General > General Technical Chat

magic smoke day (week)

(1/3) > >>

charliex:
Today's just been one of those days, you know the ones where you take all the precautions and something just doesn't align... the fatal puff of grey smoke and the acrid smell, and bye bye to that $2,000+ 1U server you literally just took out of the box :) which is meant to be a replacement for the one that died last week..

made a decent sized hole in one of the chips though, but these things are 1600W. luckily the semiconductors all protected the fuses just as they're supposed too, so thats nice.

Then i changed out a video card in my devbox and pushed the machine backwards slightly since it was a tight fit., which pressed the on/off switch, and of course its set to auto power on... eeep!, more smoke but this time no problems.

So i'm spending the day not touching any electronics, except my lapt$%$%op...

On an unrelated note, anyone done any studies on ESD and being barefoot ? I've already ditched my "wireless" ESD band as pseudo science, this isn't responsible for what happened, but it made me think about it.

Simon:
wireless ESD band ? you should have a band round you wrist that IS grounded, I normally use a short-cut called keeping the power plug in so that the unit is grounded even with the socket switched off, providing I touch the case frequently which is impossible not to do anyhow it should be ok... nothing blown yet  :P

charliex:
yeah i have a wired one that goes to a pad on the table thats grounded. I had a wireless one that i converted to a wired one..

Yes yes i know, but i thought why not give it a go, once i actually looked at it and saw what it was i, i realised yes in some very closed definition of "works" it does, but in no way, shape or form is it going to work well enough to protect an electronics from an ESD. But marketing what it is, you can sell something that just doesn't work and caveat emptor.

Funny thing is that lots of electronics shops sell them here.

Pyr0Beast:
Ever thought of that repairing things makes them even more broken ? :)

Polossatik:

--- Quote from: charliex on May 10, 2010, 09:17:58 pm ---
On an unrelated note, anyone done any studies on ESD and being barefoot ? I've already ditched my "wireless" ESD band as pseudo science, this isn't responsible for what happened, but it made me think about it.

--- End quote ---

ROFL.. a wireless ESD band... como'n Charlie, thankx for making my day  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version