No.
I think a straight white male like myself can safely make a joke about a straight white male being very common in engineering.
In any case, this is not my workplace and I can post almost anything within reason online. I only have to behave myself when at work, or dealing with customers from work. I wouldn't make a joke like that in front of anyone from work, as it's not acceptable in a professional environment.
Sorry, I think you missed my point.
You're obviously welcome to freedom of speech and thought within your country's views of it, I suppose. I personally feel pretty much maximalist on that freedom.
The intent of the changes in language and training is at the core of the points or counter-jokes you might say I've made back. The organizations, people, and ideology behind these things are intent on changing you and your thoughts and speech.
You were making jokes, as you say, that would be "inappropriate" at work. That's not where these groups and ideologies intend to stop. Maybe it would be a useful tool to consider it religion. They are on a mission to convert people. My joke in this case, retort if you will, was that it obviously hasn't worked on you.
But you also don't mind the attempt, is my read. A lot of people, myself included, aren't ok with it, and the joke that if I'm of a certain group I should lighten up is exactly our point about why we're not ok with it.
Exactly the same is true for the UK and I would not want anything less to be true. And my example is to say just that: you cannot discriminate over protected characteristics, even if those would be seen as being in under-represented groups.
I'm a proponent of fighting discrimination, as I was brought up in a household that held that as a core belief. That's why I see these attempts as egregious, and I react to it; I don't let it slide, as you might say. I don't lighten up. Those responsible are willing to push it so far as to knowingly cross the line legally, hoping to gain some legal ground. This is the same thing that happens today in the US, where lawmakers pass laws they know will be struck down in court later. They promote the ideology at all costs and aren't interested in building a better world.
LOL, okay, yeah. It is not my job to respect everyone's opinion equally because opinions are not equal, they are opinions. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, the UK and the US both have the concept of free speech, and I am not censoring yours am I? But I am also allowed to not agree with you or post a counterpoint. And I am not actively accusing anyone of anything - where was my accusation?
The training, as you know, demands that you respect everyone's opinion equally. I think I explained above why your comments are to my point that the training failed at its intent. Or I should say those who are programming it failed with you. You don't respect others' opinions equally, and I'm not trying to change that. But I'm also not ok with people pushing that I must promote and punish you for not treating everyone's opinions equally.
(A) Maybe, depends on the course. It won't make a racist person automatically not racist. It might make someone who thought making racist jokes in the canteen was OK change their mind. Just because "José from accounts" never complained, doesn't mean that he didn't find it offensive and it make the work environment a little more toxic for him.
(B) Depends on the practices. DEI is such a wide term. If you mean hiring on the basis of positive discrimination, I agree, in most countries that is illegal and I would go as far to say it is immoral and we should not be doing it. But having the concept of diversity, equity and inclusion in an organisation is not wrong provided it is more about understanding.
C) Agreed but that is not the objective of most workplace courses. The recommended standard in the UK is the ACAS course and you can go and look at the slides online, it's basically just "be mindful of what you say" and "this is what harrassment and bullying are". It is not "Mohammed is from an underrepresented group and scored poorly, you must hire him because you have 3% fewer Muslims than you should."
A) The intent is derived from the ideologues that started, created, and have virulently pushed the "retraining" and thought police activities of "woke 1.0"
B) Unfortunately, the well is poisoned by the term DEI. This too is intentional. You are trapped because you can't communicate that you fully support DEI in your head but don't support what is being pushed under that title. Sort of like the old joke, "When did you stop beating your wife?"
C) I think we agree in many ways. I think most people do when they actually talk. I just resist the diminishing of the significance of what's being done. I'm not being tin-foil hatted and thinking of secret societies; no more than the effort of "spreading the good word" is tin-foil hatted as the mission of some religions. And the whole "Woke" thing is exactly that and worse. It culturally absconded with a term, twisted it, and the DEI as described earlier, and now you're stuck being all those awful things unless you fall in line and change your thinking and language (speech).
Don't forget your misgendered connectors at the coffee shop; they should be tipped.