Author Topic: ICs desoldering tool - do i need it?  (Read 6272 times)

Offline SnakeBiteTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • OBSESSED MODDER
ICs desoldering tool - do i need it?
« on: November 21, 2010, 08:25:07 am »
Hello,

i'd like to ask you guys if a normal lab should have this tool - PACE TP-65. it's a tool that allows to remove all kind of ICs and also use a vacuum to pick them up.

http://www.pacedirect.com/product.php?id=548

put the price at the side for a second , do i need it ? because i've got a good offer on it (under 50$) and i don't want to miss it.

thanks
Ido
Ido Aricha , Israel.

Offline Balaur

• Supporter
Re: ICs desoldering tool - do i need it?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 08:58:59 am »
Hello,

It looks a bit too specialized for my taste, but there are some uses for it, especially if you get the vacuum cups kit with it.

If you want it for a work lab, then buy it, you will be happy to have it when the need arises.

If you look at equipping your home lab, then I must ask you: do you already have a hot air station? If not, you should buy the air station first.

Cheers,
Dan

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 10:39:13 am »
if u think it will be a good buy then get it. only dont expect it to work on any chip. i second balaur on hot air station, its more generic for the purpose. unless u ar the repair tech that will repair many of one particular chip which suits the device tip dimension. IMHO.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Regular Contributor
  • OBSESSED MODDER
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 10:46:18 am »
Hello,

It looks a bit too specialized for my taste, but there are some uses for it, especially if you get the vacuum cups kit with it.

If you want it for a work lab, then buy it, you will be happy to have it when the need arises.

If you look at equipping your home lab, then I must ask you: do you already have a hot air station? If not, you should buy the air station first.

Cheers,
Dan

yes. i need it for home lab i have hot air station with vacuum pump.

if u think it will be a good buy then get it. only dont expect it to work on any chip. i second balaur on hot air station, its more generic for the purpose. unless u ar the repair tech that will repair many of one particular chip which suits the device tip dimension. IMHO.

yes i don't think i will use it vert often also but the price is good and the question is : does home labs need that tool or not?

p.s. i can replace the tip in this tool to be compalible with any chip almost.
Ido Aricha , Israel.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 11:10:30 am »
does home labs need that tool or not?
you are the one who can answer this. the question will get back to you.. do you need one?

p.s. i can replace the tip in this tool to be compalible with any chip almost.
the picture shown, it seems the tip is not replacable, or otherwise, need special type/brand to be fit in. but sure we/you can always mod it ;)
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Zedy

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 12:09:18 pm »
I have never used de-soldering tools, ordinary soldering iron and tweezers is good enough for me. :D

Offline CryptLordGR

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 12:15:18 pm »
as you talk about desoldering, a cheap chinese desoldering pump can help for DIP packages? or it better to keep money for a tool such as this?

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 12:22:19 pm »
Problem with this sort of tool is you need different tips for each package. Unless you're removing a large quantity of the same size chip it isn't worth it.
A hot air tool with a ~6mm nozzle and a little practice will do any size chip.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online djsb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 02:40:27 pm »
Do you have a sensatemp control unit to go with it? I'd buy it at $50, but that's because I have an MBT350 unit that it will work with. It may not work with other units as plug has to be compatible, thats unless you can rewire it.

David
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

• Regular Contributor
  • OBSESSED MODDER
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 04:36:41 pm »
i have PACE MBT 250 that DO support this tool.
but thanks for you comments guys i desided not to buy it form many reasons.

thanks for helping me decide
Ido
Ido Aricha , Israel.

Offline TopherTheME

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 04:52:09 pm »
The only reason you would ever need a tool like this is if you are desoldering chips on boards that have a high part density. In most hobby type cases a hot air station will work just fine but if there's a lot of parts around the IC you're trying to unsolder you will just be blowing your parts all over the place.
Don't blame me. I'm the mechanical engineer.

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 03:03:31 am »
The only reason you would ever need a tool like this is if you are desoldering chips on boards that have a high part density. In most hobby type cases a hot air station will work just fine but if there's a lot of parts around the IC you're trying to unsolder you will just be blowing your parts all over the place.

That's where IR rework station comes in, no wind.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 12:38:05 pm »
That's where IR rework station comes in, no wind.
i tried blowing from the other side of pcb to desolder smd on the other side, took more time and temp though and pain holding the gun... iirc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf