Author Topic: Linux Code of Conduct claims a victim  (Read 4174 times)

Online daqqTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • My site
Linux Code of Conduct claims a victim
« on: August 27, 2020, 08:48:26 pm »
In short: Due to a bizarre reaction from person X who saw person Y in a MAGA hat, person Y has been dis-invited from a Linux conference by the Linux Foundation.

http://blog.cleancoder.com/uncle-bob/2019/11/08/OpenLetterLinuxFoundation.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8TcBeltvk4&feature=youtu.be

This is how linux (and freedom) can die.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
Re: Linux Code of Conduct claims a victim
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 09:13:29 pm »
  I agree with Robert Martin's letter, The Linux Foundation had no business responding to a public complaint or in responding to it publicly and in both cases, they themselves committed violations of their own Code of Conduct.  I also don't see how the victim, Mr Wood, committed any violation of the Code of Conduct by wearing a MAGA hat.  This country has always believed in the Freedom of Speech and I believe that the original complaint and the Linux Foundation's public response and their subsequent banning My Wood from their event are all clear violations of his Right to Freedom of Speech.

The Linux Foundation can go F*** themselves!

The following users thanked this post: amyk, wraper, SerieZ, eti

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 09:17:05 pm »
Our events should and will be a safe space.
:palm:
Am I the only one who smell SJW here?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 09:20:17 pm by asmi »

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 09:43:15 pm »
The Linux "community" at large, need to get a life and grow up, and also keep out of the affairs of grown ups. Is it any surprise that this collective have never made it to the mainstream with a TRULY successful commercial, uniform, predictable product? These morons are too busy bickering over window managers and "the proper way" to do package management.

This is the "community" you're dealing with:

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/can-we-please-stop-talking-about-the-linux-desktop/
https://betanews.com/2013/07/16/childish-names-are-becoming-a-real-problem-for-linux/
https://marcelgommans.wordpress.com/2012/07/26/why-linux-will-never-rule-on-the-desktop/
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/linux-good-opinion/
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 09:50:11 pm by eti »

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 10:27:27 pm »
Somebody needs to create me some software for free on their spare time and stop having fun while doing it.
:-DD

Am I the only one who smell SJW here?
Everybody has been saying that Open Sores is just a bunch of communists, what do you expect :P

Online Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 10:33:30 pm »
This country has always believed in the Freedom of Speech and I believe that the original complaint and the Linux Foundation's public response and their subsequent banning My Wood from their event are all clear violations of his Right to Freedom of Speech.

The US Constitution does indeed protect the right to free speech, but only from infringement by the government itself. It does nothing to protect free speech in a private setting, such as the Linux Foundation.

Don't believe me? Try to speak for your company (assuming you work for one) and then use the "free speech" defense and see how far that gets you.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

The following users thanked this post: Bassman59, newbrain

Offline Muku

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 10:41:26 pm »
As much as I dislike the whole MAGA brigade and their cult of personality following, I don't agree with people being banned for wearing a hat.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 12:48:03 am »
Well maybe it stood for Make ArchLinux Great Again.  :-DD
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 04:48:03 am »
It sounds a lot like the "MAGA" hat person was pushing a personal agenda.
It's what they used to call "dragging your coat tails".
Nuts on both sides of the political spectra love doing stuff like this so they can claim "persecution".

I would, personally, not even wear a "Fremantle Dockers" jumper to a conference of such a kind.
In Oz, that would more than likely get you  in a fight! ;D
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 04:53:08 am by vk6zgo »

The following users thanked this post: SparkyFX

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 05:55:12 am »
This country has always believed in the Freedom of Speech and I believe that the original complaint and the Linux Foundation's public response and their subsequent banning My Wood from their event are all clear violations of his Right to Freedom of Speech.

The US Constitution does indeed protect the right to free speech, but only from infringement by the government itself. It does nothing to protect free speech in a private setting, such as the Linux Foundation.
This. This so much.

People just can't wrap their heads around the concept that the only thing that matters is the Constitution, that the Constitution restricts the government and largely leaves it to the People to maintain social order, and that Corporations are People too. They are even more People than you because of all the lawyers and lobbying they can afford. When was the last time you payed for your elected representative's holidays in appreciation of his work, huh?

So stop whining that a corporation exercises its Freedom of Speech and refuses to platform fringe right wing political options. Your right to whine is as true as the corporation's right to play anti-fascist police, but actually exercising it makes you look like an envious, spoiled child.

>:D
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 05:56:55 am by magic »

The following users thanked this post: JohanH, blueskull

Offline JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 07:18:41 am »

I don't see how. It is open source. Please take your agenda elsewhere.

Online daqqTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 07:29:07 am »

I don't see how. It is open source. Please take your agenda elsewhere.
What exactly is my agenda? I do not support Trump, nor his fanboys. But removing people from a professional/scientific conference due to their political views is simply not OK and sets up a very dangerous precedence.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 07:29:55 am »
It's time to "fork" the Linux Foundation and let the SJW branche slowly die...  ;D

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 07:33:24 am »
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

And no. Practically firing someone from their work, because of their political view is not OK.
It is one step away from sending the black van during the night to drag them away into the gulag.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 07:36:59 am by NANDBlog »

The following users thanked this post: amyk

Offline JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 08:06:50 am »

And no. Practically firing someone from their work, because of their political view is not OK.

It is not OK to advertise political agendas at work. In most places this is frowned upon and is at least seen as bad behavior by many people. Of course, different companies could have different rules.

It is one step away from sending the black van during the night to drag them away into the gulag.

I'm definitely not worried about the so called SJW group starting sending such vans. Is there any real evidence for that? The accusations about "SJW", "commies" etc. seem to come from people having a political view that somehow neatly fits into the views of the MAGA people where you are allowed to look down on "foreign" people, people of different color etc. Many of the MAGA people have made very clear that they do not accept all people as equal human beings. So is it so surprising that people with such extreme political views could be banned from such events? And latest developments indicate that it is this group of people that are most likely to start sending those black vans during night. Indeed the last days there have been openly expressed views about justifying murder of what they call "commies" or whatever term they make up. That is much more worrying right now.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2020, 08:25:44 am »
I don't support Trump.  I despise him in fact.  I think he is one of the worst US presidents in recent memory, and his incompetence has impacts across the globe.  I think his supporters wearing 'MAGA' hats are fools.

However I will fight to the end to defend someone wearing a MAGA hat if that is what they choose to do so.  It is fair game to criticise them, to challenge them, but it is their right, and a 'MAGA' hat is not and should not be offensive speech.

The following users thanked this post: amyk, daqq

Offline krish2487

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2020, 08:27:46 am »
I'm definitely not worried about the so called SJW group starting sending such vans. Is there any real evidence for that? The accusations about "SJW", "commies" etc. seem to come from people having a political view that somehow neatly fits into the views of the MAGA people where you are allowed to look down on "foreign" people, people of different color etc. Many of the MAGA people have made very clear that they do not accept all people as equal human beings. So is it so surprising that people with such extreme political views could be banned from such events? And latest developments indicate that it is this group of people that are most likely to start sending those black vans during night. Indeed the last days there have been openly expressed views about justifying murder of what they call "commies" or whatever term they make up. That is much more worrying right now.

Isnt the banning of the individual a metaphorical black van? just because they(the SJW) do not align with the banned individuals political views?
MAGA supporters (extremists and others) might have expressed any opinion of theirs. It is their right to express it. and yours to disagree with it.
What is not acceptable, as others have pointed out, is to enforce an arbitrary set of rules owing to a political difference of opinion. You said it yourself, it is frowned upon to talk politics at workplace. What should have been done is
1. Not give a damn about political affiliations in a unrelated technical event.
2. If the LF felt the need to do so, do ask the individual to be a little aware of bringing political views to a technical event, but discreetly and privately.
In any case, banning the individual is a big no no.

Say I dont agree with what you hold as views on this forum. Does that mean I can make a public complaint about it in a thread and the mods take action by banning you publicly and make a statement in the thread? How is it even relevant to electronics? And why should your political views be the cause of such explusion for you?

Do you see where I am going with this?
If god made us in his image,
and we are this stupid
then....

The following users thanked this post: daqq

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2020, 08:36:56 am »
  I agree with Robert Martin's letter, The Linux Foundation had no business responding to a public complaint or in responding to it publicly and in both cases, they themselves committed violations of their own Code of Conduct.  I also don't see how the victim, Mr Wood, committed any violation of the Code of Conduct by wearing a MAGA hat. 

The US has gone batshit crazy.
Or to be more correct, Joe Public is just now so scared to just tell some complainer to piss off, and not to bring politics into somewhere it doesn't belong, that it's causing everyone to cave in every time someone complains about something.
It's not that other countries aren't going the same way, but it seems to have hit peak stupidity in the US.
Pictured wearing a MAGA hat? That was enough to get someone barred from a conference? What a ridiculous state of affairs.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 08:46:00 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: MasterBuilder, daqq, tszaboo, RenThraysk

Offline JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2020, 08:48:00 am »
Do you see where I am going with this?

I see your point.

Isnt the banning of the individual a metaphorical black van? just because they(the SJW) do not align with the banned individuals political views?

The problem is, like EEVBlog said, the US is going batshit crazy. And this on many fronts. I can't tell who started it, but the so called "SJW" group's reactions (if they can be called a group; there is no such organization) are definitely triggered by the hostility and agenda of the extreme right in the US. In fact on the extreme right this is not metaphorical anymore. You can't just blame one side, it all belongs together whether we want it or not.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2020, 08:53:59 am »
The problem is, like EEVBlog said, the US is going batshit crazy. And this on many fronts. I can't tell who started it, but the so called "SJW" group's reactions (if they can be called a group; there is no such organization) are definitely triggered by the hostility and agenda of the extreme right in the US. In fact on the extreme right this is not metaphorical anymore. You can't just blame one side, it all belongs together whether we want it or not.

The thing I don't get with the extreme hatred for Trump supporters is that it's practically half of the country.
Really, you are going to hate and fight with half the country? Geeze, chill out.

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2020, 08:58:34 am »

The thing I don't get with the extreme hatred for Trump supporters is that it's practically half of the country.
Really, you are going to hate and fight with half the country? Geeze, chill out.

Take a few steps back, see thing wider, different perspective ... and then the words "divide et impera" feels becoming so bold and deep.  >:D

Offline JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2020, 09:08:49 am »

I'm not sure it is hatred. Maybe a realistic viewpoint of us human beings. Seeing the danger with especially some sort of human behavior and where it could lead. Personally I just feel pity for them. Just look at history. 80 years ago there were not just half countries, but whole countries going totally insane here in Europe. Millions of people died because of that (everyone's grandparents over here were were hit by the effects in some way so we know about it literally).

Offline ercapoccia

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2020, 09:15:07 am »
USA is in a very dark place right now. It is falling apart. I hope the negative trend change soon.

Offline SerieZ

• Regular Contributor
  • Zap!
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2020, 09:20:12 am »

I'm not sure it is hatred. Maybe a realistic viewpoint of us human beings. Seeing the danger with especially some sort of human behavior and where it could lead. Personally I just feel pity for them. Just look at history. 80 years ago there were not just half countries, but whole countries going totally insane here in Europe. Millions of people died because of that (everyone's grandparents over here were were hit by the effects in some way so we know about it literally).

To me it is fairly obvious hatred and it is quite a similar powder keg as the one that exploded 80 years ago.
Many people are extremely fed up of being pushed around and the bullies won't back down because they think of themselves as victims.

BTW we are heading for the same in Europe - it is a Western Crisis.
As easy as paint by number.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2020, 09:30:46 am »
When you have gone so insanely far left, everything even a little on the right side of you seems far right.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf