Author Topic: How to change "Display Name" in forum?  (Read 9714 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline YaksaredabombTopic starter

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 124
  • Country: us
How to change "Display Name" in forum?
« on: June 04, 2013, 04:48:52 pm »
I'd like to change my "Display Name" so it is different from my username.

I've looked here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/help/

And followed that to here:
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Profile

Which says this:
"Name - While their username cannot usually be changed, a member may change their display name at any time. Other members browsing the forum will see display names instead of usernames in most places."

I can't figure out how to actually do this, though.  Thanks for any help!

(I couldn't find a place dedicated to technical issues with the forum itself.  If there's a better place to post this question please let me know and I'll move it.  Thanks again.)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 06:31:00 pm by jneumann »
My display name changed June 6th from "jneumann" to "Yaksaredabomb"
 

Offline Mike Warren

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 439
  • Country: au
    • Personal Website
Re: How to change "Display Name" in forum?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 11:17:54 pm »
My memory could be failing me, but I seem to remember from when I used SMF a few years ago that editable display names was an administrative option, so it's probably disabled on this forum.
 

Offline xrunner

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7968
  • Country: us
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: How to change "Display Name" in forum?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 11:21:10 pm »
My memory could be failing me, but I seem to remember from when I used SMF a few years ago that editable display names was an administrative option, so it's probably disabled on this forum.

Correct.  :)

Just ask the Admin and I'm sure he will do it.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.
 

Offline YaksaredabombTopic starter

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 124
  • Country: us
Re: How to change "Display Name" in forum?
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 12:04:12 am »
...editable display names was an administrative option, so it's probably disabled on this forum.
Correct.  :)

Just ask the Admin and I'm sure he will do it.

Ah ha, that could be it.  Thanks both of you.  I suppose to some extent it probably makes sense - it would get confusing if everyone was changing their name all the time - but once per 12 months or something might not hurt.  In my case, I like being transparent and using real names - seems more personal that way - but found virtually no one else does here (except Dave and you, Mike :P ) so it seems wisest to join the crowd and use a different handle.
 
Edit June 6th: My display name has recently changed from "jneumann" to "Yaksaredabomb"
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 12:38:17 pm by Yaksaredabomb »
My display name changed June 6th from "jneumann" to "Yaksaredabomb"
 

Offline EEVblog

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 42272
  • Country: au
    • EEVblog
Re: How to change "Display Name" in forum?
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 12:10:59 am »
Ah ha, that could be it.  Thanks both of you.  I suppose to some extent it probably makes sense - it would get confusing if everyone was changing their name all the time - but once per 12 months or something might not hurt.  In my case, I like being transparent and using real names - seems more personal that way - but found virtually no one else does here (except Dave and you, Mike :P) so it seems wisest to join the crowd and use a different handle.

Yes, it is disabled for the reason you mention. It used to be enabled but the majority decided it should be disabled to prevent confusion.
I can change display names on a case by case basis if asked.
 

Offline Mike Warren

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 439
  • Country: au
    • Personal Website
Re: How to change "Display Name" in forum?
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 12:14:25 am »
but found virtually no one else does here (except Dave and you, Mike :P)

Except my real name is Slartibartfast. :)
 
The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding, iv3wjr

Offline xrunner

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7968
  • Country: us
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: How to change "Display Name" in forum?
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 12:19:28 am »
In my case, I like being transparent and using real names - seems more personal that way - but found virtually no one else does here (except Dave and you, Mike :P) so it seems wisest to join the crowd and use a different handle.

But who's to say if a person is using a "real name"? How do you know they are?

If I told you my real name was Dan Brown, would you believe me?
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.
 

Offline Mike Warren

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 439
  • Country: au
    • Personal Website
Re: How to change "Display Name" in forum?
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 12:28:46 am »
If I told you my real name was Dan Brown, would you believe me?

I thought your name was Kurt Cobain.
 

Offline xrunner

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7968
  • Country: us
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: How to change "Display Name" in forum?
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 12:35:23 am »
I thought your name was Kurt Cobain.

Naw, I couldn't fool you with that name, 'cause he's dead.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.
 

Offline Mike Warren

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 439
  • Country: au
    • Personal Website
Re: How to change "Display Name" in forum?
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 12:41:07 am »
I wondered why he'd been quiet in recent years.
 

Offline xrunner

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7968
  • Country: us
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: How to change "Display Name" in forum?
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 12:52:29 am »
I wondered why he'd been quiet in recent years.

Oh gosh he's been dead a long time now. Shot himself with a shotgun he did.

Damn good song writer though.  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.
 

Offline YaksaredabombTopic starter

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 124
  • Country: us
Re: How to change "Display Name" in forum?
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 02:38:06 pm »
Haha, you guys are funny - and have a good point.
 
Dave, would you please change my name to "Yaksaredabomb"?  I'll send you a pm too, but I don't know how many 100's (1000's?) of those you get each day.
 
For whatever it's worth, once the change goes into effect I'll edit my most recent posts to include (formerly "jneumann") at the bottom.  I'll put that on any new posts I make in the next few days, too.  Not trying to "pull a fast one" on anyone, though this would be a good time to do it :P
 
Thanks all,
Jacob
 
(soon to be Yaksaredabomb, formerly "jneumann")
 
Edit/Update: Name's changed!  Thanks Dave!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 12:27:49 pm by Yaksaredabomb »
My display name changed June 6th from "jneumann" to "Yaksaredabomb"
 

Offline Charles5150

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 3
  • Country: es
Re: How to change "Display Name" in forum?
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2026, 10:57:29 am »
I registered with my email address as the username, without realising it would
  show publicly on every post. It is now visible on the forum and indexable by
  search engines, which I would rather avoid for the usual spam reasons.

  Account Settings shows the username as fixed text with no editable field, and I
  have no personal message link available, so I cannot change it myself or ask
  privately. Could an admin change it to Charles5150 ?

  Thanks, and sorry for the noise in the thread.
 

Offline Gyro

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11172
  • Country: gb
Re: How to change "Display Name" in forum?
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2026, 11:05:20 am »
You need to use the 'Report to moderator', bottom right of your post, to bring it to the admins attention. They don't routinely trawl the forum.
Best Regards, Chris
 

Offline SteveThackery

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3372
  • Country: gb
  • 50 year novice
Re: How to change "Display Name" in forum?
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2026, 05:02:54 pm »
In my case, I like being transparent and using real names - seems more personal that way - but found virtually no one else does here (except Dave and you, Mike :P ) so it seems wisest to join the crowd and use a different handle.

And me - I use my real name.

I think the anonymity that the Internet affords people is responsible for 95% of the appalling behaviour we see online. With the sole exception of eBay, I use my real name - Steve Thackery, usually concatenated to SteveThackery for historical reasons - literally everywhere. I am totally accountable for what I say and how I say it. I'm also happy to let everyone know that I live in Nottingham, in the UK.

So, we seem to agree, but perhaps for very different reasons. 😁
 
The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Halcyon

  • Global Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6807
  • Country: au
Re: How to change "Display Name" in forum?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2026, 12:07:57 am »
Could an admin change it to Charles5150 ?

Done.
 
The following users thanked this post: Charles5150

Offline wilfred

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1787
  • Country: au
Re: How to change "Display Name" in forum?
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2026, 07:59:42 am »
In my case, I like being transparent and using real names - seems more personal that way - but found virtually no one else does here (except Dave and you, Mike :P ) so it seems wisest to join the crowd and use a different handle.

And me - I use my real name.

I think the anonymity that the Internet affords people is responsible for 95% of the appalling behaviour we see online. With the sole exception of eBay, I use my real name - Steve Thackery, usually concatenated to SteveThackery for historical reasons - literally everywhere. I am totally accountable for what I say and how I say it. I'm also happy to let everyone know that I live in Nottingham, in the UK.

So, we seem to agree, but perhaps for very different reasons. 😁

I've always used my name. And that's got to be the oldest quoted post I think I have ever seen. 13 years!
 

Offline SteveThackery

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3372
  • Country: gb
  • 50 year novice
Re: How to change "Display Name" in forum?
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2026, 10:17:23 am »
I've always used my name. And that's got to be the oldest quoted post I think I have ever seen. 13 years!

Hah! Hadn't noticed. I just wanted pontificate about anonymity.
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->