Author Topic: Honeywell furnace flame detector  (Read 3458 times)

Offline AlbertL

• Regular Contributor
Re: Honeywell furnace flame detector
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2021, 09:32:18 pm »
It might be by state here in the US.

As mentioned, there are online dealers that sell boilers and other gas oil fired devices that don’t appear to have any licensing requirements, I’ve had no issues buying boilers in PA. Not shilling for them but I buy often from SupplyHouse dot com as service and prices are great and UPS ground has stuff here next day. Ordered a new ignition transformer for my oil burner last Friday at 5pm,  they said it would be delivered Monday. UPS dropped it off Saturday due to the holiday work load. Gotta luv it when online commerce works well.

The walk-up plumbing and hvac supply houses can all go suck an egg, they’ve done it to themselves by gouging non-trade walk-ins. My local Ace hardware has 90% of what I need most of the time and their prices are in line with the big box stores so that’s where most of my local biz goes, to someone in my community that I know and he employs 20+ full time people. The odd ball stuff goes to the specialty online retailers.

The traditional supply houses don't want DIY business.  Or more precisely, their contractor customers don't want them selling to DIYs.  They're obsessed with it - I used to read some trade publications, where contractors would talk about not doing business with supply houses that "sell to anyone", and suppliers would smugly boast about turning away "home-moaners" who showed up at the counter.

I've bought parts from SupplyHouse.com and have been very pleased with their service.  But for buying equipment, my concern as a DIY is getting warranty parts and support.  Online vendors point out that manufacturers' warranties require installation by a licensed contractor and advise buyers to hire one.  I suspect this limitation could be challenged in court, since merely being licensed does not guarantee that the equipment was selected and installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2021, 09:44:59 pm »
The traditional supply houses don't want DIY business.  Or more precisely, their contractor customers don't want them selling to DIYs.  They're obsessed with it - I used to read some trade publications, where contractors would talk about not doing business with supply houses that "sell to anyone", and suppliers would smugly boast about turning away "home-moaners" who showed up at the counter.

I've bought parts from SupplyHouse.com and have been very pleased with their service.  But for buying equipment, my concern as a DIY is getting warranty parts and support.  Online vendors point out that manufacturers' warranties require installation by a licensed contractor and advise buyers to hire one.  I suspect this limitation could be challenged in court, since merely being licensed does not guarantee that the equipment was selected and installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

All they've done by having that attitude is ensure that I will never give them a cent. Now that there are online suppliers that will sell to anybody I'm happy to do business with those places.

The warranty is something worth considering and a friend of mine brought that up, then he got a quote to have a mini split installed and realized we could install it ourselves, screw it up, throw it all away and buy everything again, then have that break down and throw it away and buy a whole new one yet again and STILL come out ahead vs what he was quoted so whatever. If my furnace that I installed ever breaks I don't care about the warranty, I can buy a whole new furnace and still still save money. Really though it isn't even about saving money, even if there were no savings at all I'd still do it just to screw those smug assholes out of the profit they feel so entitled to.

I've also bought from supplyhouse.com, they're great for small parts and accessories, but there are other dealers that have a much better selection of big stuff like furnaces, air handlers and condensing units.

Offline AlbertL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2021, 09:56:39 pm »
Agree 100%.   And as far as the legitimate concern about the manufacturer having to do warranty replacements on equipment damaged by improper installation - that could be addressed by requiring an inspection of the completed system by a manufacturer's representative (at the customer's expense for a reasonable fee) to initiate warranty coverage.  I believe it's done that way in the roofing industry where, as in HVAC, most failures come from poor installation workmanship rather than defects in materials.   

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2021, 10:07:26 pm »
Also if you do it right, failures are in my experience quite rare. Between furnaces and heat pumps I've installed about 10 of them so far starting more than 16 years ago. At this time every single one of them is still going strong, one I'm getting ready to replace just because I want something better and more efficient, not because there's anything wrong with it. The only problems I've had are the motor run capacitors in two of the heat pumps failed several years ago, that's a $10 part that is a common failure item. It's not rocket science, the equipment is not particularly complex and it is designed to last decades. All you really need is some attention to detail, do neat and tidy work and in the case of anything involving refrigeration, keep all parts of the hermetic system absolutely clean and dry. Handle it like a body you are doing surgery on, not a spec of dust or contamination inside. If you can follow instructions and do really nice quality silver soldered or brazed sweat connections on copper pipes chances are it will just work.

Offline AlbertL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2021, 10:58:58 pm »
My only other concerns about a DIY install is the risk that manufacturers may start shipping equipment that requires entering an activation code, or may stop making manuals publicly available online.  All to "protect the consumer from the dangers of unauthorized installation", of course.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2021, 01:36:45 am »
Thanks for giving them ideas on locking products to pissants pretending to add value.
Here you can purchase electrical goods and wire a house yourself DIY, and the gasfitting Home Depot sells the fittings and pipe, hot water tank, fireplace etc.
It's just the final inspection that gets done by the municipality to close the permit.
One friend had a furnace moved and the contractor used his teenage son and friend to do the sheet metal work. It looked so bad the work, I called regulatory and caused a shit storm because a gas vent is not something kids do.
Unfortunately, anyone can claim to be a plumber.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf