. I am afraid I did not understand your point about BBS and modems.

I take it all back, I confess I lied.

"That's the thing about people who think they hate computers. What they really hate is lousy programmers."
Laurence "Larry" van Cott Niven
1938  - 

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
The comment by Sgt Rock about Jewish control of US foreign policy deserves a detailed reply, I shall however be very careful here as a) it is drifting off-topic and b) this is a very hot issue.

There are between 5.5 million and 6 million Jews in the USA according to various sources including the US Census, this represents about 1,7% of the US population. If a US politician were to suggest that the US cease or decrease its support of Israel it's virtually guaranteed that they would lose about 1,7% of their voters in favor of the opposition. No politician can afford to do this, therefore all *** US politicians support Israel.

The connection between Richard Dawkins and US/Israeli politics? No idea.

*** I am willing to be proved wrong here.

Warren Buffett

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
Dear German_EE:

--Please note that the entire extent of my comment was "--While I would not disagree with Dawkins position on the Supernatural, I also find humor in his utterances, especially when he dons his tinfoil hat." Everything else in my post was from the sources quoted. I am afraid I cannot endorse your statement that all US politicians support Israel.

"Does not squirrel crack nuts on bough of oak tree."
Lao Fu  1411  -  1623

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Online electr_peter

• Supporter
"Bombing Afghanistan back into the Stone Age' was quite a favourite headline for some wobbly liberals. The slogan does all the work. But an instant's thought shows that Afghanistan is being, if anything, bombed out of the Stone Age." 
Christopher Hitchens  1949  -  2011
Two brothers, not too far apart  - one is a defender of religion and the other was a defender of state religion.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf