Author Topic: Marketing Bullshit of the week - this week's winner, NXP  (Read 3577 times)

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Marketing Bullshit of the week - this week's winner, NXP
« on: January 27, 2011, 10:49:03 pm »
<dave mode = ON>
NXP marketing dickheads produce NXP mobile App.
http://www.nxp.com/infocus/mobile_app/

* Search NXP products
    * Get product specifications (including datasheets and application diagrams)
    * Share product specifications via email or social media like Twitter and Facebook
    * Add products to your favorites
    * Create shopping carts
    * Place your order
    * Get support
    * Find our sales offices and distributors

Er, Hello...THIS IS WHAT YOUR FUCKING WEBSITE IS FOR, MORONS!
Nobody needs this crap on a mobile phone - if you have devleopers sitting round doung nothing, just tell them to make the website better, improve documentation, write appnotes, improve devtools, i.e. something actually useful to  the engineers you're trying to sell chips to.
Guess what - I go to nxp.com, search on a part number and the firsat page of results doesn't even find the user manual - useless!
What's worse, some muppet has even encouraged them by giving them an awardfor this crap - FFS STOP IT NOW! This will only encourage all the other marketing tossers at the other companies to follow like the dumb sheep they are.
<dave mode = off>
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
Re: Marketing Bullshit of the week - this week's winner, NXP
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 10:57:07 pm »
Feel Better Now? ;)
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 11:06:04 pm »
But, but, but ... the kids' won't use it if it isn't an app (f*cking stupid word, by the way).  Hey, these days they don't even do a dump without an app telling them when, where and why.

And didn't you know you can't do proper engineering and part selection if you aren't doing that social media thing? No Farad without Faceboot, no Tesla without Twitter.

Excuse me while I vomit - and then I put that picture of me vomiting on Farcebook.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 11:13:35 pm »
B@W
How DARE you.Don't you know FaceBook is the new religion? The cyberpolice will hunt you down like a dog and make you Fess up to your Blasphemy before having your router confiscated.You have been warned  :P
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Offline allanw

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronoblog
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 12:09:49 am »
I don't think it's a bad idea necesarily. An application will be faster and more streamlined than using a browser to navigate their site.

Digi-key has iphone and android apps too.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 12:38:40 am »
I don't think it's a bad idea necesarily. An application will be faster and more streamlined than using a browser to navigate their site.

I think the point is that the site should be fast and streamlined, and hence should not need an app to get those benefits.

Dave.

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 12:53:52 am »

I think the point is that the site should be fast and streamlined, and hence should not need an app to get those benefits.

That'd be nice, but it's also nice to have specifically mobile-optimised versions of sites (stuff apps, we don't all use Apple or Android!)  For instance, I have the mobile versions of the RS and Maplin sites bookmarked for quick lookups; in the case of Maplin, the 'check store stock' option is marginally less irritating than the one on the main site (furthering your point, I suppose)...  The mobile sites are much nicer to use on small screens and slow links than the full-blown sites, in much the same way as I imagine these apps would be, but you definitely wouldn't want to use them for 'real' browsing.

Offline glossywhite

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 12:31:40 pm »
But, but, but ... the kids' won't use it if it isn't an app (f*cking stupid word, by the way).  Hey, these days they don't even do a dump without an app telling them when, where and why.

And didn't you know you can't do proper engineering and part selection if you aren't doing that social media thing? No Farad without Faceboot, no Tesla without Twitter.

Excuse me while I vomit - and then I put that picture of me vomiting on Farcebook.

This would be funny if it weren't so true. Faceshit.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf