I hope you can understand that I am in equal, if not greater, disbelief that anyone would think someone would somehow choose to be transgender just because it’s trendy, never mind that it’s widespread.
Sorry, Tooki, but I have to dispute that. With some caveats.
I have no data at hand, but from what I've seen it's entirely plausible that at least
some young people who consider themselves transgender have come to that conclusion not solely because of some deep-seated mismatch between their "binary" gender and their inner soul's desired one (to use a fairly tortured description: dunno how to better state that).
In other words, these days there's a certain cachet, a certain subcultural glamor associated with "against the grain" ideas of sexuality that could be pretty persuasive, especially to young people who are much more susceptible to such enticements from their peer group.
Now, two caveats: as I said, I have no data. How much of an influence might this be? Probably not all that great.
And what would be the dire consequences of this? Contrary to what the gay- and trans-bashers are trying to tell us, probably not much. Maybe a few guys wearing dresses or girls acting and dressing "butch" is all, I'm guessing.
So long as such enticements don't lead to major, irreversible actions like sex-reassignment surgery, then this phenomenon, if it exists, is kind of a nothingburger. And I don't believe there's a major assault on youth by "groomers" as the gay- and trans-bashers accuse.
On the other hand, it's entirely possible that there is an excessive push towards "treating" a child with gender confusion as a candidate for some kind of "transitioning" where it's not warranted by over-zealous social and medical care providers.
Again, no data, but there seems to be anecdotal evidence of this, by gender "partisans" on the other side of the fence from the bashers.