Author Topic: kws-x1 usb tester from kowsi  (Read 18907 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline zerkisTopic starter

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 2
  • Country: bg
kws-x1 usb tester from kowsi
« on: March 19, 2025, 10:50:39 am »
i've ordered kws-x1 usb tester on aliexpress recently and i've tried to find people who have bought it and on youtube there is only one video. i think it is quite new i haven't seen it on aliexpress before. But the thing that caught my attention is the capability of the device it can diagnose the ripple of the power supply,trigger pd,test pd and more. I think it really has a big potential for firmware upgrades. unfortunately i don't understand enough programing to try and modify the firmware. if anyone is interested to look into it.
 

Offline tom66

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8839
  • Country: gb
  • Professional HW / FPGA / Embedded Engr. & Hobbyist
Re: kws-x1 usb tester from kowsi
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2025, 01:34:53 pm »
I've got the basic KWS-2302C dongle for seeing how much current and at what voltage a USB-C device works at, it's quite a neat device. It wasn't very expensive and based on comparative measurements made by my laptop's BMS, it seems to be reasonably accurate.
 

Offline thm_w

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9807
  • Country: ca
  • Non-expert
Re: kws-x1 usb tester from kowsi
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2025, 10:33:27 pm »
The Fnirsi also does ripple as well, but the UI is horrific. https://www.fnirsi.com/products/fnb58
At least this one has multiple buttons, that might help.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/which-usb-power-tester-do-you-recommend/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fnb58-app/
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures
 

Offline nieldk

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 1
  • Country: dk
Re: kws-x1 usb tester from kowsi
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2025, 11:53:51 am »
There is a flashing tool, and updated firmware (v1.0.2) listed here
https://mysku.club/blog/aliexpress/102921.html
 

Offline schmadde

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 16
  • Country: de
Re: kws-x1 usb tester from kowsi
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2025, 10:27:29 am »
I've got the basic KWS-2302C dongle for seeing how much current and at what voltage a USB-C device works at, it's quite a neat device. It wasn't very expensive and based on comparative measurements made by my laptop's BMS, it seems to be reasonably accurate.
I got one of those, too. While it looked nice at first, I consider it the worst piece of junk I ever bought concerning USB "Multimeters".

It measures o.k. in the 5-15V range at lower power settings, but at 20V 45W+ the energy count is completely off (by at least a factor of two!), while voltage and current look reasonable, and even Capacity looks reasonable.
At 28V even the current is way off (again, by about 2* factor) and energy counted is only a fraction 1/5 of values measuered by every other equipment I have.

Does your Meter show the same behaviour?
 
The following users thanked this post: Joanne

Offline tom66

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8839
  • Country: gb
  • Professional HW / FPGA / Embedded Engr. & Hobbyist
Re: kws-x1 usb tester from kowsi
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2025, 10:29:32 am »
I've got the basic KWS-2302C dongle for seeing how much current and at what voltage a USB-C device works at, it's quite a neat device. It wasn't very expensive and based on comparative measurements made by my laptop's BMS, it seems to be reasonably accurate.
I got one of those, too. While it looked nice at first, I consider it the worst piece of junk I ever bought concerning USB "Multimeters".

It measures o.k. in the 5-15V range at lower power settings, but at 20V 45W+ the energy count is completely off (by at least a factor of two!), while voltage and current look reasonable, and even Capacity looks reasonable.
At 28V even the current is way off (again, by about 2* factor) and energy counted is only a fraction 1/5 of values measuered by every other equipment I have.

Does your Meter show the same behaviour?

It seems to be accurate at 20V in terms of voltage, current and power, I have no devices that operate above this voltage to confirm if it is erroneous above that point. 
 

Offline schmadde

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 16
  • Country: de
Re: kws-x1 usb tester from kowsi
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2025, 11:01:32 am »

It seems to be accurate at 20V in terms of voltage, current and power, I have no devices that operate above this voltage to confirm if it is erroneous above that point.
Voltage, current and power look ok on mine too at 20V. But energy count ist completely off and that is what I care most about (I use those devices to measure powerbanks frequently)

At 28V also Current is wrong.
 

Offline gnif

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 1937
  • Country: au
  • Views and opinions are my own
Re: kws-x1 usb tester from kowsi
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2025, 06:23:19 am »
Коллеги с 4PDA выложили новые прошивки для Kowsi-X1: 1.0.3 и 1.0.4
Там появилась функция проверки кабеля с E-Marker
https://disk.yandex.by/d/LE5O7s4li4FFiQ/ в разделе "Тестеры других производителей" - Kowsi
-------
Те кто эти прошивки установил, говорят что они портят определение протоколов.
Ставить пока не стоит !!!!!

This is an English forum, if you're not wiling to post in English please find a community that is in your preferred language.
 

Offline Teetanium

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 1
  • Country: vn
Re: kws-x1 usb tester from kowsi
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2025, 12:35:11 pm »
Firmware v1.0.4 support check E-marker: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kQRsacXMCYl7J0iXY8z0MHr-mgAhhsHx/view
Press and hold the Back button and the OK button at the same time to enter Bootloader
« Last Edit: July 25, 2025, 12:39:59 pm by Teetanium »
 

Offline Magnets

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 13
  • Country: gb
Re: kws-x1 usb tester from kowsi
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2025, 08:47:03 pm »
Is this thing able to remember PPS trigger settings? i.e. set it to 24v, remove power, re-power. does it remember to trigger 24v?
 

Offline u666sa

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 893
  • Country: us
  • Miami, FL
    • Codernov Electronics Repair
Re: kws-x1 usb tester from kowsi
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2025, 12:17:41 am »
I've got witrn u3 and c5 with aluminum bodies in cherry red

 

Offline jewelie

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 135
  • Country: gb
  • Everyone's gotta start somewhere
    • Personal website, of sorts, sometimes with a Pi-driven bird-feeder webcam (currently down but will be putting it up again in the near future with IR capability.)
Re: kws-x1 usb tester from kowsi
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2025, 01:59:44 pm »
I have a bit of an addiction to USB meters, if I'm honest.

I already have lots, including an FNB which can do protocol testing, listening, and triggering and id eMarker chips. It's old, the UI is horrid, it does have some odd bugs, and it's not getting any more firmware updates.

Please help me find good excuses to buy a KWS-X1!

(Yes, I do know I'm asking you to be an enabler to my addiction.  :-DD )

I'll start:
  • It's just been my birthday
  • They make me happy
  • It's not too expensive
  • ?
Anxious newbie to EEVblog.  Resuming an interest in basic electronics after a close shave with a joint EE/Computing degree decades ago
 
The following users thanked this post: Joanne

Offline Jelbert

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 21
  • Country: nl
Re: kws-x1 usb tester from kowsi
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2025, 10:17:55 pm »
ok I'll buy one. I was already looking into buying this one but. So if you are addicted to it it must be a nice bit of kit.
 

Offline jewelie

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 135
  • Country: gb
  • Everyone's gotta start somewhere
    • Personal website, of sorts, sometimes with a Pi-driven bird-feeder webcam (currently down but will be putting it up again in the near future with IR capability.)
Re: kws-x1 usb tester from kowsi
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2025, 10:46:59 pm »
ok I'll buy one. I was already looking into buying this one but. So if you are addicted to it it must be a nice bit of kit.

It's the ripple voltage measurement.  I've not got one that'll do that.  With the latest firmware it now also reads eMarker chips on top of listing charger protocols, so it seems to be a good all-in-one unit.
Anxious newbie to EEVblog.  Resuming an interest in basic electronics after a close shave with a joint EE/Computing degree decades ago
 

Offline jewelie

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 135
  • Country: gb
  • Everyone's gotta start somewhere
    • Personal website, of sorts, sometimes with a Pi-driven bird-feeder webcam (currently down but will be putting it up again in the near future with IR capability.)
Re: kws-x1 usb tester from kowsi
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2025, 02:37:14 pm »
Mine arrived today.

NGL, I'm impressed, especially with the 125ks/s to 5Ms/s little ripple scope with FFT.  Text very small even for my shortsightedness though.

£7.50 GBP delivered.  Already had the v1.0.4 updated firmware.  Set to English.  Will check calibration at some point.

Anxious newbie to EEVblog.  Resuming an interest in basic electronics after a close shave with a joint EE/Computing degree decades ago
 

Offline xfint34

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 50
  • Country: ca
Re: kws-x1 usb tester from kowsi
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2026, 07:12:36 pm »
Firmware version 1.0.5 is available.

Relevant links.
https://tomoca2.hatenablog.com/entry/2026/02/11/215658
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SuGoDPUbEZWjM3SW5MWWBm0r6pa91i0m/view

Change log translated from the Japanese site.
Quote
V1.0.5
 - Enhanced PPS Support (20mV voltage steps, max 21V, current accuracy ±0.8%)
 - Faster and More Stable Negotiation
 - Improved PDO interpretation
 - Enhanced measurement accuracy (ADC 5kHz, improved transient capture)
 - Improved usability (1.8-second startup, automatic backlight dimming)
 - Bug fixes (memory leaks, display errors, calibration retention)
 - Added factory reset


I haven't seen firmware upgrade instructions written down simply anywhere. So here's the basics.

To enter bootloader mode:
  • Set the switch to ON.
  • Hold down BACK and OK buttons.
  • Plug a USB-C cable from a Windows PC into the female port on the tester.
  • The screen should say "Bootloader V1.1"


Flashing firmware almost never works on the first try. It can require several tries until it works.

Firmware v1.0.5 seems more difficult upgrading from a more recent version. So you have to flash v1.0.1 or v1.0.2 first. Then flash v1.0.5.

The flasher will erase the firmware first then try flashing. If flashing never succeeds then the device will remain in bootloader mode. So if you're wary about potentially breaking device then don't bother.


 
The following users thanked this post: Joanne, grimson

Offline jewelie

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 135
  • Country: gb
  • Everyone's gotta start somewhere
    • Personal website, of sorts, sometimes with a Pi-driven bird-feeder webcam (currently down but will be putting it up again in the near future with IR capability.)
Re: kws-x1 usb tester from kowsi
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2026, 06:35:27 pm »
Thank you!

Going from 1.0.4 to 1.0.3 only took two tries for me, and then from 1.0.3 to 1.0.5 was only two tries again.
Anxious newbie to EEVblog.  Resuming an interest in basic electronics after a close shave with a joint EE/Computing degree decades ago
 

Offline Joanne

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 2
  • Country: gb
Re: kws-x1 usb tester from kowsi
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2026, 05:25:26 pm »
 Hi

first post dunno if im in the right place

Ive updated to firmware 1.0.5U from 1.0.4 ( which took reverting back to 1.0.2 before it would work)
 
was trying to resolve 2 issues which were the device reverting to the time-graph screen regardless of the screen it was last on (reverting) and
the 0.0265 A offset with no load connected 

it "fixed" the reverting but not the offset ... i've tried everything i can think of, Using my "poorly" FNC88 it seems the X1 isnt allowing for its own
power use as the FNC88 reads this as the power the X1 uses

 |O at wits end trying to zero this out

i've tried the factory reset in the new FW and its not helped, i cant find.. and am lead to believe on reading around there is no calibration on this version
surely not! i'm pretty sure it wasn't always like this !

I'm out of ideas so i came here
« Last Edit: February 28, 2026, 11:12:47 pm by Joanne »
 

Offline grimson

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 1
  • Country: nl
Re: kws-x1 usb tester from kowsi
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2026, 05:39:48 pm »
Thanks, executed as instructed.
From the archive I used 'KWS-X1 OTA 英文版.exe' and the 'KWS-X1_V105U.X1C'.
I needed 2 tries but it flashed successfully. Previous firmware was i think v1.0.3.
My locale was English and the firmware KWS-X1_V105U.X1C defaulted to English post flash. (Can select as previous firmware language: English or Chinese)
 

Offline Joanne

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 2
  • Country: gb
Re: kws-x1 usb tester from kowsi
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2026, 07:05:51 pm »
 :scared:
I guess I am in the wrong place...   :horse:
 

Offline maxwang

  • Contributor
  • !
  • Posts: 16
  • Country: td
  • i only dabble here
Re: kws-x1 usb tester from kowsi
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2026, 04:46:01 pm »
How useful is a ripple meter when there is no external power option?   The power being measured as the power source isn't sketchy?

102 failed
102 again worked
105 UTC worked


 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->